5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!
Murray Pura has found a new fan across the ocean! After reading The Face of Heaven I can't get enough of his writing. So, The Wings of Morning was the next of Pura's books that I've read - and certainly not my last! From the first page I was hooked and I knew this was going to be another awesome book.

It's 1917 and the Amish have not yet made a decision on...
Published on August 21, 2012 by Marian Baay

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Idea
I thought that the story idea is there. However, the book gets a bit wordy leaving it hard to follow at times.

I enjoyed reading the book, please don't get me wrong. I couldn't put it down at times because I wanted to know more about what was going on.

I'm not sure if I would read another book by Pura right now, but down the road, who knows.
Published 21 months ago by Emily Gumbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book!, August 21, 2012
Marian Baay (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)

It's 1917 and the Amish have not yet made a decision on aeroplanes. Jude Whetstone is a convert of the Lapp Amish community. He loves the aeroplanes and took lessons to fly. Some people of the community don't agree with the flying - including Lyyndaya Kurtz' parents. Jude and Lyyndaya grew up together and slowly fell in love. Now Lyyndaya's parents don't want her to see Jude anymore. This is breaking Lyyndaya's heart, but as a good Amish daughter she will obey her parents.

In Europe WWI is afoot. The Amish don't fight in war, but when the US Army finds out that Jude is a good pilot and has not enlisted to fight in Europe, he soon finds himself imprisoned - together with some other young men from his community. The Amish men are treated badly. Jude is praying for a way out of prison and understands that the only way to end the imprisonment is to enlist. When he does, the other men are freed and returned to their community. Jude's decision is not understood among his people and he is shunned.
Jude knows he is in the will of God and asks God to guide him through the air fights. He learns to fight the Germans without killing anyone.

Lyyndaya is not allowed to send letters to Jude, but she decides to write him letters and keep them somewhere safe until he has returned from Europe and his shunning is ended. Jude is also sending letters to Lyyndaya weekly, but she can't read them.
Through reports the Amish are informed about what Jude is doing in France, but the question why Jude ever enlisted remains unanswered. Then a report comes in that Jude's plane was crashed and he is missing in action and presumed dead.

Meanwhile in Pennsylvania there's an outbreak of the Spanish flu and Lyyndaya volunteers to care for the sick. Then one day at the hospital a stranger is whispering her name...

I can't find the right words to described how much I enjoyed this book. Mr. Pura is an awesome and fascinating writer. Normally I don't read many Amish books, but the way Pura combines Amish, history and WWI is phenominal. I can't wait to read Pura's next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique twist on Amish Fiction, February 15, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
One of my favorite genres to read in between a good Christian historical and a young adult paranormal is an Amish fiction! Amish fiction is unlike any other genre and I just love reading about their ways of life even if I don't really understand it! This is my first time reading anything by Murray Pura and I was impressed by the attention to historical detail in this Amish fiction.

Both Jude Whetstone and Lyyndaya Kurtz are from families that have recently converted over to the Amish faith and now they are slowly falling in love. For them to fall in love wouldn't be too bad except that Lyyndaya's dad isn't happy about Jude's flying. Jude loves to fly aero planes and he thinks he should get as much flying time in that he can before the Amish decide to ban flying.

When an Army officer sees Jude's amazing ability to fly he is suddenly told that he has to join the military and that religious exemption does not apply to the newly formed Amish community. That meant him and some other men from the community were forced to enlist. Will Jude and Lyyndaya's love for each other stand the test of war, religious freedoms and shunning?!

The only thing I struggled with was the middle part of the book that dealt with Jude during the war. There was a lot of details and that part is just not very interesting to me but I still enjoyed the story.

I received this book from the Publisher Harvest House and was not required to give a positive review.

I loved the unique delivery of The Wings of Morning. Never had I ever read any Amish fiction that deals with war, flying or flu epidemic. You will be wondering who will live, who will fall in love and who will be shunned. A very different and great Amish fiction!

5.0 out of 5 stars Airborne and lovelorn!, April 30, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
Lyyndya is faced with a fierce contradiction- abandon her love of for her Amish life or her love of her life, Jude. What makes her life full of decision and also the unknown is that her love is a flying ace in the war. Something the Amish do not permit. Letters are written between the two loves, but they cannot be read by each other. What seems to be impossible becomes even more a distant hope as circumstances take a turn for the worse. Lyyndya faces even more rejection by becoming a nurse. Her personal faith requires her to offer such compassion to those in need, but her community faith cannot reckon this choice.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book- the tension was just right and the love story an exciting journey to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wings of Morning by Murray Pura, April 26, 2012
Most Amish fiction I have read is like the icing on cake: sweet, but little substance. The Wings of Morning is like an entire meal! The writing quality never falters, the storyline is believable and fascinating besides. I'd never heard before - yet see now the reason why - the Amish were despised, ridiculed and abused by some people during World War 1. This book also gave me a new appreciation for the sturdy and obedient faith of the Amish; it's a depth of lifetime commitment non-Amish Christians of today could learn from. All in all, superb storytelling in a page-turner of a novel from gifted writer Murray Pura.

5.0 out of 5 stars My eyes were opened!!, April 24, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
This book was a wonderful read, I was sad the day I finished it!! The Wings of Morning includes romance between two Amish teenagers, Jude Whetstone and Lyyndaya Kurtz and the struggles they are faced with in the timeframe of World War 1 and the Spanish Flu epidemic. The story's backbone is also bravery and trusting in God. During the imprisonment of Jude and other community members for refusing to fight in the war because it was against their religion to kill, Jude enlists to fly for the United States Air Force to free them, which ends in him being banned from the Amish community. Jude wrestles with the thought of killing people and relies on his faith in God; just as Lyyndaya has to do back at home. The Spanish Flu had hit their community, including Lyyndy's sister, so she she volunteers to help the ones plagued by this sickness. Even though Lyyndy and Jude aren't allowed to recieve letters from eachother, they continue to write in the hopes that once the war is over Jude will be allowed back into the community and then they will be able to read eachother's love letters. Eventually, after all the characters went through, Jude and Lyyndy got their happy ending. The book ends the way it begins with Jude flying Lyyndy in the aeroplane and doing a barrel roll, but the latter was their first flight as a married couple. Beautifully written. I'm looking foward to Mr. Pura's next books :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and deep at the same time, April 23, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
BUY THIS BOOK - it is fun and thought provoking!! There is nothing I love better than a good story! Murray is a beautiful writer and it is impossible to go wrong picking up anything with his name attached. This book held an added appeal because my husband is a pilot. He is in the military as well. Both my husband and I have grappled with the question of the morality of war. We have talked in depth about how to reconcile our beliefs as Christians (that all life is sacred) and his potential to be placed in a position to take human life. These are difficult and significant questions. What do we do when life puts us in positions where it is not obvious where we are to stand? What if God puts us in a situation where we are asked to do things that appear to others to be wrong? Murray took on some of these quandaries in a story full of love, family, community, religion, and war. The book answers all of the questions with a resounding - Our God is faithful to us!! He never leaves us to figure it out all alone!! He is good! The tale was GRIPPING and lovely. A++ Mr. Murray - Keep Writing Please!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wings Of Morning, April 11, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
Join the adventure as the Amish work through the issue of flying an aeroplane and one of their own who appears to have gone to war willingly. Follow the love story of Jude and Lyyndaya and see what happens when another woman tries to win Jude's heart. The ending is one you won't soon forget. Be warned, this is one book that will cause you to lose sleep as you stay up to find out what happens next!

4.0 out of 5 stars The wings of morning, April 9, 2012
Edna Tollison "Mama T" (Laurens, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
I enjoy reading about the Amish way of life even if I do not agree with their ways. It is always interesting to see which author will come up with another book and Murray Pura is one I have never read his work. I recieved the Review copy of this manuscrip for my review from Wynn-Wynn Media, LLC. Thanks Jeane

As Lyyndaya Kurtz is working in the family garden she heard something she though was bees and then she saw that it was aeroplanes. There were six of them and one broke away and few even closer to the ground and a hand came out and waves at her. Then it landed in her papa's field. She could not believe her eyes when a young man got out, and as all the children and Lyyndaya ran to meet him it was Jude a friend of Lyyndaya's she could not believe he flew from Philadelphia just to see her. No one knew they were counting, as was a coustom of the Amish youth. This was something that the Amish did not do and it really was not too appealing to Lyyndaya's dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, April 5, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
Beautiful woven story about a young man Jude in 1917 that has fallen in love with flying airplanes. When the war breaks out young American men are often enlisting into the Military. But Jude being Amish- is supposed to be a man of peace and not be part of the war. However many of the ones who choose peace over war are persecuted- especially the Amish since they are of German decent!!! Jude and his Amish Friends are taken and transported to a military base. Jude has a big decision to make- does he remain loyal to the Amish or does he make a decision that can save his whole Amish community but later cause Jude to be shunned- even shunned by his love "Lyyndy Lou"!!!! Can love sustain through- war- being shot behind enemy lines- shunning and what all else that happens to Jude while in France???? Lyynda Lou wants to help with the Spanish Flue epidemic- while waiting for Jude. Can their love stand the test of time???? Can Lyynda Lou go against all odds and stay true to Jude???

I will say Murray Pura hit the jackpot on this book- I absolutely adore the way the story is covering every possible angle on a story that is very gripping!!! Muraay had me hooked on the first chapter into the book!!!! Definetly a 5 star rating!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wings Of Morning, March 15, 2012
This review is from: The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) (Paperback)
Lyyndaya Kurtz and her family became Amish and were living with the Lapp Amish settlement for 10 years. Jude Whetstone and his family had done the same. Jude and Lyyndaya were friends from day one. Now older and ready to court, Jude and Lynndaya were attracted to each other.

Jude loved flying and could do maneuvers like no other. It was 1917 and the Amish had yet to decide if aeroplanes should be allowed or not. It was also the beginning of WW1. The US Military found out about Jude's extraordinary flying skills and they convinced Jude to join them. He said he did it to save lives. Jude know he would be shunned because the Amish did not believe in joining the military but he felt it's what God wanted him to do.

While Jude was in France, Lyyndy (as Jude called her) and Jude wrote to each other. These letters strengthened their relationship with each other and God, even though they couldn't get each others letters due to the shunning.

Jude decided that he would shoot down enemy planes but only to cause harm to the plane, not the pilot. He was soon recognized as a gentleman of the air. After Jude brought down a German Ace that killed many people, he was also shot down over enemy lines. He was presumed dead. Lyyndy decided to save lives like Jude, and helped nurse those with the deadly Spanish Flu. While working with patients in Philadelphia, she discovered Jude on her ward.

Jude returned home only to discover that the shunning was still in effect. Will he repent of his sins and be brought back into the church? Will he stay in the miitary? Do Jude and Lyyndy ever get to court?

Another character in this book is Emma Zook. The relationship with Emma Zook and Lyyndy was odd to me. Emma was trying to get Jude's attention when she knew he only had eyes for Lynndy. Lyyndy went from being jealous of Emma to being close to her and calling her a sister. When a woman is saying she is going to marry the man I want to marry, I wouldn't be calling her sister. Emma went so far to say that if it were the time of King Solomon in the Bible, Jude could have more than one wife - Emma and Lyyndy both could be married to Jude.

Anyone who enjoys reading about WW1, war planes and aerial conflict will enjoy this book. There are a lot of air battle scenes described as Jude fights the Germans. It seemed a bit far fetched that Jude only shot the plane to force it down, not to kill the pilot. I did some research and discovered that there were real life pilots that did this.

The scene at the end off the story, when Jude is given the chance to repent for joining the military, during the church service is touching. I don't want to give it away, you have to read the book to discover what goes on. I found myself wanting to keep reading to find out what was happening and if Lyyndy and Jude ever got together. I liked how the characters depended on the word of God that they learned from childhood to help them through difficult times.

I received a free copy of this e-book from NetGalley for my honest review.

The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History)
The Wings of Morning (Snapshots in History) by Murray Andrew Pura (Paperback - February 1, 2012)
$13.99 $12.54