Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on April 15, 2010
I would love to do an "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" procedure so I could watch all 5 seasons of "The Wire" again for the first time. I'm obsessed with the show as are many others I know. Since there's no more episodes and I've read everything I could find on the Web I was pysched to find this book. The essays are very uneven. Several are very good, 1 I thought was flat out great (by the Bileveau's) and the rest are so-so. Even the so-so ones were still a joy to read. Not as insightful or provocative as the better ones but it was still fun to go back through some of the scenes and dialog. The Bileveau's piece on Michael and Namond was the highlight for me. It combined solid literary criticism w/ insightful social applications.

If you're obsessed with "The Wire" I don't think you really have a choice but to read this book. You won't love all of the essays (some of them you'll finish and won't remember any of what you read) but you'll look forward to picking it up each time.
on March 25, 2010
This book of essays is fantastic, allowing one to delve much further into the deep sea of powerful narrative that is The Wire. The essays are interesting, expertly-written and demonstrate a deep knowledge of and respect for the show, while offering an expanded view of the power of The Wire. Worth every dollar. I wish more volumes like this were available for television series.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2010
The book contained easy-to-follow and yet, structurally sound and interesting arguments and analyses regarding various aspects of "The Wire". It had very little direction and was more a compilation of critical looks into the dimensions of the show. I used this book as a tool in for a course solely structured around using "The Wire" a s a critical lens through which to view various aspects of life and the human condition especially with regard to dualities in the inner cities of america. It was helpful despite being a little bland and presumptuous at certain points.
on August 25, 2015
It's fine for being used.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2012
The Wire: Urban Decay and American Television is a good companion for anyone who is interested in delving deeper into the myriad connections and themes of one of television's most complicated shows. This collection of essays runs the full gamut of topics, from exploring the forces that shaped two of the main characters in Season Four in Ralph and Luara Bolf-Beliveau's excellent "Posing Problems and Picking Fights: Critical Pedagogy and the Corner Boys" to examining homophobic attitudes of HBO forum posters towards the Wire's arguably most popular character in Kathleen LeBesco's "Gots to Get Got: Social Justice and Audience Response to Omar Little".

Historical explorations of Baltimore, character studies, television narrative complexity - there's a LOT of meat here. But then again, the show is so rich that I felt that there is absolutely no shortage of material and perspectives for another collection.

Because the collection covers such a broad spectrum of topics, its appeal may fluctuate from essay to essay. I would find myself immersed in one section (Jason Read's Stringer Bell's Lament: Violence and Legitimacy in Contemporary Capitalism), only to be completely disengaged and outright confused in another (Kevin McNeilly's Dislocating America: Agnieszka Holland Directs "Moral Midgetry" did nothing for me because I'm unfamiliar with the process of directing). I expect this to be the case for most readers; thus it's tough to throw out a solid recommendation for every Wire fan out there.

Still, I suspect that if you enjoyed the series enough to seek out additional analysis, there's definitely something in here for you. Personally, this book has earned a place on my bookshelf, as the Wire has cemented its spot in my DVD collection as television's most engaging and demanding show.
0Comment2 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2010
An interesting collection of essays on a variety of topics. Insightful analysis but not too highbrow. Also, it was nice going through the plot summaries again.
0Comment2 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse