5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change from the "standard" Christmas stories
This was the first Jan Brett book in our family library. From the first reading, this book became one of our very favorite Christmas stories.
Published on November 19, 2002 by breyergal

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are the names different?
I love Jan Brett, but I don't love this story. The pictures, of course, are absolutely beautiful, which is the only reason I gave it as many as three stars. I am probably being over critical, but I find the story boring, as does my son who typically loves stories. He will grab the book to look at the pictures, but really has no interest in the story.
Also, it really...
Published 8 days ago by Michelle L Brucker

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change from the "standard" Christmas stories, November 19, 2002
This review is from: The Wild Christmas Reindeer (Paperback)
Follow Teeka's adventures as she works furiously to prepare Bramble, Heather, Windswept, Lichen, Snowball, Crag, Twilight, and Tundra for their Christmas Eve outing. Don't be surprised to hear your children murmur "that's not going to work" as Teeka finds that being bossy isn't always the best way to get the job done.
As with all Jan Brett books, the illustrations are captivating. As a special treat, each page is framed with Christmas illustrations containing "extra" pictures relating to the story.
If you've grown tired of reading about Rudolph and friends, you and your children can snuggle up with this book and learn about the "wilder" side of Santa's reindeer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures full of color and detail. Great story., November 19, 1999
By A Customer
My 5 year old daughter brought this book home from Kindergarten one day. We read it at bedtime and were both amazed at the wonderful illustrations. Any child who loves animals will enjoy this book. It also has a nice change from the normal Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen thing. These reindeer have more interesting North Pole sort of names. We loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story for my 3-year old, November 18, 1998
By A Customer
I thought this was a wonderful story with exquisite illustrations. My 3-year old was enthralled with it, and checks it out from the library whenever she can. It's a good story about responsibility and treating animals with understanding, as well as getting ready for Santa's sleigh ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars "On the 9th Day of Christmas"....."Love and Kindness To Others Will Be an Act of Love and Kindness for You!", January 2, 2010
This review is from: The Wild Christmas Reindeer (Paperback)
Jan Brett, the author illustrator of this book and many others, has a fantastic ability to draw animals and nature in such a realistic way. You can almost feel the hairs on the reindeer's coat. The colors in her illustrations always make you feel happy and add a festive tone to the story. Also, while she is telling you the main story, there are always smaller stories being illustrated alongside the main one.

This story begins 24 days before Christmas in a remote village in the arctic, that`s a very cold place, where people wear heavy and colorful clothing, and the animals seem to learn to tolerate the extreme cold. The scenery resembles both Scandinavian countries, and Eastern European countries, like the Ukraine, and other countries nearby. I will have to do some research to see where these stories actually resemble. While the main story takes up the center of two pages, the side panels contain oddly shaped minarets and turrets, tower-like structures.

While the main story spreads across the book, the side panels depict each of the 24 days preceding Christmas and are numbered as if a part of the calendar. In these side panels, shaped like turrets and minarets, the little children who are Santa's helpers are going about the business of helping Santa prepare for the gift-giving that he likes to do, "on Christmas Eve".

You will meet Teeka who has been given the assignment of getting the reindeer ready to fly on Christmas Eve. Now, I know you know that reindeer don't fly, but humor me, because in stories about Santa Claus, reindeer fly on Christmas Eve, so that they can deliver all the presents to the fortunate boys and girls. While Teeka is preparing the reindeer, the little elves, who are children, are all working over-time baking, sewing, building, painting, wood-carving, knitting, constructing, tasting, decorating, and wrapping all the presents for Santa's visits to the children all over the world.

Teeka has been given a tough responsibility, and she is a bit hard on herself, expecting the reindeer to follow her directions, especially because she doesn't know how to handle the situation. She is crabby and cranky, and very unsympathetic to the reindeer, and they in turn, are not comfortable with her. And so, instead of working together, they are getting in each other's way, bumping, pushing, and tangling with each other. She is "what you would say" "out of sync", with the reindeer, when she should be more thoughtful, caring, loving, and sensitive to their needs. She was always very angry with them. What she forgot was that, they too, needed to be cared for and treated with love and kindness. As they say, "a little kindness goes a long way".

Somewhere around the 19th of December she realizes her mistake and says, "I've spent all my time being mad at you, instead of helping you. I'm sorry!" She promises them that on the next day, they will work together in a new way....no bossing, no screaming, no pouting, no drama.

The reindeer listen to the softness in her voice and all of a sudden the reindeers' eyes sparkle, they smile, they laugh, and then they shake their antlers.....and suddenly, they are all happy to be helping her get ready for Santa's sleigh ride on Christmas Eve.

So, you see, if you show love and kindness, and caring, you will not only be good to others, but you will be good to yourself. Working together, no matter how many of you there are can make life beautiful. Now, go show the people in your life that you love and care about them. Be off!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wild Christmas Reindeer, December 19, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Wild Christmas Reindeer (Paperback)
I just read another one of Jan Brett's books. the name of it is The wild Christmas Reindeer. This picture book is not monotonous. It will keep you awake. It's a great book.
The story is about an elf named Teeka. Teeka was responsible to get Santa's reindeer together and ready for Christmas Eve. No, it isn't Dasher, Dancer or Rudolph, it's 8 different reindeer.when training, Teeka uses mean commands and loud voices. the reindeer were furious. they went insane. Teeka couldn't stand it. She nicely apoligized and the reindeer for gave her. Teeka settles them down and gets them ready for Santa. Santa said she did a fantastic job.
My oppinion is that this book was great. it caught my attention quickly. Like all Jan Brett books they tell another story on the side. that's what is cool about it. The illistrations are beautiful. I urge you to read this you will have fun just reading.
By Nicole Merrylees

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated - highly recommend, December 12, 2010
Mary Sherman (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
Jan Brett books have always been a favorite in my house. The detailed and colorful illustrations are a delight, and the simple but beautifully written stories speak of fantasy and history and lands far away. My daughter loved her books as a child, and I am now carrying on the tradition with my 15 month old grandson. I look forward to the day when he appreciates and loves the books as much as his mother did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even still a army man's favorite childhood book, October 24, 2012
This review is from: The Wild Christmas Reindeer (Paperback)
My son was just deployed, I am trying to think of things to send to him that will comfort him this holiday season. Then I got it, his favorite childhood book!! Perfect!!! He loves the story and the beautiful margin pictures. Thanks Jan, hope that this brings a smile to our army nurse far away.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wild Christmas Reindeer, December 8, 2009
This is another wonderful book by Jan Brett. Her pictures are so detailed and I have found that children love looking for the surprise and detail in her pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars JAN BRETT STORIES, August 27, 2006
I LOVE ALL of Jan Brett's stories as they are sooo beautifully done! The children love them! Mrs Dorothy Pierce

3.0 out of 5 stars Why are the names different?, December 17, 2014
This review is from: The Wild Christmas Reindeer (Paperback)
Also, it really bothers me she changed the names of the reindeer. It is annoying to me and confusing to kids. I do not know why she chose to do that.

The Wild Christmas Reindeer
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett (Paperback - October 5, 1998)
$6.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.