4 out of 5 stars

on August 24, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
A good collection of tips and tidbits for the novice or expert. Although the amount of "new and useful" info drops for more experienced hunters, you are sure to find something new whoever you are. The book is organized as a long list of numbered items, some are tips, some are facts, some are observations. Some items appear multiple times in the book. It has quite a few gems like this one: Deer normally enter croplands at the inside and outside corners, not along one of the side edges. When you're looking for a stand location, spend the bulk of your time scouting for entrance and exit trails at these corner locations.

As a wildlife biologist, I am often skeptical about authors' claims when it comes to wildlife behavior or biology, however, I have found nothing in this book that would raise any red flags. From what I can tell the author (John Weiss) is relying on solid scientific knowledge. When the book teaches you something new, it just clicks in your head and you think "yeah, that makes sense based on what I already know".

I would recommend this book to any deer hunter, just don't expect it to be your ultimate guide. It is a great piece of supplemental material for the outdoorsman's library.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 11, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I checked this book out from the library and just loved it. I must have gone on about it enough because my wife found it and bought it for me so I would have my own copy to come back to. I love the way it's writen. I have been hunting many years and thought I knew quite a bit. Turns out I had way more to learn. Great book! Wish I could find more.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again