5.0 out of 5 stars The Winemaker's Daughter review
The book was outstanding. I loved the idea of looking at water rights on a local level--the next global problem. The story was intriguing, and I didn't want it to end. I hope that Timothy Egan has more novels in his future.
Published 20 months ago by Mary Beth Hollingsworth

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for effort.
The setting and the premise are interesting but the story never develops. People and events are never connected. This book reads more like a rough draft than a finished story.
Published on March 24, 2004 by book worm

2.0 out of 5 stars Two stars for effort., March 24, 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Reviews, June 20, 2004
By A Customer
There was a lot of hype in the NYTimes about this book along with a great review. Now that I've read it, it seems to me it's the good-old-boys network supporting one of their own. It realy is nothing more than a potboiler. So much of the story is disjointed - you are jarred going from one scene to another - where is the transition or even the rationale? No character is real - they merely behave how you would think they should. There is no real development and no poetry in the writing. It really seems like a non-fiction writer said "now I must write that novel." Too bad really good books by completely unknown writers don't get the big write-up from the Times. My book club prefers to read books they have "heard about" rather than try a new author who really has talent. So much for promoting new good writers rather than ensuring that the inner circle keeps earning their money so they can stick around and support their buddies. Corrupt that this book gets the big splash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Even heros have flaws, July 15, 2005
This review is from: The Winemaker's Daughter (Paperback)
Unfortunately, Timothy Egan seems to forget that in this novel. Among the issues I have with this novel, this is the biggest. His characters are perfect. The heroine is smart and sexy and physically fit and the top of her field. She speaks Italian with her father, has a taste for wine (not to be unexpected, given the subject matter), seems completely at home in the country or city and seems to be passionate about everything.

In other words, she's boring.

I picked up this book because I was looking for a Northwest author writing about the Northwest. What I found was warmed over prose written by an author who is too full of himself. He's in desperate need of a serious and skilled editor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to nonfiction!, July 13, 2007
This review is from: The Winemaker's Daughter (Paperback)
Our book club recently read "The Worst Hard Times" by Timothy Egan and we loved it! However, the authors first foray into nonfiction falls terribly flat. Since it was another selection for our book club, I trudged through it, gagging on the stilted dialogue, underdeveloped characters, and lack of emotional depth. On the bright side, the authors sense of place aptly depicts the Northwest, but then almost too much so. He gets lost in overdone descriptions...of everything except for his characters. I give him credit for trying to write fiction, but for the time being I will stick to his nonfiction books, which really shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Winemaker's Daughter review, December 10, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars As murky as a bad vintage., July 31, 2009
This review is from: The Winemaker's Daughter (Paperback)
This novel is what results when you take a Pulitzer Prize-winning writer, a great premise, enthusiasm...

...and -apparently- no editorial guidance, and combine them over years of effort:

A mess.

A disappointing, disheartening, ineffective mess.

I almost don't know where to begin.

Yes, I do: writing non-fiction, being a journalist is one thing. Being a storyteller...and after all, that's what a novelist is, even though there are myriad forms a novel can take...is another. As a novelist, Mr. Egan is a great journalist.

When he shines, he shines. At the beginning, and at various other points in the book, his writing is wonderful. It has an elegiacal quality. As befits the geographical areas being discussed, and the vocation at the heart of this tale, winemaking. He's got good chops, he has a nice vocabulary, and some of the passages border on the lyrical. Again, as befits the subject matter.

But when he falls down? It's a bloody, pulpy mess. His inability to gracefully interweave narrative threads is...well, appalling. His hamfistedness, his apparent lack of familiarity with the notion of being subtle is...well, downright insulting. And as for the simple execution of simple dialogue...

My God, I want to quote here from 'Daughter', to actually cut-and-paste sections, but a) it's too cruel, and b) it would rile me up all the more. So I'll allow myself this: Mr. Egan seems to have no facility with dialogue. With *effective* dialogue. With dialogue that isn't merely a means to show exchanges between people, but to reveal character, to add to the narrative, to the exposition. The discrepancy between his command in other areas of writing, and this one is, I have to say, mystifying.

I was prepared to be romanced by 'The Winemaker's Daughter's premise. And over the initial portions of the novel, I found myself smiling at the prospect of what seemed to lay ahead. But as the pages mounted, my frustration kept pace, until I was ready, with some of the hilarious plot-points towards the end, to throw the book out the bus window. I can't recall a novel that wasted potential as much as this one did.

No. Let me rephrase that: I can't recall a novel where an editor has so badly screwed the reader out of the best possible experience. I'm riled to the extent that I would *pay* to hear whomever the controlling voice was explain just how this mess ended up this way, how Mr. Egan was prevented from offering up the vintage that by rights, he *should* have brought to market.

And now, please excuse me; I have to get this nasty taste out of my mouth.

(My personal rating is 5/10)

3.0 out of 5 stars Print of material was too light to read, May 27, 2014
This review is from: The Winemaker's Daughter (Paperback)
The print in the book was very very light, plus some pages had a white line down it where it looked like the printer was running low on ink. I had a hard time reading it. Otherwise, the book was OK. He could have left the "sex" out of it...don't think it needed to be in it. Not that I'm a prude, but it just wasn't necessary for the type of story.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have read many books by this author, August 22, 2013
I think this may be his first novel. I loved it, born and raised with Italian people in the Upper Midwest so it was like a trip down memory lane, plus the Pacific Northwest location. Couldn't put it down and have referred many others to read it. Also his Big Burn and The Worst Bad Times were very well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy plot, February 17, 2013
Good read, draws you into very interesting topics. Timothy Egan is good on details but you never feel overwhelmed. His romance story line needs work, he hasn't had to use that with his other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, January 15, 2013
The Winemaker's Daughter was received quickly, undamaged and at a reasonable price. Ordering through this resource was easy and simple.

The Winemaker's Daughter
The Winemaker's Daughter by Timothy Egan (Paperback - January 11, 2005)
$16.00 $13.87
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies