5.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, great books, lousy edition
I read these books years ago. I am glad to say I enjoyed rereading them just as much now as I did then. However, as at least one other reviewer noted, this is a lousy edition. There are numerous typographical errors that totally ruin the joy of a good read. Read these books, just not this edition.
Published on December 23, 2006 by Dragon of Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT STORY, HORRIBLE EDITION
In The Dragonriders of Pern, Anne McCaffrey creates a stunning and richly detailed world. It's clear on reading these stories that they are very dear to McCaffrey's heart. Her blend of science, music and human drama are supported by a wholly believable mythology which bridges the gap between our earth and Pern.
Unfortunately, this edition was hastily thrown together...
Published on September 8, 2003 by Nathan

1.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT STORY, HORRIBLE EDITION, September 8, 2003
Unfortunately, this edition was hastily thrown together without any regard for the author's hard work. On seemingly every page there are typographical errors so severe that McCaffrey's spell is broken. Character names constantly shift spelling. Words are misspelled, mixed up and changed to the point that the prose completely falls apart. At times geographic locations on Pern are switched with character names...this is a work of Science Fiction/Fantasy but when the place where you live starts talking all believability goes out the window. The sloppy editing of the edition was so bad I ended up buying individual copies of Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon. I noticed none of the errors I saw in the three-in-one volume.
I highly recommend reading Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon, but save yourself the confusion and disappointment of this three-in-one edition. Buy each separately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragonriders of Pern (Kindle Edition), April 4, 2011
First, I'd like to say that I love these books. I re-read them ever couple years and it's a fresh story with new meaning each time. For me it's a timeless series.

I offer many thanks to Anne MaCaffery and her son Todd McCaffery who has picked up the reins of story telling with the Realms of Pern.

As for the Kindle Edition of this book, I am sorely disappointed in the typographical errors. In a time when we have simple spell checking on just about every application we use, it's depressing to see this digital media plagued with such inconsideration for the reader.

The spelling of the character names are misspelled, sometimes from paragraph to paragraph. There are major typographical mistakes in connection words that require the reader to read, and then re-read the entire sentence to discern the actual word intended as different words could change then entire feel and meaning of the sentence.

Paying roughly the same for this Kindle Edition as I would for a new mass-market paperback, I question why anyone would pay full price when a print copy can be acquired, used, at a faction of the cost.

The Kindle Edition is a sad disservice to the readers and fans of Anne McCaffery.

Del Rey and Random House Digital should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such a poor quality product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be warned, great books, lousy edition, December 23, 2006
Dragon of Grey (TN United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Dragon Rider Jaxom & His Wonderful Dragon Ruth!, May 23, 2003
Silmarwen (Huntington Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The White Dragon (Dragonriders of Pern Vol 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
Jaxom is the future Lord Holder of Ruatha, one of Pern's oldest and most venerable holds and has been groomed for his role since he was very young. When he accidentally impresses a white dragon named Ruth, everyone is dismayed and worried about what to do with him. Dragonriders belong in the Weyr, after all, and a man simply cannot be a dragonrider and a Lord Holder - or can he? Jaxom is determined to keep Ruth and to learn how to fly, breathe fire and kill Thread - and be the future leader of one of the most prosperous Holds on Pern. What others refuse to teach him, Jaxom discovers for himself. It is as Ruth and Jaxom are experimenting that they find themselves in the position to prevent a great disaster on Pern and to unite the Oldtimers and the Weyrs of the Northern Continent through Ruth's unique ability of always knowing when he is and his rapport with fire lizards. Ruth and Jaxom even discover some new "secrets" on the Southern Continent that the ancients left behind!
The White Dragon is simply a superb book. I loved the characters and really felt that I identified with Jaxom as he was growing up and growing into his roles as both a dragonrider and as a Lord Holder. Readers who have read McCaffrey's previous books in the Pern series will simply find that it is another story about Weyleaders F'lar and Lessa (Dragonflight & Dragonquest), as well as Masterharper Robinton and Journeyman Menolly (Dragonsong & Dragonsinger) told from a different, very enjoyable perspective. I loved the way McCaffrey took the time to incorporate older characters so that the readers know what is happening in their lives. The White Dragon is an exciting link between the first several books and the next grouping as there are many surprises and new discoveries that take place here. Ruth is also one of my favorite dragons and was such a joy to read about. Anyone who loves fantasy will enjoy this book so do yourself the favor and buy this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the reviews first, March 8, 2014
This is the first book I bought on my kindle and I was sorely disappointed in this version of the books. There were many errors in all three books and it left so many plots unexplained. I ended up buying the full versions of the original books and wish I hadn't wasted my money on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no better book, November 26, 2002
By A Customer
Ever since I first picked up this book, Anne McCaffrey has been my favorite author. The Pern series is the most incredible I have ever read, from the majestic, yet empathetic dragons to the likable and unique characters who ride them. I cannot begin to calculate the number of times I have read and re-read the Pern series, especially these first three books. Anne McCaffrey pulls off wonders with her writing -- no other author could have concocted or done justice to Pern and its people as she does. Lessa especially is such an intricate, complicated, and wonderful character that I would have loved this book if she were the only detailed character, and I look to her as my first role-model. Not only am I in love with F'lar, Masterharper Robinton, and Jaxom, but they make this series more than just my favorite, but one that really affects my life as well. I have read every book about Pern that I could, and I will never tire of this world and its dragons. Anybody who likes science fiction or fantasy will love it, as will anybody who likes to read at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Kindle Edition, February 25, 2013
I absolutely love these books and when my bound copy was borrowed and not returned I decided to buy the Kindle edition so I'd never be without them again.

I have reached the halfway point in Dragonflight and just can't stand reading further in this Kindle edition.

I have read the books several times and I have a good memory for the content and flow of a story so I am absolutely certain there are omissions in the text. There are misspellings, format problems and incorrect words. I enjoy becoming immersed in what I'm reading and the constant errors in the text prevent me from achieving literary nirvana. Example: 'She wanted go back to Benden Weyr, not so much to sleep as to Benden herself about F’lar.' Right. I can guess that the second 'Benden' in that sentence was supposed to be 'reassure' or something to that effect but BOOM! I'm out of the story now. After three or four of these on a page I'm just about ready to chuck my Kindle out a window.

As annoyed as I am about faults of this kind in books with which I am familiar I am curious about books I have read for the first time in a Kindle edition. Was my lackluster reaction to a book because of some missing text that would have illuminated a salient plot point? I will never know.

I am so fed up with slipshod Kindle editions! I think my local used bookstore and the library will be seeing more of me in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never mock Fantasy again!, December 26, 1997
David Rasquinha (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I always thought Fantasy with its Dragons and such like was strictly for kids and juveniles till by chance I picked up the White Dragon. Picked up and could not lay it aside. Perhaps I was wrong to begin in the middle, but now, even after reaing many of the series, White Dragon rmains my favourite Pern novel. The story of Jaxom growing to manhood, with his doubts and worries, with Ruth, Menolly, Robinton and of course Sharra, with a continent to discover, Thread to overcome and a whole new world to open up was beyond all my expectations. I immediately began haunting bookstors for the rest of the Pern novels. I also promised never again to knock Fantasy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It became a movie in my mind. That is the perfect kind., September 19, 1999
By A Customer
I have read every "Pern" book that I could get my hands on. The last being "The Masterharper of Pern". They are so well written that you forget that you are reading and can visualize them in your head. I am a huge fan of Sci-Fi and Fantasy and I love it when the Author can write in a way that allows you to see the characters not just read about them. The Dragonriders Of Pern is one of the best series of books that I have read. I found that I could not wait for the next book. When I would sit down to read one, I would tend to forget about the things that I needed to do and read the book until it was done. I couldn't put it down. I look forward to more books in this series if she has more to give.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for any dragon lover!, February 22, 1997
By A Customer
This trilogy stands as one of the best series I've ever read -- and it will bring you into a long series of books on the people and dragons of Pern. I first read "Dragonflight" when I was 13, and it hooked me on fantasy novels in general and Anne McCaffrey in particular. If you haven't read any of her work, this is a great place to start; and, if you have read her work, you will love this trilogy. It is the epic story of how one man, believing in the tales of the past when everyone else ignored them, managed with the help of his co-leader and his brother to save the world, and make themselves legends in the process

The White Dragon (Dragonriders of Pern Vol 3)
The White Dragon (Dragonriders of Pern Vol 3) by Anne McCaffrey (Mass Market Paperback - November 12, 1986)
$7.99 $7.19