5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read
Published on March 12, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars my lil bro said it was just okay
bought this for my little bro. he has been reading this series so I suppose he knows what to expect from this author. all he told me was that this book was just okay. must not be too good then since he has been keeping up with the series.
Published 12 months ago by Harv

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, March 12, 2011
A Kid's Review
This book is about how they made the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book into a movie. It explains how many people and work it takes to put together a movie. It also includes a lot of behind-the-scenes photos and scripts. The book also talks about some of the actors and behind the sciences workers and how they found all of those people. I think that it really helps you understand how a movie is made. It is also very cool, because when I watch the movie, I know some things about it.

I think that what worked well is how they also used some cartoon drawings to explain how it was made. For example, they used cartoon drawings to show all the people needed to make a movie, compared to the one person needed to write a book. I think that made it kind of funny. One thing that kind of left me disappointed was that they only focused on all the main characters, and I would have liked it if they had talked amore about some other characters and their backgrounds and maybe how they found them or where they live.

I think that the book is very well written to describe how a movie is made, and it is also funny. I hope that they make another movie diary for the next Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie. If they do, then I will want to read it, but there probably won't because it would be kind of hard to because it might just be more of the same stuff.

I think it is very cool how they have a special teacher on set so that the actors don't fall behind in their school work. Something kind of ironic I learned from the book is that Greg and Rowley were missing their actual first days of middle school when they were acting out their first days of middle school. I like how in the end of the book, they have a photo gallery of photos from the movie and photos from back stage. I would give this book five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, June 1, 2012
This review is from: The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) (Hardcover)
My son loves these books this was a great buy with fast shipping! Another great Amazon buy! If your child likes to read I recommend this series

4.0 out of 5 stars Photos and cartoons grace movie companion, March 17, 2010
Julie Neal (Celebration, Fla.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is for middle-school fans of the best-selling Wimpy Kid series, starring smart aleck preteen Greg Heffley. Presented as a hardback diary, it is a companion to the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie which hits theaters on March 19th. It gives the inside story on how the live-action movie was made, with a behind-the-scenes viewpoint.

As with previous Wimpy Kid books, this one is filled with funny cartoons that illustrate the text. Unlike the others, this Movie Diary has nearly 250 color photos. Now readers don't have to picture Greg as the skinny stick-figure cartoon anymore; he's a real boy, actor Zach Gordon. Among the photos are Greg's family, friends and enemies; costumes; casting; movie props; blue-screen shots; even the catering trailer from the movie set.

Scattered among the pages are real items from the filming, such as script pages, storyboards, costume sketches, floor plans and call sheets. It is interesting to get this glimpse of backstage paraphernalia.

The book shows Greg's evolution as a simple rough sketch to the current wimpy backpack-wearing cartoon. It also shows how Zach was transformed into Greg.

The book's best quality is the tried-and-true strength from the earlier books: the loose, seemingly simple cartoons on nearly every page.

On the downside: There is no table of contents or index.

Previous Wimpy Kid books include:
Diary of a Wimpy Kind
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book

-- Julie Neal, author of The Complete Walt Disney World 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids Books, October 7, 2012
My granson didn't like to read, but he needed to improve his reading skills. He loves reading now that he has read the Wimpy Kid books. He understands what he is reading now. I plan on buying him more of the Wimpy Kid Books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining overview of how a Hollywood movie is made, June 13, 2012
Although presumably directed to fans of the Wimpy Kid series, this book is interesting and entertaining in its own right as it clearly and concisely explains the basics of how a Hollywood movie is made. Although I have not seen the movie and I have not read any of the Wimpy Kid books, I thought this book was very informative and engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 yr old LOVES these books, May 3, 2010
My son hates to read but LOVES this series of books. It is the only series he will sit down and read from start to finish. Never loses interest in them. I wish there were more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure...., March 18, 2010
After the series of Why Some Cats are Rascals The Wimpy Kid series is the second favorite series of my kids and we have all books of both series. I also got this book today but I am not sure if the movie will live up to our expectations. The series of books was great and I wouldn't like that the film spoil the success... Well, we'll see it tomorrow evening. For now we just cross the fingers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson approved, February 19, 2012
I've not read this book myself since it was actually a 'requested' birthday present for my Grandson Griffin. I will tell you that he received it about a week before his birthday and there was no way he would let his mom put it up until his big day. He grabbed it right then and as read it at least 3 times.

4.0 out of 5 stars fine book for an age group, April 18, 2010
I bought this book as a birthday gift for my 13 year old grandson. He liked the Wimpy Kid books at an earlier age. He seemed interested in the book but not really excited. I'm not sure he will be going to see the movie. I would not buy the book for his age group again.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WIMPY KID MOVIE DIARY is a terrific book, June 14, 2010
KidsReads (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
As most of you know, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is now playing in theaters. Readers of Jeff Kinney's wildly popular series can finally see Greg Heffley's hilarious adventures come to life on the big screen. Coinciding with the film's release is the publication of THE WIMPY KID MOVIE DIARY, which will give you tons of insight into what it takes to turn a book into a movie (plus, it will make you laugh!).

Kinney begins by telling us all about the January 1998 "birth" of Greg Heffley, when he was first doodled into a sketch pad. Coincidentally, only one month later, Zachary Gordon, the baby destined to grow up and play the part of Greg in the Wimpy Kid movie, was born.

Kinney shows us how his ideas about a wimpy kid evolved, first into books and then into the film. We see early sketches of Greg, along with story ideas Kinney scribbled down. Just wait until you see the photo of his Wimpy Kid idea pages from his sketch pad. One page is literally crammed with snippets of ideas and drawings (Kinney says some of these single idea pages took him months to create). He worked on Wimpy Kid drawings and ideas for four years, inventing Greg and all the people and places in Greg's world. Next, he cut photocopied pages of the sketch pad into single jokes, drawings and ideas. He spent several years just pasting these scraps on big sheets of poster board. Then he began typing his ideas into a story. That book, in all its 1,300-page glory, was first published online. Eventually, Amulet Books decided to publish DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, and the rest is literary (and now film) history.

Zachary Gordon read DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and loved the book so much that he told his mother he wanted to be in a movie version if it was ever made. Little could he have guessed that his wish would someday come true!

Meanwhile, Hollywood filmmakers talked about how to transform the book into a movie. Kinney gives us (hilarious) sketches of some of these discussions. Then, step by step, we learn how a movie is made, starting with writers coming in to audition to write the screenplay. Writing a screenplay based on a book, it seems, is an intriguing and complicated process. The writers must choose what parts of the book they will use in the film, and they also add in new scenes to surprise viewers who have read the book. Lots of people have input into the screenplay, so it changes constantly.

Readers of THE WIMPY KID MOVIE DIARY get to meet some of the important people guiding the film, such as director Thor Freudenthal, who kept a diary similar to Greg's when he was a boy. (Some of his journal pages are included in the book.) Meanwhile, the search was on for actors who would bring the parts of Greg and Rowley and all the other characters in the Wimpy Kid world to life.

As Kinney walks us through the making of the film, you'll learn about things you've both wondered about and never even considered. For example, you'll discover how film crew members make such items as fake boogers and arm casts. You'll also learn exactly why Zachary Gordon gets queasy if anyone says "mashed potatoes" to him.

THE WIMPY KID MOVIE DIARY is a terrific book. Fans of the series will especially appreciate this hilarious and witty read, but even newcomers will be motivated to see the movie and read the books (though not necessarily in that order!).

The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) by Jeff Kinney (Hardcover - March 16, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01