Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

TOP 50 REVIEWERon August 4, 2009
The Will Eisner Sketchbook is positively amazing! I'm saying that because I read his comics and do a bit of cartooning myself.

The book is a clothed hardcover, perfect bind with 200 pages. The paper is thick and mildly yellow.

On these pages are the best reproduction of pencil drawings I've even seen. As I rub my thumb across the textured cross hatches, I thought I would smudge the paper and pick up graphite on my thumb. It's almost like holding Will Eisner's original sketches in hand! Brilliant.

Inside, the sketches are grouped accordingly to the titles he has created. It includes The Spirit, A Contract with God, A Life Force, The Dreamer, To The Heart of Storm, The Neighborhood Dropsie Avenue, The Last Hero, A Family Matter, The Princess and the Frog, Last Day in Vietnam and Minor Miracles.

These are the concept drawings and panel layouts for his comics. There are even character designs. While some of the sequences are long with dialogue included, they are not complete so you'll still have to get his original books for the stories. You can see how Will Eisner designs his panels and writes his stories. It's all very inspiring to see the work-in-progress of the master comic artist. Since this is a sketchbook, there are many that never made it to the final art.

This book is highly recommended, more so if you draw comics.

(More pictures are available on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
on March 20, 2009
Wow! I have almost everything that has been published of Eisner's Comics. But this book is so special. I could see his pencil sketches of many classic Comics from Spirit or his recent production. The edition is lovely, a brown hard cover book. Fantastic.
on December 27, 2012
The contents matched my expectations, but obviously the paperback left to be desired. Eventually buy the hardcover. Always worth owning arts master Eisner.
on February 6, 2007
Eisner's gone now,so anything to remember and see the mind of a master. Working at his craft and showing how its done is more than worth it. My only regret is I never meet the man,and I didn't buy this till after he past.

P.S. Of course the Spirits in here.
on May 7, 2015