5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Joy
Published on January 21, 2000 by cathymarie

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wood: Back In The Day Edition
Published on June 27, 2007 by J. Jefferson

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Joy, January 21, 2000
This review is from: The Wood [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie was an absolute joy; one of the best black films I have seen in a long time. It definitely took me back to the days when all those great R&B songs were out and to my first crush and first boyfriend, etc. This movie just put together a whole bunch of good looking black people into a story that's not about violence or any kind of negativity, just pure fun; it's what life is all about for those of us who appreciate but can't fully relate to life in the hood. It was so much fun. I loved every minute of it. The story was great; the acting was convincing, the plot was realistic and it's a movie I will always think about with a huge grin on my face. Two thumbs way up in my book!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE .., March 17, 2000
Tony_Tone "Anthony Jamal Smith" (Washington, D.C., District of Columbia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
I am sure that every brother or sister can relate to this film .. When i came out the theatre from seein this film i just had a big ole smile on my face this movie is so exhiliarting.. I went to see it with three of my closes friends who i love like brothers pretty much like these guys in the film did.. Remember the school days, the silly little bets like who goin to get the girl first.. just the growing pains of being a teenager.. those were the times.. I cherish those times that why so much i cherish this film it hits so close to home.. I know every one is feeling what i say ..

3.0 out of 5 stars The Wood: Back In The Day Edition, June 27, 2007
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
So, I was in Wal-Mart looking specially for Black Snake Moan, and what do I happen to find; I guess Paramount decided to listen to the fans and put out a better version of the DVD to The Wood, than the now discontinued original printing (which I also own), and the re-release that they put out last year with still no special features. To my surprise, this new version features a commentary track with the director Rick Famuyiwa, and star Taye Diggs and Richard T. Jones. I had to buy it, along with BSM (not "BDSM"; ya'll are nasty!)Now, being that this commentary was recorded exactly eight years after the film was made, and being that The Wood is such a huge hit, you expect certain things about the production of the film, behind the scenes secrets to be told, etc. Really, the commentary doesn't touch that at all. Sure, they think back on the old times of making this movies, but really they don't discuss the movie. The other "features include a reburbished previouly unreleased featurette about the back story of the movie; and the theatrical trailer. Honestly, i still think that they could have done better byt including music videos from songs on the soundtrack (who didn't like 'Neck Uv Da Woods', the brilliant combination of Outkast and Mystikal), and the others. Sure, this release is better than the previous two, but as I mentioned before, this film means something to many people, and although I only paid $10 for the DVD, I really don't know if I got my money's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie takes you back in the days, November 7, 1999
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
This movie was good ,and funny. This movie was adout three boys growing up in engulwood california and they go though all the games we use to play the dodging gangbangers to school danceses and first time having sex and girls play hard to get. This movie is worth getting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hello 80's, February 19, 2005
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
If VH1 did a show about life in the typical middle class African American home in the 80's and its impact on music this movie would gain cult status. I love all of the actors in this one-especially Richard T Jones (Judging Amy & Soul Plane) this movie reminded me of my life growing up and I grew up in a big city! A must see for anyone who graduated in the late 80's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got wood?, April 22, 2005
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
If anyone ever wants to see a great movie then they should go to see The Wood. The wood is one of the most funny movies that I have ever seen. It is a great comedy but at the same time it is a good love story. The wood is a movie that will have you laughing and feeling all romantic at the same time. There are a number of things about this movie that makes it better than others.

If you are a person who enjoys new movies that are set in a different time settings then the wood is for you. The wood will take you back. It will have you reminiscing about your adolescent years. The wood is set in the 1980's in Inglewood California. It is about three teens who grew up at a time when gang activity was really high. Still the movie still remains to be very comedic.

The wood is such a good movie because most of the people who watch the movie can relate to it. The characters in this movie go through things that most people have gone through.

There was a line in this movie that summed up how most teenage guys think. The line was "I'll never be tide down to one woman. For the rest of my I'll be mackin and hangin."

The wood is a very good movie. It is a very good movie because it makes the watcher think about their teenage years. Most people who watch this movie can relate to it. Over all the wood is a great movie to see. I urge any person who wants to see a good movie to go and see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite movies, April 26, 2004
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
I just love this movie. I don't buy DVD's for the extras. I was so happy I could get this movie on DVD. The movie is about three men who are friends. One is getting married, and he is having second thoughts. The movie takes you through a series of flash backs. I spend time laughing at how folks dressed and wore their hair. It makes you remember when you were in junior and high school. The movie is fun. It's a movie about choices, growing up, friendship and most of all love. Loving your family, friends and the one you want to spend the rest of yoru life with. It's a fun movie to watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars African-Americans can and do succeed ... we get it!, April 12, 2006
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
It's good to see the variety of newer, unexplored subject matters that movies like these tried valiantly to portray back in 1999.

Particularly if you like the refreshing comedy angle TV shows like "Everybody Hates Chris" uses, you'll more than likely get into this movie.

"The Wood" is another buppie (Black Urban Professional)/black middle class slice of life/coming of age kind of movie.

It's decent enough with a solid story line, good acting and good writing though I'd recommend seeing 1997's Soul Food, 2000's Love & Basketball, 2002's Brown Sugar and 1997's Love Jones before watching this one.

Aside from seeing a good black movie where the focus isn't on race, violence or some grim circumstance (althouth these films do have a significant place), the only truly special moments I took away from this film were a couple of unforgettable catchphrases.

I won't give them away. Watch this and you'll know what I'm talking about when you hear them.

If you or anyone in your circle is the kind of person that's always throwin' up timeless funny movie quotes, this is another one that's got some unforgettable gems.

Other than that, unfortunately, I don't think "The Wood" will be talked about that much in say 10 years.

Nothing groundbreaking here.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, June 29, 2004
C. BULLARD "Charlene" (LANSDOWNE, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
It is so refreshing to see a African American movies where the characters are not on drugs, poor, sad and angry. Showing that is important, but showing movies with this kind of background is needed also. The Wood does exactly this as it shows friends, who generally care for one another and their life through school and into adulthood. I commend this movie because it is correct. I had so many of these experiences. I love the bully scene and hitting the girl butt, and his uncertainity of getting married. These issues are life and it was shown in a wonderful lgiht and setting. This is a must own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendship that lasts a lifetime, October 25, 2000
This review is from: The Wood (DVD)
The friendship between men in Hollywood rarely exists unless they're in combat or bringing down someone. "The Wood" proved that friends stick together through thick and thin. One of the three friends that is getting married is having wedding jitters and with a little help from his friends are reminded of their days back in junior and high school, getting girls, and first love. But they also encourage him to go on with the wedding. Marriage may have something in store for him.

The Wood