Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Wheatgrass Book: How to Grow and Use Wheatgrass to Maximize Your Health and Vitality
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Ann Wigmore, the author of many books on the value of a raw food diet, initially found herself at 50 years old with many debilitating physical problems, and remembered how her grandmother had used grasses to heal the soldiers in WWI, and decided to experiment with their curative properties. Wigmore was a vibrant 76 when she wrote this book in 1985, with her weight the same as it was in her youth, and her hair returned to its natural brown. She explains everything you need to know about wheatgrass, and there is a lot to know about this most basic of all plants.

In the early chapters she notes the scientific data, Chapter 6 is about what wheatgrass can do for you, including weight control by "speeding up blood circulation and metabolic rate". Chapter 7 has instructions on how to grow it and juice it, and in Chapter 8, the many uses, including some nice mixtures to juice up a tasty and nutritious "green drink".

Wigmore explains "free radicals", and the damage they do to our cells, enzymes, and the power of chlorophyll, which is plentiful in wheatgrass. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A (in the form of carotene), B Complex, Vitamin E, and minerals like calcium and zinc.

Wigmore describes how to set up an indoor growing area, but for those of us who live in all-year-around temperate climates like Southern California, can like me set up a growing corner on a patio. I use roasting pans, buy my wheat at the local health food store (the red wheat is delicious, and very inexpensive), and use good soil.

Wheatgrass is powerful, so it's good to know all you can about it before using it, and adhere to the warnings to start with small quantities.

An invaluable book for anyone interested in joining "The Green Revolution", to improve their health, need less sleep, and enjoy the many other advantages of wheatgrass, and if you have cats, they'll like to nibble on it too.
0Comment|176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 1998
Ann Wigmore gives a thorough analysis of the incredible powers of wheatgrass and how it can improve your health. I must say this book changed my life: wheatgrass juice will improve your health, boost immunity, aid in weight loss, and more. I even feed it to my parrots, and they are ten times healthier now--I haven't lost a single baby bird since I started feeding the parents wheatgrass. This inexpensive of book will save you oodles of money--far fewer medical bills!
0Comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2001
This book was extrememly helpful in validating my beliefs that natural is always the better way to go especially when it comes to something as important as our bodies. Ann is very thorough in her explanations of the benefits of wheatgrass and how to grow your own as well as use it in many beneficial ways to improve the body's immune system. Her credentials are great - she knows whereof she speaks. I learned a great deal about the benefits of raw living foods as opposed to cooked food and how the living enzymes in our food are destroyed at certain levels of heat. It's a little frustrating though to learn that most of the things in the supermarket (except for the produce dept.) don't give my body much nutrition at all. But the good news is there's many authors out there trying to make the transition easier for those of us that want to try to take better care of ourselves. To them, I say a big thanks!
on April 27, 2006
I had read several accounts of Ann Wigmore's life changing experience with wheatgrass and other fresh fruits, so I decided to give it a try. With my first wheatgrass kit, I got this book. I was so impressed, that I gave it to a friend of my girlfriend, who was dying from cancer along with a tray of wheatgrass and my old hand juicer. A year later, she's still around and I'm buying myself another copy of Ann's book.
on July 21, 2008
This book was very informative in the health aspect. Ann Wigmore made the medicinal qualities of wheatgrass very easy to follow, but the actual growing process was very brief. I was looking to start growing wheatgrass in my kitchen. I started small batches here and there. I ran in to different problem's with all of them. Mainly white and green mold around the roots and discoloration in the wheatgrass. The book was quite brief on problem solving.

Overall this book is very useful and inspiring if you're just looking to learn the health benefits of wheatgrass. I would consider purchasing a more informative book or gather information online if you are interested in growing it yourself on a larger scale. A process you should consider. It is inexpensive after the initial start up costs, and so important to one's health.

I do recommend her book 'The Sprouting Book. A great starting book as well. The two books are inspiring and go hand and hand together.
1212 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2001
And some information that I took with a grain of salt...
I am a big fan of Wheatgrass Juice. I take a double shot daily and have found it gives me increased vitality and just a general boost. This is the best source of information of the nutritional benefits of the the juice.
I am not a big fan of the colonics or fasting which this book also touts as beneficial. That is a difference of opinion. However, Dr. Wigmore gives a very evenhanded description of how the fasting is done, how the fasting may be modified and no dire consequences if you just can't do it. It is the same with the colonics. She explains it all and then very understandingly states, you don't have to do it. It isn't for everyone.
My skeptical boyfriend (committed carnivore and diet coke drinker) has read the book also (it was in the bathroom...). He went of his own violition to have a double shot before his flight to Vegas. Victory!
on May 16, 2000
Since reading this book I find myself taking advantage of juice bars that serve wheatgrass shots. Mind you I look at the age and ask the type of grass they are serving but boy do I feel confident after having read this book that it can only make me feel better. I don't generally feel any sort of rush from having ingested wheat grass but you do have a sense of overall health after awhile. It could be psychological or the actual wheatgrass but which ever I have seen a definite improvement since following some of the options given in the book.
on September 23, 2005
Simply amazing what is described in here. My whole family is exited to start doing this. Can't share any experiences since I am purchasing the required items to start growing wheatgrass.

As a teenager I had a friend who's mother was saved from certain death of cancer through an all natural "uncooked" raw foods diet that included wheatgrass. Remember the bowls of wheatgrass behind the window.
on January 29, 2014
I read this book in the 80s when it first came out, and have experimented with wheat ever since. I keep having to replace it, because my friends borrow it and I usually do not get it back. Sprouted organic wheat berries have a lot of vitamins in a natural form that your body can absorb. Even my dogs beg for it when I open a jar of sprouted wheat. They just love it, and it gives them their vitamins. You only give about a quarter size helping per dog.

If you sleep all night and are still tired when you wake up (or find yourself struggling with exhaustion), then you need to read this book. Even if you do not want to bother with juicing wheat, sprouted wheat can help. It takes 6 months to a year, but it works.

Just in case you are interested, I started sprouting wheat again about six months ago. I have a demanding job and suddenly found myself struggling with exhaustion. I eat a serving of oatmeal with one tablespoon of wheat germ and two tablespoons of sprouted wheat for breakfast and dinner. I eat an Apple about two hours after breakfast. I eat whatever I want for lunch (mms, McDonald's, fried chicken, whatever) In 6months my waist has dropped 6 inches, and I am not tired any more. As a matter of fact, I have pulled several all night sessions getting ready for Christmas and never even took a nap. My waist measurement has been an amazing surprise.

Anyway, read the book.
on October 5, 2013
Ann Wigmore was THE pioneer in this arena, so any of her books are filled with her own trial data but also evidence based data as well. There are many suggestions to simplify growing wheatgrass and using wheatgrass. It is a small book, but a very specific, informative, and detailed book that is a MUST have to any collection as a "Go To" resource of interest.