5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have guide to navigating to life as the parent of an elementary school child
This is a great book, with really solid tips and trips written in a uniquely hilarious style. Don't be fooled by the title; the bulk of this book is extremely relevant to most parents (trashy, white, or otherwise) on how to keep your sanity and perspective in a society that tends towards extreme parenting. A must-read!
Published on August 5, 2008 by Jenny B

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book Ever
Published 21 months ago by TeaTime

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book- Love the author!, November 3, 2008
This review is from: The White Trash Mom Handbook: Embrace Your Inner Trailerpark, Forget Perfection, Resist Assimilation into the PTA, Stay Sane, and Keep Your Sense of Humor (Paperback)
What a totally fun, and funny book! Bought it for several of my friends and they have all loved it as much as I did! Loads of laughs, great advice, and hilarious anecdotes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Imperfect, September 22, 2008
Practically Perfect Patti "PPP" (somewhere in Middle America) - See all my reviews
OK -- get past the title and BUY THIS BOOK! It reminds us all the most important thing is to accept, embrace, and celebrate our imperfect parenting skills. We all know our kids best and God in his infinite wisdom and perfect sense of humor gave them to each of us to raise - to the best of our abilities. This book drives home the message again and again that our actions speak louder then words. Who wants little Susie to think that time spent with a trainer perfecting our backhand or at the mall searching for the latest designer handbag is more important then time spent volunteering and taking care of our families - while having fun and staying sane? Well done, ladies, well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Smartly Done and Hillarious - Great Advice!, September 2, 2008
This book hit home with me in so many ways (Catholicism, Parenting, Friendship, etc.....) and I found myself smiling,shaking my head in agreement, and laughing hysterically as I read. I'll be keeping this one for my library and passing other copies to family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go.Buy.It.Now., August 12, 2008
If anyone knows what it means to embrace your inner rebel and be a real mom, I'm it. Trying to be a fake perfect parent is the worst thing you can do for your kids, seriously. If you want to let go, laugh, and get REAL parenting advice, buy this book. You'll read it more than once, because anything that gives you both humorous pleasure and real help is something you go back to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny? Yes. Insightful? Yes! Great book., August 10, 2008
Alli (Tennessee) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. The title shows the humor that kept me laughing, but it is important to know that this book is full of great advice.

I loved the part about letting go of the silly idea of perfection and embracinging a happy, balanced life as a mom.

I am so giving this book out at Christmas to all my girlfriends. What a hoot!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book Ever, November 23, 2012
This book was a complete waste of my time and money. I have never review a book before, but I feel a sense of responsibility to knock this book down a few notches from its undeserved 5 star rating so that others don't get tricked into buying this book, the way I was. I was initially excited to read this book because I thought it was going to be funny and full of encouragement for moms who are tired of living up to expectations to be The Perfect Mother. It was neither. The most disturbing part about the book is that the author in fact WANTS to be perceived as The Perfect Mother but does not want to put in the time and effort it takes to achieve this so-called status. So instead, she lies, fakes, and cheats her way to making herself look better than she really is. Furthermore, the author admits that she knows her behavior is wrong, but she justifies it by claiming that she is doing it for the good of her children. Buyer, beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to do with "white trash", December 9, 2013
This book is the author's view on parenting. But she apparently figured no one would buy that so she wanted a controversial title. Hence "white trash." The subtitle includes "embrace your inner trailerpark."

She admits on page xii the book has nothing to do with white trash or trailer parks. She just used this, and I quote, as a "smart-ass name."

Maybe "The Official Preppy Handbook" should have been about lumberjacks. Ms. Birnbach, hang your head in shame for actually writing about preppies!

Apparently honesty is not important in Ms. Lamar's "philosophy of parenting." But ripping off readers is OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Gift, January 3, 2010
Perfect gift.

After receiving a review copy of this book, I hunted Michelle down and became her friend.

Why? She's the smartest lady ever.

If you think navigating the PTA is something you can do alone, you are sadly mistaken. This is the perfect book for every mom who is sending their first child to kindergarten. I give it as a gift all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Bible, only better, August 11, 2008
The White Trash Mom Handbook is the perfect companion piece to all those Dr. Sears books that will make you think that you will probably break your child before age one. It's that friend everyone needs that tells you that you aren't alone in faking a home-made cake for the bake sale by buying one store-bought and messily applying frosting-in-a-can.

It's a good thing.