5.0 out of 5 stars The Correct Order of all 14 Books in the series !!
Published on May 17, 2003 by Ellie Tyson

1.0 out of 5 stars Dalmatian, Change Your Spots!!!!
A foul, evil stench has blown into Munchkin Land.....

Published on May 18, 2012 by Kit Disney Ballantyne

5.0 out of 5 stars The Correct Order of all 14 Books in the series !!, May 17, 2003
Ellie Tyson (Gainesville , Florida) - See all my reviews
I know you're all wondering, "how does she know the correct order?" Is she over 100yrs old? Well, I know because my grandmother, gone for 34 yrs now, had each and every book bought hot of the presses. Inside each book, except the first, are the previous books in order. Also a couple of the names have changed a bit since they were first written but I have the Books of Wonder titles in this list.
So, here they are in correct order.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Magic of Oz
Glinda of Oz

5.0 out of 5 stars The ORIGINAL Wizard of Oz is Published, May 18, 2004
Sam A. Milazzo (Sydney, N.S.W Australia) - See all my reviews
I don't own THIS particular Edition, but I will soon, and as soon as I saw it in Dymmocks, I looked through it and thought "I've really gotta get this book!" And this is why . . . .
I'm sure that there are those of you who have the annotated Wizard of Oz and/or the Dover editions of the Wonderful/Wizard of Oz (Dover has made different copies in publishing it in different ways). the Annotated Wizard of Oz may have the pictures in full-colour, but the colour plates are in 1 whole place, in the middle of the book, and that goes the same for the recent Dover Edition of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (where Dorothy is wearing a pink dress, talking to her friends, all wearing the Green glasses). The other Dover editions of this story have the pictures in black-and-white (sometimes all, other times, a few of them) with the colour-plates in their own chapter but in black-and-white.
THIS EDITION - the 100th Anniversary Edition - is one everybody should have. It has all the pictures in colour-and-black lined with the FULL-COLOUR-Plates in their OWN PROPER CHAPTER place, e.g. "She caught Toto by the ear" in THE CYCLONE, "I am the Witch of the North" in THE COUNCIL WITH THE MUNCHKINS, etc. It even has the picture of Dorothy and Toto back in Kansas on the very final page on the book in the backboard. And when you pull off this picture-cover (the one that you see now), the actual cardboard-leather-bound cover has the EXACT SAME ORIGINAL Cover Angela Lansbury shows in "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic", where the Cowardly Lion is wearing the Green glasses on the Front cover, Toto is on the spine and the back has the faces of Dorothy, the Scarecrow and (Nick chopper) the Tin Woodman in circles.
An Important Note on this story is that it Is Imaginative But it Is Not DARK as some people say. It is not scary nor is it supposed to be attempted that way in any new adaptation, nor should it always be made similar to MGM with constant references or musical scenes. This is an AMERICAN 1900 Story, it is not English/British like J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter, Tolkien's Hobbit/LofR or C. S. Lewis' Narnia - it is its own place!! Oz is a place where animals can talk, there are strange animals who are not mythical and never appeared in any other legends, wicked people are defeated by simple acts, by it accidentally-non-magical or magical, everybody is friends and the ordinary items of our world can have strong but simple magic.
Now matter how much the MGM Musical is loved, reading this book is worth it, because it explains how many of the events in Oz came to be when Dorothy arrived: how did the Tin Woodman come to be? How did and why do the Winged Monkeys obey the Wicked Witch of the West? What became of the Winkies after the WWWitch's death? Did Lion become the King of Beasts again? Naturally the musical is different from the book, but despite the change of the Kansas beginning/ending, the story is basically the same. this book only offers MORE than the movie did.
Hope you enjoyed my descriptive review. Watch out for my other Oz and Digimon reviews (by Sam A. Milazzo).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Good Price, March 5, 2009
This version of Baum's classic book "The Wizard of Oz" makes a great, not to mention inexpensive, addition to your home library. It's both small and short, making it easy to take with you on a bus trip or for reading in bed.

Don't let the cheesy cover fool you--the book contains the actual black-and-white illustrations from the original version. For me, that was a real plus! Other than that, this printing is no-frills, just sweet and simple. No commentary or analysis, just the wonderful little story we all know and love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dalmatian, Change Your Spots!!!!, May 18, 2012
Kit Disney Ballantyne (El Paso, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
A foul, evil stench has blown into Munchkin Land.....

After a hundred years in print "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" has been drastically changed by one Suzi Alexander. She has added her name as an author to "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," which was written long before she was ever born. So, what has she done to deserve the co-author credit for a book that sold millions worldwide before she ever heard of it? The "Great and Powerful" Suzi of Oz has judged that L. Frank Baum didn't know what he was doing and thus his great novel needed to be condensed and adapted by her for modern audiences. The original, best-selling Oz needed Suzi to save it.

Tell us Suzi, Who died an made you Wizard?

This is an outrage made possible because the copyright for "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" has expired and so anyone can do anything they like with the text. Yes, by law it is now in the public domain. Anyone, anywhere can publish it.

I have many fine editions of the original novel published by divergent companies that loved the story so much they wanted to keep making it available to more and more children as well as the child in all of us. The Suzi Alexander version, however, seems to be written not by someone who loves the the original but instead by a person who thinks she can make a better version than the one who sold all these millions of copies before she got her hands on it.

May the children of the world throw a bucket of water on her and watch Suzi's wickedness melt away.

As a child who carefully memorized every single word of the original, I find the Dalmatian Press, Suzi Alexander, altered and condensed work to be nothing less than an abomination.

Keep your hands off our priceless treasures! These silver shoes do NOT belong to you!

Don't be fooled by the cover. It may say "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz," but the Dalmatian Press, Suzi Alexander version is NOT the original novel that L. Frank Baum wrote. It is not good enough to be used in fireplaces or in landfills. Suzi should attempt to write her own terrible books rather than messing with our established American classics.

Suzi, If you had enough heart to love the original, you'd have had the courage to bring it to us unblemished, but sadly you haven't got a brain and you can never go home again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great children's book, April 28, 2010
This book, which was old when I was a child, is still a great children's book. In some ways, I like it better than the famous movie made from it and starring Judy Garland. The movie was great, but time constraints caused them to leave out quite a lot. As a child, I whiled away many an hour reading this particular book. Still, if your child is an indifferent reader, you might have to think about it, since it's not written in today's style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what is advertised, January 31, 2002
Amazon Customer (STATESBORO, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Books of Wonder) (Paperback)
The book description says that all 24 color plates are included, and that this is a facsimile of the first edition. This is simply not true. The only color illustration is on the cover. Denslow's elaborate color scccheme in which the textual illustrations change as we move through Oz are missing. Buyer beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised Me.. in a good way, April 9, 2010
I remember reading this book in middle school, and not liking it very much. But as I have been re-reading may old books I read years ago, I thought I would give it another go.
I was very surprised at how much I liked it. I came into the reading prepared to dislike the book, I do the movie but this book is way better. The movie is (was... haven't seen it in years) not as in depth, as in any book to movie story.
You get more depth and filling from the lion, tin man and dorthy. I felt I got to know there past and troubles more, in this book.
I plan on reading the other books that take place in Oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars An American Classic!, January 3, 2010
AT0M1K_R3D "~R3D" (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
Im reviewing the Kindle version of this viewed on my kindle PC as I wait for my Kindle. I respect Mr. Baums hard work on this title, in a foreword he mentions wanting to create truely new myths. That's always a tall order for any writer but he does just that. It's a well known tale thats charming, humble and unpretentious in its execution.

It also has staying power, why else do adults still purchase it, line up to see the Anniversary version of the movie-- quality. You could do far worse for a snuggle up read for yourself or your children

5.0 out of 5 stars After All These Years, April 29, 2006
Wisconsin Dad (Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit, until this year I didn't care much for the Wizard of Oz. It was my wife's favorite movie (and she even has checks with Oz scenes on them), but it never was "fantasy" enough for me. I had been an avid modern fantasy/sci-fi reader until this year when I started reading classics like the Hobbit, the Chronicles of Narnia, and ultimately I picked up the Wizard of Oz.

This book is a wonderful read and I fully intend to finish the entire series. There is something so pure and simple about Baum's tale that I find myself entranced and wanting more. This book enchanted me, and immersed me in a world I wished I could visit. I love feeling amazed when I read a book, and this book amazed me.

The only thing I didn't care for in this edition is the time spent by Eloise McGraw in the forward addressing the writing style and prose of Baum. For those of you concerned that this is not the Grapes of Wrath, well...is isn't. It also is everything I need in 2006 and the world is heavy with war and hatred: a fantasy tale that takes me away from my troubles and sets me sailing into Oz. I am very glad this isn't classic literature...very glad. I hope you understand that statement as a comment of praise for Baum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different Than the Movie, May 2, 2005
A Kid's Review
This book is about a girl named Dorothy. She lives in a farm in Kansas with her aunt Em and her uncle Henry. One day a big cyclone came and with all the wind blowing and the house rocking she closed her eyes and fell asleep. When she woke up, she was not in Kansas anymore. Later on she met three friends. They had amazing adventures.

This book is not like the movie. I like the part when the tin woodsmen cut off the yellow wildcat's head and saved the queen mouse's life. This book is very EXCITING! I recommend it for people of all ages who like exciting, magical stories.

by Clio

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Books of Wonder)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Books of Wonder) by L. Frank Baum (Paperback - August 21, 2001)
$7.99 $6.53