Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 32 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 6, 2015
I'm not sure where to even begin.

I wanted to love this book, because I love breastfeeding even though my journey with it was far from awesome in the beginning. Furthermore, it was a book out of many I had to read for my postpartum doula training.

But Jesus, is this book judgy. Almost every page made my skin crawl and roll my eyes in disbelief. This... This is what new mothers are reading? For effs sake, PLEASE GOD NO. For your sanity, relationship with yourself and your baby, do not buy this book and instead go to a lactation consultant or an actual LLL meeting - those are far more helpful.

This book makes it seem like everything should happen naturally and it should come easily - all you need to do is go to a beautiful brook in a forest and birth your baby with your own hands, wrapped in spring air while the breeze softly caresses your supple breasts that know what to do to feed your baby. And if you don't have this natural experience, then you are less of a mother and your relationship with your baby will suffer greatly.

Get over yourselves. Not everyone will have the same experience, so how about you drink a big cup of shut the hell up and actually write a helpful book on breastfeeding and all the challenges that are likely to come up instead of making women feel like crap about something that doesn't really even matter in the grand scheme of things.
on August 23, 2011
This is a great book for convincing new mothers to breastfeed. But that's not why I bought it... I was looking for information about HOW to breastfeed, what the typical problems are and how to deal with them. All of this takes up maybe one chapter in this book - the rest talks about how breastfeeding is great for getting your child to sleep etc. If you're looking for a how-to on breastfeeding, this really isn't it.
22 comments|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
I gave this book 2 stars because of the info on the laid-back position, which has been great for us and I hadn't found anywhere else. Other than that, I found myself thinking "f*** off" every other page. Our children won't be broken if we refuse to be a human pacifier, if dad bottle feeds periodically, or if we want an epidural. The culture surrounding upper-middle class motherhood has truly become fastidious and toxic. No thanks.
on September 11, 2014
I bought this book before delivering in hopes to solely breastfeed. After struggling with low birth weight and visits from a lactation consultant, I came to realize that I just cannot produce enough milk to fully satisfy. The book stresses that all women can feed their babies and that it's the best thing, etc etc. I felt that this book did not have sufficient advice on how to handle low milk production issues. Also I was devastated by the inability to fully provide for my baby's needs. This was a very depressing time for me. My lactation consultant had more advice to offer than this book could. It would be helpful to have better latching techniques described, as well as breast compressions. Perhaps more illustrations on how to do these things would be helpful too. I think this book would be much more useful to many women if these details were included.
on June 22, 2015
If you plan to have medication for delivery do not read this book. It's very negative and judgmental for moms using medication. It also spends a lot of time talking about fluff and not getting into what I would consider helpful information about breastfeeding for a first time mom. It is also all anecdotal with no citations to research.
on January 3, 2016
I think there are worthwhile pieces of information in this book but it's very important to remember to not take the biased jabs to heart. On almost every single page is a comment regarding babies and being medicated (due to getting an epidural) and the problems regarding it. I get it, the author holds in high regard the natural birthing process, but to insert throughout the entirety of the book comments that only instill intense guilt and lack of confidence in our own decisions is extremely unnecessary.
on November 20, 2014
I have gotten 3/4 of the way through this book and don't think it would be healthy for me to finish it. I agree with many of the reviews posted here that the book is harsh and judgmental toward women. The basic philosophy seems to be that your primary responsibility as a woman is to feed your baby. All the time. Anything that gets in the way of this, including your career, is secondary and detrimental to everyone involved. I know there is a chapter I have not yet read on being away from your baby that includes going back to work, and if there is anything else I do want to read it is that one (because I will definitely be going back to work), but the intro to that section seems to suggest that you SHOULD be home, all the time, with the baby, but if you MUST INSIST on leaving your baby, say, to have a career or go to work, then proceed to chapter x for details. I can feel the author's eyeroll.

The constant plugging of La Leche League meetings gets exhausting. As does the constant referalls to "Chapter 18", the tech support chapter. Yes, they call it tech support. You can tell the author(s) are making a conscious effort to connect to younger readers, but when they do it actually makes me cringe because it is so obvious that they are not so themselves. My suggestion would be that if you do want to appeal to a younger generation then make the book more accommodating to people who do want to continue their career even while being a breastfeeding mommy.
on June 17, 2015
Too much loaded language for mothers who may end up having breastfeeding and delivery troubles. I really dislike how they refer to a non-medicated, vaginal birth as "normal." Says who? If you HAVE to have a c-section, is your birth then abnormal?
on June 10, 2014
I work with women and infants and provide breastfeeding support and also breastfed my two children. As a staunch supporter of breastfeeding, I've also been a member of the LLL and didn't hesitate to buy this book when it came out a couple of years ago (not sure why it took me so long to write a review). Unfortunately, I find that this book is written in a fashion that I find overly pushy, which obscures some of the really excellent information to be found in-between the barbs and judgements aimed at those who decide to do things other than how they are presented here.

I've kept this book as a professional reference, but I don't recommend it to the mothers I work with and I've since let my LLL membership lapse. When and if they decide to go with a more inclusive message, I would definitely consider re-joining.
on December 8, 2015
Now six months pregnant, I have been looking for tools and info because I have heard that many lactation consultants in birthing centers have no uniform training and send mixed, yet somehow absolute messages. My mother breast fed and went to La Leche meetings as well as never having imparted much fear to me about natural childbirth, so I guess you could say I am on board and didn't need the first several chapters of preaching on the subjects. While I found the book engrossing, I spent as much time analyzing it as propaganda as I did learning nursing techniques. Giant eye roll to the excessive amount that they blame medical interventions during labor for every possible problem from latching to trouble bonding with baby. I have friends who had completely natural deliveries and still experienced these issues and more. God forbid you should pick this book up after some medically necessary procedures, because the shaming is out of control and unnecessary. They also really lost me on the; "you don't have to go back to work" BS. As the breadwinner in my family, this is hardly an option for me, nor is it one for the current generation of women in these socioeconomic times. But clearly, their reader base is presumed to be upper middle class... Just as our family is equitable in our life's work outside the home, I would like to find a book that includes the role of the father in the work of the home; sharing in bonding time with his infant.