5.0 out of 5 stars Great dialogue, smart and sassy
I'm a writer myself, and I really appreciate good dialogue, believing it can do more to develop character and story than almost any other technique. Jennifer Coburn has figured out the secrets of writing convincing dialogue more quickly than most new authors.
Published on February 20, 2004 by Peggy Vincent

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book...
I wanted to like this book, but it was ...just truly awful. This sounded like a great premise - wife has found someone else and wants to find a replacement wife for her husband.

Published on March 22, 2012 by D. Richardson

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this book..., March 22, 2012
This review is from: The Wife of Reilly (Kindle Edition)

Based on the reviews I thought it would be sort of madcap crazy, but funny. What a disappointment!! It was just clunky, with dumb people and totally implausible situations. The heroine, Prudence was unlikeable. I deleted it from my Kindle, but regret the time I spent reading and hoping for it to get better and start making sense.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT what I'd call "Chick Lit", January 18, 2007
I read this book, because it was in my "funny chick lit" list. There are reviews in Amazon and on the cover by other "funny chick lit" writers, Marian Keyes and Jane Green, who's books are funny & romantic. This wasn't.

The main character is a shallow, cold, controlling, unpleasant (rich, but that's cool) figure. She schemes to divorce a nice guy she's been married to for 11 years to get engaged to a creep she dated in college. She matures at the end. Goodness!

Who would read this book? It's not a self-help for shallow, cold, controlling, unpleasant women who wouldn't waste their time on this type of book anyway, and wouldn't see themselves in it even if they did read the book. It doesn't add anything delightful, entertaining or even enlightening. Not worth its "chick lit" tag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated this book, April 16, 2012
Jodie (Raytown, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wife of Reilly (Kindle Edition)
I am glad I got this book for free or I would be asking for my money back. The main character in the book is self-centered, immature and just plain awful. She has an affair on her husband of eleven years with a man that treated her like garbage in college. So she suddenly decides that the scumbag is the love of her life and she should find a wife for her "poor" husband. I mean how can her husband survive without her? She shows such arrogance and a lack of respect towards her husband. I don't think that she ever truly loved him at all. He was just someone that agreed to marry her. I have never truly hated a book as much as I do this one. I love to read and I probably read at least 3 books a week on my Kindle. This is one book that I will never go back to and if I would have bought the paperback or hardcover I would have burned it in effigy.

2.0 out of 5 stars With Friends Like This..., April 10, 2012
This review is from: The Wife of Reilly (Kindle Edition)
The prose is well written, but the protagonist is absolutely unlikable. The problem is not that she's flawed. The problem is that she is incredibly self-involved and self-serving. Her behaviors are cruel to others.

This isn't a horrible book, but I was left wondering why anyone would choose to be friends with this woman.

2.0 out of 5 stars What?, April 2, 2012
Mary Hobbie (Clearwater, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wife of Reilly (Kindle Edition)
I don't understand all the glowing, positive reviews. Well, yes, the book was well written and the characters developed somewhat well. But he main character, Prudence, what a despicable human being. I couldn't even connect with her on any level. none whatsoever. She is totally self absorbed, only barely finds herself by the end of the book, and is the most selfish person ever depicted. Thank God I got this as a free book, I would have been sorely disappointed otherwise. I skipped through many paragraphs of uninteresting and unnecessary dialogue about the characters inane lives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, July 14, 2006
This review is from: The Wife Of Reilly (Paperback)
After two chapters I was tempted to put this book down and forget about it. But I finished it with hopes that I wasn't wasting my time. By the way of totally disregarding marriage vows and committing adultry to confessions of a past abortion to doing drugs, I was disgusted with this book. The author attempts to make things that are wrong in society acceptable to make her weak character seem more human. If you have a high moral character this is not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dialogue, smart and sassy, February 20, 2004
This review is from: The Wife Of Reilly (Paperback)
At a college reunion, outrageous Prudence reunites with Matt, an old flame - and one thing quickly leads to another. About thirty or forty `anothers.' As she says, "Maybe that would have been a good time to tell him about Reilly. My husband."
Well, yes, maybe so. But if she had, there wouldn't have been much of a book.
Generally the technique of an author addressing the reader directly, in 2nd person, is irritating to me, but I fell right into Coburn's confidential writing style. Her heroine (if you can call such a flawed and delightfully irritating person a heroine) has her eyes wide open to her own faults, and I think it's this internal honesty that makes us like her so much.
If you like good chick lit, you'll like this one; it's way, way, way better than average.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Entertaining, January 20, 2004
Tari Smith (Wasilla, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wife Of Reilly (Paperback)
I couldn't put it down!!! I have never been so entertained by a book. I read the first 200 pages before putting it down. This is a "what goes around, comes around", but with a twist. This book draws you in and won't let you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS!, March 5, 2004
Sandra (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wife Of Reilly (Paperback)
I loved this book! Lots of twists and turns with a great ending. Super dialogue and funny characters. Once I started reading it, it was very difficult to put down. I just finished the last half all in one sitting. It helped that I'm sick and can read guilt-free while the laundry and dishes are piled a mile high. I can't wait for her next book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Book, January 9, 2007
This review is from: The Wife Of Reilly (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book after hearing so many great things about the author. However, I was sorely disappointed. The protagonist, Prudence, was COMPLETELY unsympathetic and selfish. The plot was asinine to the point of being entirely unbelievable. I only finished it because I was so desperately hoping for it to get better, but it never did.

The Wife of Reilly