2,243 Reviews
 (1,669)

4.0 out of 5 stars After 200 publications, Roberts continues to entertain
Only Nora Roberts can make me sit down and devour a 500 page book in less than 24 hours. I enjoy her writing style, I love her characters, and I thought this was the best stand-alone novel that she has written in some time. Well worth the honor of her 200th publication!

Published on April 17, 2012 by Nicole R

3.0 out of 5 stars Hero who won't take No for an answer. Sexy or creepy?
I wanted to like this book more than I did. The plot is terrific, the opening chapters grab you and don't let go. But ultimately the romance left me troubled.

Published on April 21, 2012 by J. Lawrence

4.0 out of 5 stars After 200 publications, Roberts continues to entertain, April 17, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)

Elizabeth Fitch leads a very sterile and pre-planned life: conceived from carefully planned artificial insemination to a woman lacking in emotion, a prodigy with an eidetic memory who is pre-med at Harvard at the age of 16, and still a teenage girl who feels the need to rebel as she struggles to become her own person. Her single act of rebellion results in death, being targeted by the Russian Mafia, and her entering into witness protection. Now, 12 years later, she is still hiding but as Abigail Lowry in a small Arkansas town. The Chief of Police, Brooks Gleason, has taken a professional - and personal - interest in her and Abigail has to decide if being alive is enough, or if she wants to actually live a life she never thought she could have.

Nora Roberts, in my mind, always spins a good tale. I will never claim her books are full of unexpected twists and turns or worthy of a National Book Award, but they have solid, well-developed plots, that are enjoyable to read. I thought this book was a cut above her normal. Not because of the plot, which was good, but because of the lead female character. I really liked her! She was incredibly smart, unbelievably courageous, and just a little socially awkward as truly brilliant people can be. My heart broke for the 16 year old girl and cheered for the 29 year old woman - both of whom made difficult decisions.

And now, I am left with the same feeling I always have after finishing one of Nora's books: why did I read that so fast?! However, I am physically incapable of drawing out the experience and savoring it. I have to consume it in one fabulous gulp. Luckily, her next new book comes out in just two weeks, which I fully intend to blissfully devour as well :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite in a Long Time - Just Wow - Worth Hardcover Price, April 17, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
I have to say, after the last couple stand alone books, I was taking Nora off my auto purchase for Hardbacks. Then I read the first chapter of this book from her when she emailed it to her fan club. Wow - I was hooked, went on Amazon and immediately pre ordered.
I started the book last night and just could not put it down! I love love love this book. Liz/Abigail kind of reminds me of Bones. That analytical personality trying to deal with emotions. I really liked her, in fact I loved her.
Brooks - wow! He is perfect and fantastic and well, typical Nora hero :). He is the easy talking easy going lean one with a sense of justice ::sigh::.
We get quirky characters in the town as well, and I fell in love with Brooks Mom too.
I guess what I am saying is this is a flippin Awesome Nora Book. She is back, she gives you details without going into the minutiae like she did in that smoke jumpers book (I hated that book and I have never said that about a NR book).
This book is very character driven with great interactions and I can not say enough good things about it.
This is on the keeper shelf, and more than worth the hardback price.
The book is a little predictable in what is happening, but I just love the way it was written and enjoyed the ride.
I won't spoil the book for you, but if you have been a little disenchanted with the last couple NR hardbacks or trilogies, this one redeems it all!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Nora Roberts Novel, April 18, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Although I totally agree with the complaints about the Kindle price set by the publisher, reviews should be about the quality of the book. When I buy a Nora Roberts title, I can be sure I will enjoy it. The Witness is good, and I did not have the feeling that the author was just recycling characters and plot ideas as I have in her past few books. If you like the comfort of reading a NR novel and the price does not deter you, you will like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking heroine, sexy hero, excellent suspense and a cool dog!, April 20, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)
Oh, well done Ms. Roberts. Well done!

I usually like NR's single title suspense books, but not as much as I used to. They are comfort reads because I always know the writing is technically proficient and the story is usually well constructed. Lately I haven't found them overly exciting or stupendously groundbreaking, but they are still very much dependable -- like a homemade baked Mac & Cheese. So imagine my surprise when I closed this book (after whipping through it in mere hours) with a huge contented sigh that comes not from mac & cheese, but rather from the an exquisitely seasoned and bold penne alla vodka!

In a word, this story was excellent.

Elizabeth Fitch is the genius daughter of a genius brain surgeon. Her life has been meticulously planned since even before she was born. All her meals are created and approved by a certified nutritionist. All her clothes -- the best quality and befitting the daughter of a chief of surgery -- are chosen by her mother. Even her career has been completely charted by her controlling mother. At age sixteen, Elizabeth is already a college freshmen finishing her first year in pre-med at Harvard. Her mother plans for Elizabeth to be a brain surgeon too.

A dutiful daughter, Elizabeth has gone along quietly with all this structure even if internally she laments not being like other girls her age. it isn't until a promised vacation at the beach is jettisoned in favor of an internship that Elizabeth finally balks. Her one small act of teenage rebellion leads to a horrific night of murder that lands Elizabeth in Witness protection and finally on the run for her life.

One of the reasons I enjoyed this one so much rests a lot on the shoulders of the main character Elizabeth -- who resurfaces after twelve years underground as Abby. Abby is both completely awesome and heartbreaking. Awesome, because she is a bit of a bad-ass, she has relocated to the Ozarks and created a high-tech security abode. She knows and handles guns well, can do hand-to-hand combat, has learned to take hacking to an art form and has the absolute best dog (who knows commands in at least four languages) who would rip your throat out at her least command. Heartbreaking because the sixteen year-old Elizabeth is not far from the surface and she is alone and very lonely with her burden.

Roberts does a great job with Abby. She is incredibly brilliant but also incredibly socially awkward. She doesn't know how to really relate to people and can't read social cues very well. Additionally, Roberts gives Abby these speech cadences that sounds like she's reciting things that she's read, even when she is simply conversing with people. It completely works for this character in a way no amount of description would. She practices what she wants to say or she's a few beats behind in realizing that someone is making a joke or even using a metaphor.

The heroes in NR's more recent books are usually much more well drawn and likeable than the heroines, imo. And if Abby hadn't completely won me from the minute I met her I might have liked Brooks even better than I already did. He is a Southern sheriff who ambles, greets everyone in the small town with a 'Hey' and he converses in a round-about circular fashion that just about drives the literal minded Abby crazy. But he pushes his way into her life and pushes her to stop running.

The romance was well done and took up a lion's share of the middle of the book. But this is a suspense novel as well and the suspense was,well, killing me. Abby is on the run from the Russian Mafia and they consider it a blight to their honor that she got away. They are still looking for her even though she has covered her tracks really, really well.

An entire star of this rating is devoted to the fact that Roberts avoided cliche with how she resolved the suspense part of the novel. As you are reading along, you might have some expectations of how things will go when Abby and the bad guys finally confront each other. Well, forget it. It doesn't happen that way. I loved how it was resolved because it was neat, clever and on Abby's terms. I only wish that we had gotten a reaction from the bad guys.

And finally, I liked the main bad guy. Even the relatively smallish glimpse you get of him made me actually kinda like him, even while acknowledging he was a cold blooded ruthless killer.

All in all, great balance of romance and suspense with well defined characters and a totally awesome dog named Bert. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-Notch Author at the Top of Her Game, April 21, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
This one kept me up late reading and delayed my errands the next day too because I couldn't put it down until I reached the very satisfying ending. I fell in love with both the hero and the heroine. Abigail is making a life for herself in a small town in to Ozarks. She has been on the run since she was seventeen years old and has survived by being ready to move on at a moment's notice and by keeping to herself.

Brooks is the Chief of Police in the town where he grew up. He returned home from years as a police detective in Little Rock when his family needed him. He is determined to protect and to serve and is an integral part of the town. He is fascinated with Abigail and is determined to work his way into her life because everything about her tells him she is on the run from something.

Abigail is a genius who has very little social experience. She reminds me a lot of the television portrayal of Dr. Temperance Brennan on the television show Bones. She has no social filters. She is logical and blunt. She wants to make a life for herself in this town and stop running. But to do that she will have to bring down a powerful Russian mafia family that wants her dead because she witnessed a murder.

Another plot line in this one concerns a purely local bad seed of a teenage boy and the rich father who is willing to pull strings and dispense bribes to keep his darling out of trouble. This situation parallels Abigail's larger problem but puts Brooks and Abigail in more immediate danger.

One of the strengths of this story is the strong family that has nurtured Brooks. By watching his interactions with his family, Abigail is learning what family is like. She was raised by a mother who had her almost like a science experiment and who controlled her life completely. Abigail has never known love because her mother is a cold, selfish woman who abandoned her when she wouldn't follow her mother's directives.

I loved this story and can't recommend it enough to fans of romantic suspense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hero who won't take No for an answer. Sexy or creepy?, April 21, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)

Brilliant young Elizabeth Fitch has been raised by a cold, unfeeling mother who controls her every move and treats her like a science experiment. Naturally, Liz has a moment of teenage rebellion--the kind that in ordinary circumstances would lead to nothing worse a hangover and getting grounded. But alas, during Liz's very first night of freedom, she witnesses a horrific crime and must flee for her life, unable to ever go home or live under her real name again.

Wow. That's a rollercoaster ride of a beginning. I was hooked.

However, once we re-encounter Liz as a reclusive adult (now known as Abigail) and a romantic relationship enters the picture, the book becomes problematic for me. The hero, Brooks, keeps ignoring her wishes about EVERYTHING. Things she explicitly says No to, repeatedly. No, you aren't welcome on my property; no, you can't come into my house; no, I won't go on a date with you; no, I won't sleep with you.

He's not an abusive character, by any means. He's supposed to be a good guy and mostly he is. But over and over again he refuses to respect Abigail's boundaries. In a world where we are trying to teach our daughters--and especially our sons!--that No Means No, I found that troubling.

Showing up with wine, talking your way into a woman's house, and basically announcing that it's a date without her prior consent? Oh, and it's really the *second* date (even though she never consented to the first one either) and ooooh, you know what happens on the *third* date, Abigail, wink wink? I don't care how cute you are, that's creepy!

His persistence is meant to be terribly romantic, I'm sure. But if he weren't such a nice guy, we'd call it something else. Like harassment. Or stalking.

Yes, this is all supposed to be for Abigail's own good. But if you just look at Brooks's actions, without the rose-colored glasses on, what he's doing is forcing an emotionally damaged woman out of her comfort zone and into situations that bring her to the brink of a panic attack, multiple times. How is that sexy?

I liked Liz/Abigail very much, and applauded her fledgling efforts to return to the world after so many years of living in fear. But despite his nice-guy trappings, I was deeply ambivalent about Brooks and couldn't get into the romance as a result.

1.0 out of 5 stars First Nora Roberts book read...I was disappointed, February 7, 2013
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)
This was the first Nora Roberts book I've ever read. Actually, I listened to it on audiobook. It received great reviews and was listed by good reads.com as one of the best books of 2012. This is one of the only books that I've ever stopped partaking in. I got halfway through and realized I couldn't make it through the rest. For me personally, it was too boring. Nora Roberts is a prolific writer and has a huge following, I just couldn't get into this book.

(Nobody will probably read this review, but for anyone who is searching for others who also did not care for this book maybe it will be read.)

I should say I really enjoyed the beginning of the book when Abigail is a teenager and the drama is unfolding.

My issues with the book past that, is adult-Abigail was not a believable character. She reminded me of Data from Star Trek. Even given her history, it seems unreasonable that she had so few normal emotions and was that completely socially awkward.

And perhaps it is because of the way it was read on the audiobook, but Brooks character was way too country-bumpkin. And his mother was read in a voice that sounded like someone who came from the Rose Nyland-version of St. Olaf, Minnesota.

I kept waiting for more drama to unfold for several chapters, but there was so much focus put on battles with the locals, which Brooks was dealing with and the struggle between Abigail/Brooks relationship, which I found unnecessary. We get it already! We get that Brooks is the handsome, humble, do-right Sheriff. We get that he's a good, lovable guy that exerts his power at the right time, in the right way so that he also looks tough and sexy and bad-ass and desirable. We get that the hottest piece in town is falling all over herself to be with him, but yet, he's choosing Abigail. Let's move on!

And I'm sorry, but enough with the druggie 17-year-old kid with a powerful father who thinks he can stomp all over everyone in town...WELL, except for Abigail and Brooks, that is! They are tough and don't take no crap! They fight for what's right! And they make love! And they drink wine! And they eat Abigail's organically-grown vegetables in her homemade gourmet fare!

Exactly at what point in the book does the action start happening again? I have no idea because I couldn't make it there. I'm glad I only paid $6 for the audiobook, as opposed to the normal $20. I couldn't get into it as a love story, a mystery/suspense, a coming-of-age....what is this story supposed to be? Whatever it was, this book was a disappointment for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it when an author makes me loose myself in a book!, April 21, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Elizabeth could be any one of us as a teen. We may not have gone to her extreme but we all desired some independence that our parents would not grant us and the consequence of her rebellion had a terrible repercussion. I'm not going to summarize the book cause you can read it yourself...but I will say this: Nora Roberts, being one of my favorite authors, let's me escape into another time, feel feeling for another girl, and grow with the main character. I love to be able to entrench myself in a book and Nora Roberts has never failed me. This book is no different. I hope that she enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it...although, I doubt that she wrote it in the time it took me to read it... 36 hrs! And it would have been shorter if my kids hadn't interrupted my journey! Thanks Ms. Roberts!.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, April 18, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Kindle Edition)
Shame on all you one star reviewers!!!

First off, all you giving this book a 1 star review for a pricing issue YOU have is terrible. The author doesn't set the prices -- this is done by the publisher and Amazon. Your review should be on the content of the book itself. HATE when people do this!

On to the book . . . LOVE Nora, and this was no exception. Much better than her last non-series book, which was the one about the firejumpers. Blech. Too much about the profession than the love story. This, however, delivers the love story that we all have come to expect from her!

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is Nora?, April 29, 2012
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)
I barely finished the first book in the Boonsboro Trilogy and refused at first to buy this book. But knowing it was Nora, one of my fav authors, I took the bait of a new book. This book started out well and went downhill quickly and I felt the ending was incredibly thrown together just to get the book finished. I was connected to the heroine until the second part of the book and I never felt that Brooks was a great hero. I feel she is just writing books to write them these days, not really putting much development into them. Sorry NR, but I am not buying any more of your books. And I totally agree...the price of ebooks is ridiculous! I remember when it was a deal to have a Kindle...books were cheaper; not anymore!