Published on June 2, 2006 by Paul Tognetti

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Just okay
Published 1 month ago by L. A. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection of the biggest and best from an important 70's artist, June 2, 2006
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
It has been an awfully long time since Helen Reddy had her last big chart hit. Her music has all but disappeared from the radio. That's too bad. But the fact of the matter is that Helen Reddy was a major force in popular music during the 1970's. For those seeking a pretty complete anthology of her hits Capitol's 2006 release "The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection" would appear to be an excellent choice. This disc contains just about every one of her important Top 40 hits as well as a number of gems from her LP's. Everyone will remember the great hit singles from her heyday like "Angie Baby", "Delta Dawn", "Ain't No Way To Treat a Lady" as well as the song that made her famous "I Am Woman" from 1972. But if I had to choose my favorite Helen Reddy tunes they would have to be her remake of Cilla Black's "You're My World" followed closely by 1973's "Peaceful". To be honest I had not listened to Helen Reddy's music for quite some time and I had forgotten what a terrific voice this lady possesses.

"The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection" includes a colorful and informative 12 page booklet. I was surprised to see that another reviewer was quite critical of the sound quality of this disc. I did not find that to be the case at all. In fact, I found the sound quality to be superb and I thought the remastering really enhanced my enjoyment of these 30 year old recordings. A big "thumbs up" on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expands on Reddy's multiplatinum Greatest Hits & More package, June 13, 2006
John Jenks (West Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
The Woman I Am compiles all of Reddy's biggest hit singles from her heyday, but the real finds are minor hits, stray b-sides, & tracks never before anthologized, such as Crazy Love, Think I'll Write a Song, Candle On The Water from Pete's Dragon, and the lesser known Mama, written by Harriet Schock who also penned one of Reddy's gold-sellers, Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady. (I know Reddy is more or less retired, but she should seriously consider an entire album of Schock material.) Saving the best for last (download at iTunes), Reddy has included her original demo of I Am Woman where, accompanied by the rhythmic strumming of a lone guitar, she delivers a gutsier vocal performance than the saccharine-sweetened ear candy that nevertheless topped the charts.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: The 20th Century Masters Millenium Collection of Yvonne Elliman (who after all originated I Don't Know How To Love Him and curiously shares another Reddy overlap with Somewhere In The Night), the 20th Century Masters Millenium Collection of Rita Coolidge, Bette Midler's The Divine Miss M (to hear how Delta Dawn should be done!), and any of Harriet Schock's CDs, particularly American Romance & Live: From Fairfax To Pasadena -- or for the truly adventurous, her long out-of-print 70's LPs, which may prove more difficult to find but are certainly worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Love Helen's Voice, February 14, 2011
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
This CD has many of Helen Reddy's classic hits. Wish she would come out of retirement and do another album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a Helen Reddy Album, July 1, 2013
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Album should contain the warning: Songs must be sung. I just bought this for my niece for her first birthday (along with every age-appropriate toy and form of transportation). I grew up listening to these songs. My sister and I would sing them, standing on the brick hearth in front of the fire place, literally day after day after day. And I'm a guy. So I wanted my niece to get an early start on the melodies and lyrics, and get as much joy from these tunes as we did. And now I have someone new to sing them with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 27, 2010
J.A.L. (Ottawa, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Helen Reddy was often dubbed the queen of 1970's pop. She was definately one of the best female vocalists from the decade for sure. If you are only going to buy one Helen Reddy CD; this is the one to own. It has all of her best songs. Exceptionally great tracks include : Best Friend, I am Woman, Peaceful, Emotion, Ain't No Way to Treat a Lady and Candle on the Water. Her music inspires, entertains and educates as she put it herself in a recent interview.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!, November 24, 2012
I LOVE this album! The songs take me back to being a teenager & being inspired by her beautiful voice and insightful lyrics. GOOD stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation But Not The Best Remastering!, February 20, 2009
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this cd, and all the songs are outstanding. However, the analogue to digital transition did not make use of all noise reduction techniques. I am hearing crackles in the sound on all the songs. It is a disappointment, to say the least. I have enjoyed reading Helen's comments about each track though. But, Capitol Records should have known better when remastering this collection that they should have filtered out all background analogue noises!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great to listen to Helen Reddy songs again and her ..., September 28, 2014
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
It was great to listen to Helen Reddy songs again and her wonderful voice. Her voice is right up there with Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand and others only you never get to here her on the radio anymore. You will not regret buying her cds. She was definitely part of the sexual revolution and womans lib & equality. She sings strong & powerful female songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The woman I Am: The Definite Collection, June 26, 2014
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
I have hunted and hunted for a Helen Reddy CD that includes the song "Candle on the Water" which she sang in the Disney movie "Pete"s Dragon" It is one of the most beautiful songs Helen has sung and yet, it is left out of all her other CD's ?? The rest of the collection is great and includes most of her hit songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 13, 2014
This review is from: The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Someone requested "Candle on the Water" to be sung for their recent wedding. I went on line to find it because I was not sure if I knew the song or could learn it in three weeks time. I was pleased to find it was sung by Helen Reddy (just my perfect range). I listened to a snip from the recording and ordered it to learn from. Sheet music and accompaniment CD were ordered also. The "Woman I Am" collection brought back so many memories; happy and sad. I am listening to it on my commute still, even though the wedding took place a week ago. I will certainly enjoy it for many years to come. Beautiful collection!

The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection
The Woman I Am: The Definitive Collection by Helen Reddy (Audio CD - 2006)