5.0 out of 5 stars The Wishing Tree, February 14, 2009
This review is from: The Wishing Tree (Hardcover)
In today's world we have many children who are facing the deployments of a parent. The Wishing Tree is a beautifully written and illustrated book and would make a perfect gift for these kids. It presents a very positive approach for a strategy to help a child through the many days until the parent returns. This book is also a great read for children who have friends who are facing the struggles of missing a parent. In my third grade classroom, we created a "Challenge Tree" to apply the lesson learned in The Wishing Tree to our lives. We each would write a goal or a self-challenge on a ribbon and tie it onto our pencil. When we achieve that goal, we then can transfer the ribbon onto our tree. It is a visable reminder of our accomplishments. I highly recommend this book as a read-aloud and as a gift book for any child, but especially to children of military members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful as a counseling tool., November 2, 2013
This review is from: The Wishing Tree (Hardcover)
I currently work as a school counselor, and I ordered this book to use with a group of military kids. It's a good book to use with kids whose parents are deployed. The kids love it. It was easy to come up with supplemental activities to use with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, February 22, 2009
This review is from: The Wishing Tree (Hardcover)
I read this book with my seven year old this week, and she is helping me write the review. We like the book because it presents a realistic picture of a child's feelings when a parent is away. In this case, the parent is in the armed forces, but all children whose parents travel will appreciate the story even if their parents are not in danger. Amanda deals with her concerns for her father by making a "wishing tree." She ties bows with wishes on them to a craft tree. My daughter plans to do this next time her father is away on business.

The Wishing Tree
The Wishing Tree by Mary Redman (Hardcover - October 1, 2008)
$15.95 $13.56