Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on bgg

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 26, 2007
One of my closest friends is a hardcore "foodie" but has a horrible wheat allergy. She must take antihistamines in order to indulge in her favorite foods, which is fine for the rare oppurtunity when we dined at Perse but not something you want to take everyday. So, when I found The Wheat-Free Cook, I took it upon myself to prepare a meal for her from scratch. Now first off, I don't like to bake but I knew bread was going to be a big deal for her. I made the recipe on page 133 (quick flatbread) and found it not only easy but extremely delicious! Luckily, I doubled the recipe as the rest of the diners devoured it along with the delectable short ribs on page119. This book offers classic cooking (a la Julia) and brings "gluten-free" out of the dark ages (nasty health food store selections, ugh). It's easy enough to use for the novice cook and innovative enough to inspire the toughest "foodies." I recommend it for ALL cooks-wheat free or not!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2008
The Wheat Free Cook is a fabulous resource for the Gluten Free Community. It is thorough in describing the flours and ingredients available. The recipes are quite easy to make, the end product is absolutely delicious and the best thing about the book is that finally there are nutritious recipes to be made, something that is not seen in many gluten free cookbooks.

I have had the book for more than 6 months and I would be truly lost without it.

Thank you Ms. Mallorca for simplifying cooking and baking in a gluten free world where now everyone in my family is eating gluten free (they do not have to) but they are choosing to because they LOVE the meals I am preparing. Thank you for the humor. GREAT BOOK
VINE VOICEon April 24, 2007
For people who have wheat allergies and other food related conditions, e.g. lactose intolerance, check out this book. Diet does not mean deprivation; rather it means accomodating different needs in re food.

This book has a good selection of wonderful recipes that are not just merely palatable. It brings gluten free into the sun of mainstream meals and out of the dark ages when gluten free meant drab and bland foods from specialty shops. You can cook wonderful dishes and nobody will be any the wiser that you are making inclusive meals that are gluten free. (Of course, if you wanted to, you might clue them in).

I highly recommend this treasure for all cooks regardless of food needs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A lot of the recipes in this book are just normal/good food, but that's important when faced with a restricted diet. When you find you can't have something, it's hard to think about what you CAN have.

The Chocolate-Walnut Cake is practically worth the price of the book.

I like that it's written by a seasoned food writer who just recently had to eliminate wheat, which sets it a world apart from life-long wheat-free cookbook authors who can't remember or don't know what really good pastry/crepes/etc taste like.
on December 2, 2007
This book opened up my cooking to a whole world of delicious and creative meals. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know how to use Quinoa, Amaranth and Buckwheat in interesting ways.

The recipes are well written and not complex to prepare. The introductory comments at the beginning of each recipe are amusing and informative.

Amazingly, I also found that I felt better and had more energy after eating more wheat-free meals. This book has been greatly appreciated by my celiac friends.
on January 12, 2008
All I can say is thank you to Jacqueline Mallorca for her wonderful book.
I'm allergic to wheat and cow's milk products and I called Williams-Sonoma
to ask her some questions and they reached her and she called me back with
some great advice.Sustitute goat's milk yogurt and goats milk for regular cows milk products. I have missed rye bread so much but if you make her rustic seed bread on page 140. You won't have to miss it.This week I'll
be making pizza. Kudos to the author.
on March 25, 2010
It was the reviews (even the negative one) that really made the decision for me to order this book over others. I love this book and I love Ms. Mallorca's approach to gluten-free cooking. Rarely (if ever) have I read where a chef sings the praises of gluten-free flours and talks about them as if they contribute to the success of a recipe, but that's exactly what Mallorca does. It makes gluten-free baking and cooking feel like a privilege, something positive, instead of a sacrifice or what us gluten-free people "have to get by on."

I have tried three recipes already (I've only had the book for less than 2 weeks) and they were all fantastic. The chocolate walnut cake lived up to a previous reviewer's comment about it. The other two recipes were as pleasant of a surprise as I could have hoped to get in a gluten-free cookbook: Rice Bran Muffins (tastes like the bran muffins I used to enjoy) and Toasted Quinoa (I use oats) Muesli (something I seriously thought I would never have after going gluten-free). I would say the Muesli recipe is worth the price of the book alone and it is so simple!

I look forward to trying all the bread recipes...they are so much simpler than previous recipes I've tried.
on April 3, 2010
This was my first gluten free cookbook--purchased on the recommendation of a GF friend. I have loved every recipe I've tried and been able to experiment and personalize the recipes working from her basic recipes. My family loves the rice flour crepes and yogurt pancakes. I love the snack bars and nut pie crust.

I'd recommend it to anyone and especially someone at the beginning of the GF journey. Buying mixes I find to be too expensive and this cookbook gives great recipes to mixing your own.

The only thing I'd suggest to other cooks is to half the butter in the recipes (especially muffins and nut crust)!
on April 6, 2009
Out of all the recipes and resources I've used to create gluten-free meals for my family, this book is the very best. I've tried many of the recipes and they have all been delicious. One reviewer remarked that many of the listed ingredients may not be found in the ordinary kitchen, but really, people with a gluten intolerance/allergy really need to investigate new food ideas. It's all stuff that can be found at the health food store. The last recipe I tried was the citrus/poppy muffins, and my 3 year old is scarfing them down. Get this book for the gluten-avoider in your life!
on September 17, 2007
Excellent Cookbook - high quality food. Have tried a handful of the recipes and all are excellent.