Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

There are two types of freelancers this book will help - those just starting out and those who have been struggling to achieve their dreams of becoming a wealthy freelancer.

If you are just starting out, this is a great resource that will save you countless hours of going down the wrong trail. If you have been at it for awhile but not achieving the success you desire, this book will give you some solid tips and techniques to get you on the right path.

The first thing you should get clear about is being a wealthy freelancer means different things to different people. It is not all about money. Money is important and this book has plenty of tips on how to increase your income. But living the life you want is much more important than just making money. So this book has lots of tips and suggestions on how to decide what is important to you and how to balance your work with other areas of your life.

The book starts off with a discussion about what being a wealthy freelancer really means. This sets the tone for the rest of the book. It is very important that you understand the realities of being a freelancer, both the benefits and the downside.

Then the next twelve chapters give secrets to being a successful freelancer - starting with the most important secret - Mastering the Mental Game. "Research continues to tell us that most people simply do not take the time to set goals and put them in writing." If you are going to be successful, you must get clear on what you want, who you want to work with and what value you are going to bring to your clients.

Another very important secret is how to create an amazing buzz piece. The authors go into great detail to explain what a buzz piece is and how to craft one that will attract potential clients. They give one of the best blueprints for creating a USP that I have seen. If you don't know what a USP is or have not crafted your own, you really need to get this book.

There are 10 other secrets to help any freelancer move forward toward their goals. At the end of each chapter is a summary - called Wealthy Takeaways- which recaps the important points in that chapter. Also there are lots or additional resources throughout the book.

This is a very well organized and written book. It is not based on some theory. It is written as a joint effort of three highly successful freelancers. They each give very specific examples from their own experience. You will get great value from reading this book. Implement the lessons and you can become a wealthy freelancer.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2010
As an experienced writer new to promotional freelance writing, I've read many books covering various aspects of copywriting.

This book---which marries the insights of three successful freelance copywriters---is the standout. Forget the overpriced ebooks and programs of AWAI--read and reread "The Wealthy Freelancer" and take the advice and exercises to heart.

Along with Peter Bowerman's "Well-Fed Writer" this is one of the two best books on the topic. Bowerman, however, is a generalist--an approach that may not work well for many people. In contrast, Slaunwhite, Savage, and Gandia provide an approach designed to help the entrepreneurial freelancer develop specialty areas that will set him/her apart from the generalists.

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. It is solid, hype-free, practical, and well written.

Whether you are new to freelancing or an experienced freelancer, this book has something to offer.
on March 15, 2010
I had downloaded "The Wealthy Freelancer" to my Kindle for a plane trip to and from Austin, TX. I thought just to pass the time. Boy, did I ever pass the time quickly. These guys have written an amazingly compelling page turner that will resonate with new freelancers just having made the leap as well as old hands who think they have seen and heard it all. I am always skeptical about books like this, thinking it's just so much cheer leading. This is anything but that. From the opening chapter it is crystal clear that these guys have the street cred to talk the talk. I was disturbing my seat mate on the flight by periodically saying aloud, "I've done that" or "I've thought that" or "Damn Right!" This is a book that I will keep as a reference manual and a booster shot for those times when I need reminding why I escaped from my office cubicle. In summation I would say you can read "The Wealthy Freelancer" now or waste several years of your life, read it later and say, "Why didn't I think of that."
on June 29, 2010
This book is well above average for its genre. No, that's not damning with faint praise, it's saying that you don't have to be into hype or marketing-speak to enjoy and benefit from it. Underneath the cheerleader-y language is... solid substance. It covers a wide array of freelancing issues, from marketing and pricing to time management and quality of life. If you're curious about the freelancing life, just starting out as a freelancer, or ready to take it to the next level, this book is worth reading. One of the things I liked best about it is that it doesn't take an all-or-nothing approach. You could apply the whole thing as a program, or take one piece of advice out of it and tweak one part of your practice.

Oddly, in spite of definitely NOT looking for an inspirational thing, I found myself looking at some of my "nahhh, that's probably unreachable" ideas in a new light after reading the book. But I also found some practical advice -- especially about marketing and pricing -- that cleared up what I was beginning to think of as hopeless mysteries.

If you're not sure if you want the book, go to their website and download the free sample chapters. Also, if you put it in your Amazon shopping cart and save it until you need something to kick your purchase price over the free-shipping limit, it will end up costing you less than a semi-decent lunch out.
on March 13, 2010
The words "Wealthy" and "Freelancer" don't seem to go together. It punches holes in the whole starving artist picture of freelancing--and yes that is the purpose of this book. Three respected authors combine forces to produce a business book which is loaded with insight for freelancers at every level.

Freelancers are notorious procrastinators. In Secret 8 on Focus, Pete Savage write, "Focus is what helped me go from barely paying the bills to busting through the six-figure income barrier." (page 148). If you want to take your business to a new level of income and effectiveness, then you need to read and re-read the wisdom packed into these pages.
on April 24, 2012
As a beginning freelanceer, I was suffering from information overload. Everyone had an ebook, a class, and coaching that was 'perfect for me'. It all cost way too much money, and everyone claimed if I ignored their advice I would never succeed.

The Wealthy Freelancer was just the book I needed to settle it all down and give me a step by step process to follow. I loved the advice about finding and cultivating high quality prospects over time. Finally, and end to the hype and nonsense! Thank you, Steve, Pete, and Ed, for making my freelance business more fun and more profitable.
on January 19, 2011
While I think this book has a great amount of advice it also has a lot of stuff that is just extra stuff. I got this book at the same time I got Starting your career as a freelance writer and I saw that the other book has so much more information for a semi-beginner like myself. If you buy this book buy another one also. It's not the type of book that can help you every step in this career. But it does give you 12 great tips.
on August 30, 2013
I am freelance graphic designer, who recently jumped ship from a very solid well paying (yet utterly soul sucking) corporate job to pursue things on my own. Prior to this I had freelanced a bunch, but I picked this book up to fill in the blanks even an experienced professional like me could have missed. One of the biggest take aways from this read is that I'm treating my work and mindset moving forward not as a solo freelancer, but as growing business that could flourish into one that includes employees. I think success comes from being humble, and the constant willingness and diligence to learn.

Here's to your own success!!
on December 15, 2010
If you've read a few of these types of books, you know that they are often full of hype and cheerleading. This book largely avoids those pitfalls, and manages to offer some practical advice in every chapter. I've been a business owner since 1996 and a freelancer since 2005. These guys were right on the money in terms of identifying some of my bad habits and thought patterns, and presenting some new thinking. Yes, the authors try to brand every concept with a proprietary name and TM mark, but that's just how these books are done. Ignore that, and this book represents money and time well spent.
on April 28, 2013
We are a small business and I bought the book without much expectations. I thought it was meant for freelancers and not small businesses like ours. But, I was BLOWN away by the information Steve gave away in the book. I purchased more of Steve's books. Information on "Lead Generation" & "Getting Clients" was so precise and useful that I incorporated them into my business immediately.

Wonderful book and highly recommended for freelancers as well as Small businesses - especially if you are looking information on 'lead genration' & 'getting clients'.