Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 22, 2005
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, the author of such books as "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" among others, was a highly intelligent and incredibly witty man. His keen observations of the world, and the often satirical commentary he made on it, are a delight to read, and this book pulls together some real gems from many of his books, speeches, and personal notebooks. There are some 358 quotations included, divided into categories as follows: (1) on men, women, children, and human nature, (2) on love, marriage, and romance, (3) on virtue, vice, and conduct, (4) on politics and history, (5) on religion, (6) on youth and aging, (7) on truth, honesty, lies, and illusion, (8) on reading, writing, and education, (9) on health and exercise, (10) on money and business, (11) on travel, and (12) on various other subjects. Each quote is attributed to its source for easy reference. This is a very slim and very affordable little volume, only fifty-five pages in length, and in fact my only criticism is that it doesn't include more material. But it is still well worth getting, and at this price it won't break any pocketbooks.

Here is a small selection of what you can expect:

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society" (pg. 3).

"Familiarity breeds contempt -- and children" (pg. 7).

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them" (pg. 15).

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" (pg. 23).

"Heaven for climate, Hell for company" (pg. 28).

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years" (pg. 28).
33 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 28, 2005
I have always been a fan of Mark Twain since I first read Huck Finn.

This is a great little book his quotations from his writings and speeches.

It's a nice little stocking stuffer as the book is small.

Some of my favorites:

"Classic." A book which people praise and don't read.

Honesty is the best policy--when there is money in it.

Some people like when they tell the truth. I tell the truth lying.

In God We Trust. I don't belive it would sound any better if it were true.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Martyrdom covers a multitude of sins.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries of life disappear and life stands explained.
on November 5, 2004
Enjoy few quotes from this humorous book, then go and buy a copy:

ADVERTISING

During his days as a journalist, the young Mark Twain once edited a small newspaper in Missouri. A subscriber wrote in, saying that he had found a spider in his paper and asked whether this was a sign of good or bad uck. Twain answered:

"Dear Subscriber: Finding a spider in your paper was neither good luck nor bad luck for you. The spider was merely looking over our paper to see which merchant is not advertising so that he can go to that store, spin his web across the door and lead a life of undisturbed peace ever afterward."

ADVICE

It is beter to give than receive - especially advice. Mark Twain was always willing to donate free advice to the needy and the unsuspecting. "It's notble to be good", he said, "and it's nobler to teach others to be good, and less trouble."

Whenever you find that you are on the side of majority, it is time to reform (- or pause and reflect).

BELIEFS

If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him.

SURGERY

Mark Twain offered this advice on the proper state of mind for undergoing surgery: "Console yourself with the reflection that you are giving the doctor pleasure, and that he is getting paid for it."

INSULTS

When Mark Twain disapproved of someone, he was not likely o keep it a secret. A remark he made on hearing of the death of an annoying person is typical:

"He has done a thing for me which I wouldn't even have done for myself. If he will only stay dead now I will call the account square and drop the grudge I bear him."
on September 8, 2001
A hilarious book of qoutes, sayings, and one-liners only Mark Twain could have the genious to create.
A qoute from Adam, the first of many: Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent.
From Adam, the wit and humor only becomes more hysterical, more riveting, more evident; and we soon discover the true intelligence of Mark Twain. He was not an ordinary man; for no mere ordinary man could have thought, and often dared, to utter such words as Mark Twain, in the era in which he lived.
The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain contains some of his most outrageous qoutes, either written within his books, or his journals, and spanning more than four decades. A great read, which you don't have to start at the beginning, and work your way to the end. And a perfect way to escape the drollery of prime time television.
on May 21, 2000
Mark Twain captures human nature at it's best and worst in this book. The collection of quotes by Twain "alphabetically" comment honestly on topics ranging from adultery to government to money to youth. Such insight into humanity rarely comes along in a lifetime (or several lifetimes!) His words in truly reflect society during his lifespan and, as I have reread this book several times, the passages reflect society today. This book is an "easy read" as it contains memorable quotes as well as portions of a variety of speeches, papers and books/stories Mr. Twian wrote. You can read the entire book at one sitting or glance through it if you have a few minutes to spare and still feel the impact of his writings , thus finding yourself highly amused by his insight. You can pick up the book again at a later time and enjoy it as much as before. The "authors"/collectors/writers of this book are to be applauded.
Mark Twain was one of the funniest human beings that ever visited this planet. He was also a very decent one . He was skeptically wise and had the ability to a sentence or two put the most pretentious of all creatures , the human one, in its place.

This is the man who upon the premature publication of an obituary about him, replied " The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".

One special reason I have a particular love for his work, is the fact that he of all the great writers, showed the most sympathy and insight into the life and situation of the Jews.

He is one of the few writers who it seems to me never has to try to be funny, because he simply is.

This collection of some of his most famous quips and remarks is a real treat.
on August 8, 2010
Yes, there are many nice quotes in the book, but this review is about the book itself. I have perhaps 15% of the book remaining to read (in the Kindle edition) and have lost count of the number of quotes that appear two or three times at different places in the book, each time introduced as if the reader had not seen it previously -- sometimes as the same standalone quote, sometimes repeated within a larger anecdote, sometimes slightly modified. It is as if the author didn't think Twain had said enough to fill a book without being redundant. Reading what Twain had to say about reports of his death, or other authors, or creative insults, or perspectives on religion, or the character of Congress is a lot of fun. Reading the same quotes about those subjects, and more, over an over again is not as fun. Also, there are various passages that are unattributed anecdotes about Mark Twain that seem out of place without some missing explanation -- their punchlines are what someone else said about Twain or what someone else said about something else entirely while in Twain's presence, but the source of the information is a bit of mystery and, of course, is not actually Twain's wit or wisdom. They are sometimes nice anecdotes but they hang oddly in the text without the author explaining how the thing is known or why it relates to the subject at hand -- it is as if the real subject is something like "clever things Mark Twain and others around him sometimes said." Finally, in the Kindle edition at least, there are various places where one cannot tell whether a sentence is part of the author's narrative or a quotation from Twain himself, which again adds to the sense of the book having not been adequately prepared prior to publication.
on June 2, 2014
What can I say? Those of love Samuel, love him. Those that don't.....well no comment. This is a great resource of quotes taken from his personal letter, his books and speeches. He had a way of looking at things from angles I would never think of. RIP and know your words live on Mr. Twain...
on February 16, 2016
This is my first ever kindle book - in fact I have never read any book on line. This works out very well as I can read it on my phone and on the computer or table. The book instead is very interesting. Always been a fan of this type of book.
Lot of old fashioned sayings.... I am not down with the book but so far so good.

Interesting way to read a book!! Paid the price for the kindle book on line with no discounts.
on February 24, 2013
I love Mark Twain, and fortunately I live where I can visit his cabin, and so many places he made famous with his writings. This book is perfect on my Kindle, as it gives so many of his quotations, and it's really a great! I highly recommend it to any Mark Twain fans out there!