5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Adaptation!, March 14, 2011
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
Reason for Reading: Well, a bit of a story. This first came to my attention when it was nominated for the Cybils '09 Graphic Novel Award. The publisher did not send review copies and none of us judges were able to obtain copies. This year The Marvelous Land of Oz was nominated for a Cybils '10 Award and again the same thing happened so I decided to try my luck with putting an Inter-library Loan in for the this first one again. And well, I've just now received it and been able to read it.

This is a fantastic rendition of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz! The story is true to the original and will surprise many folks whose only exposure to the story is from the old Judy Garland movie. All the wonderful characters they meet on their journey are here: the Queen of the field mice, the people made out of China, the Kalidahs, and the rest and then we have the *silver* shoes, the enchanted cap that calls the flying monkeys to do the bearers bidding, the true, gruesome story of how the tinman became tin, along with all the killing. My, there really is a lot of killing in this story. Everything that makes the book such a wonderful story has been included no matter how small. Now some parts have been skimmed over, while others got the full treatment which is only to be expected but I'm very pleased at how true this adaptation is.

The artwork is splendid. I'm not familiar with Young's work before this but he has captured the true essence of the characters in his drawings and brought them to life. Dorothy is pure farm girl, cute but doesn't take any guff. The scarecrow is perfect. He is quite a self-involved fellow when it comes down it and he's got the look of a rather dim-witted know-it-all farmer. The Tinman is my favourite! He has been represented as an actual man made out of tin. His human face complete with mustache leaves no forgetting that he once was a human being. Then there is the Cowardly lion who will probably find favour with many readers; he is a great, big, round puffball who carries himself with pride. None of Young's illustrations have taken elements from either Denslow or the movie versions, giving completely new and wonderful representations of these very well-know characters. A must read for Oz fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great graphic novel, October 17, 2011
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz graphic novel is a great one. From the entertaining retelling of the classic tale to the amazing art of Skottie Young. I highly recommend this graphic novel to those who love the Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

5.0 out of 5 stars cartoon wizard of oz, August 19, 2011
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
when thinking of buying a wizard of oz book i would totally recommend this one because it got the graphics and really good story and it follows really well to what Frank l Baum would have wanted for a marvel cartoon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and follows the original book well, January 6, 2014
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
I was browsing the library graphic novel section and found this little gem. This is a book I’ve picked up a number of times in bookstores but wasn’t quite sure I wanted to read it. It ended up being an excellent book with beautiful artwork and now I want to read all the books in this series. Right now there are five trade paperbacks total in this series.

Most people know the story of Oz. Dorothy gets whisked away by a tornado and her house lands on a Wicked Witch. In her quest to get back home she finds a Tin Man, a Scarecrow, and a Cowardly Lion. They must confront Oz the Great and Powerful. He gives them a quest to go on to destroy another Wicked Witch, which they must do if Dorothy is ever going to get home.

I read many of Frank Baum’s Oz books with my mom when I was younger. That was decades ago, so I don’t remember them completely, but I do remember them pretty well. This graphic novel does an excellent job following the first book accurately (based on my somewhat faulty memory). I really enjoyed the characterizations and depictions of Dorothy, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion a lot.

The artwork here is full color and absolutely stunning. Skottie Young does it and he does a fantastic job.

It was fun for me to revisit the story of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I enjoyed the way the graphic novel stuck to the original novel’s storyline while improving on characterization and giving the story some style. I really enjoyed how beautiful the illustration was. This is a book that can, like the original book, be enjoyed by all ages.

Overall I loved this graphic novel. It’s an excellent retelling of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz with beautiful full color illustration. I loved how this story was translated into graphic novel format while still staying true to the original story. Highly recommended to everyone and a great way to get familiar with the original story!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, May 7, 2012
Kyla Hanington (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
I adored this book, which my nine-year-old and I spent the last several days reading together. The artistry is fabulous, creating a world into which one wants to dive, and the story captures the drama and growth that made the original book so timeless. My daughter received this as a gift and I highly recommend it as something to consider not only buying for yourself but as a gift option for others. Quite luminous, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series!, September 14, 2013
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
This series was recommended to me by a staff member of Southern California Comics. I had no idea that an Oz series of books even existed. I give the entire series my highest recommendation - from 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' to 'The Road to Oz' - all are very well done. I would not limit this recommendation to any age group. If you can read, you will probably love these books. I sincerely hope that this excellent work continues until every book my Mr. Baum has been re-envisioned by the team of Eric Shanower and Skottie Young.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, July 17, 2013
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
This is an amazing adaptation of L. Frank Baum's classic. True to the book and not to the movie. Wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend all the Marvel Oz books, July 7, 2013
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
These Marvel books are great adaptations of the original books. I always can't wait for the next one to be released. The pictures are stunning and really bring Oz to life. You don't have to be a comic book fan to enjoy these. I bought the first one at my local book store, but now I pre-order them through Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars literature for my reluctant reader, April 30, 2013
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
who says reluctant readers cannot get a slice of literature?! There's a whole new genre of graphic novels coming out of which I heartily approve - this one being one of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 4, 2013
This review is from: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) (Paperback)
I love the graphic novel versions of the Oz books. The art is beautiful, and the graphic version makes these magical stories more accessible to today's children and teens.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Graphic Novel) by Skottie Young (Paperback - September 22, 2010)
Used & New from: $3.99