I lived through that period of time and yet there were so many things that I had no idea took place. The war accounts and the background and lives of the women who covered the events was extremely well described and provided captivating reading. The accounts on paper touched all the emotions and once started, the book was hard to put down.
Published 19 months ago by Lifestyle in motion

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Impressive women, but dull reading. It has a "textbook quality" I got bored reading it and did not find it "gripping>"
Published 13 months ago by barbara

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring account of the women who played an important part of the War to end all Wars., December 2, 2012
Lifestyle in motion (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Contribution to Women's Herstory, December 30, 2013
One can find so much written about almost everything having to do with WW2. It is seldom --if ever---we find such a well researched and easy to read book that examines that war from a woman's perspective. And who better to provide a different perspective than a woman journalist? These women were truly amazing people. It is too bad that their viewpoint has been lost on the Current American public.

I had a little difficulty at first keeping all of the different journalists straight. But, once I got into the book, that no longer was an issue.

A must read for anyone interested in behind the scenes World War 2 history.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, June 5, 2013
This review is from: The Women Who Wrote the War: The Compelling Story of the Path-breaking Women War Correspondents of World War II (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars News to Me, January 20, 2013
This book introduced me to a part of History that, up to now, I was unaware of. As the Father of two daughters it was cool to discover that there were women breaking barriers and excelling at it. It would have been nice if there had been more examples of the stories they wrote, but otherwise an very good read

My only complaint (and this may be because I was reading it thru Kindle) it was hard to follow which journalist was being featured, Author would use full name one time, first name the next, and then last name only another time, especially when two journalists were in the chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Women Who Wrote the War, January 16, 2013
Well written and enjoyable stories from the women who wrote the war. I enjoyed reading history from a different perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Engrossing Book; Compliments Other Books on WWII, December 30, 2012
I have recently had an interest in World War II, mainly because two of my uncles were in the Navy during that war and neither wanted to talk about their experiences. For more recent wars, this response to war experiences may be part of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

I have a collection of excellent books on World War II, including Weinberg's A World at Arms, Carl's A WASP Among Eagles, Audie Murphy's To Hell and Back and Keith's Three Came Home. To my collection I add this book. These books do not remotely cover what I would have liked to hear directly from my uncles. However, these books do help me understand what happened during WWII and why we should keep interest in past conflicts alive so as to try to not have such happen again.

This book is very well written, easy to follow and held my interest completely. The subjects were covered well for a compilation and the presentation smoothly flows from one description/narration to the next. I usually prefer detailed autobiographies or biographies focused on one individual, but this book was very satisfying, namely because it covered all of the major theaters of the war. In addition, it has a good bibliography in the back and I will probably use that list for additional books to read.

Please read this book, it would be a very worthwhile endeavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, September 10, 2011
Arnold Howard (Mesquite, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Sorel's book left me wanting to know more about the women journalists of World War II. While soldiers dreamt of home, these women fought military regulations to see the war up close. American soldiers were shocked to see a woman, her hair fluttering from under an ill-fitting helmet, roar past them in a jeep heading toward the action. What amazing, unforgettable women. The book held my attention to the last page. It easily rates 5 stars.

My only criticism of the book is the mixing of first and last names. For instance, Marguerite Higgins:

"Marguerite's husband Stanley, posted in London, had a room at the Savoy reserved for her. While she awaited her orders to the Continent, they had several months together, dining and dancing as well as working. But the honeymoon idyll soon turned to frustration. If their goals had ever been the same, they were no longer; for Maggie, life as a wife quickly paled before that of a war correspondent. In January 1945 they parted ways. At the Scribe in Paris, Higgins worked hard. Her French stood her in good stead . . . ." Mixing Marguerite, Maggie, and Higgins is confusing.

$16.95 $13.48