5.0 out of 5 stars Never too young to start this
My daughter is four and has had this book since she was about 10 months to a year-old. I have played it for her when she goes down for a nap and at bedtime over the years and now play them for she and my son in the van on our travels around town.
Published on February 9, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T GET FOOLED!
UPON READING THE REVIEWS I EAGERLY ANTICIPATED RECEIVING THE BOOK AND CD'S. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WHEN I ONLY RECEIVED THE BOOK. THE REVIEWS WERE VERY MISLEADING AND I BELIEVE THIS WAS BLATENT FALSE ADVERTISING SINCE THE EDITORIAL REVIEW ALSO MENTIONED THE AUDIO ASPECT OF THE PRODUCT! DON'T BE FOOLED!!!

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CD'S OR CASSESSTE TAPES WITH...
Published on August 23, 2006 by cwilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Never too young to start this, February 9, 2004
By A Customer
Even though she was too young to fully comprehend all that is on there, she REMEMBERS what she has heard and has repeated things back to me and asked questions.
I am now teaching her memory verses and she knows eight so far, one of them being John 3:16, which is pretty long for a little girl. My son is learning them as well, and knows one so far (he's two).
I highly recommend this book and the tapes/cd's that go along with it. In fact, we originally recevied this as a gift with the cassettes. We wore the cassettes out and I was fortunate to be able to get just the cd's online without having to buy a second book.
Adults could become a little annoyed at the voices used for the animation, but as the Lutheran mother above wrote, her daughter loves it. Kids are attentive to dramatic voices and would likely just ignore someone reading in a manner that would please the Lutheran mother's ears :o
It's a wonderful book for Christian parents who want to teach their children about the Bible. Everything in there is scripture, so no matter what denomination, if you believe the Bible is the infallable Word of God, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 28, 2001
This is a great book and CD combo. The book is beautifully put together, with stories from the Bible and Bible-songs, starting in Genesis and ending in Revelation. The book contains sheet music, so you could even play the songs on the piano or another musical instrument if you wanted to. Put in the CD and let your child read along in the book or follow along in the book when learning the songs. A great idea and a great gift!

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T GET FOOLED!, August 23, 2006
cwilson (Adger, Al United States) - See all my reviews

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CD'S OR CASSESSTE TAPES WITH THIS BOOK!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the second copy we bought..., September 4, 2005
Our kids (aged 4 and 2) loved this so much, we just had to buy it for friends.

My only advice is to make a copy - the kids inevitably scratch it as they enthusiastically swap the CD's.

It gives them a superb overview of the Bible.

4.0 out of 5 stars We love this children's Bible!, December 28, 2007
ChrisD (N. Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
We bought this Bible for our son when he was 18 months old and he immediately loved it. The version we bought came with the cassette tapes, and he really enjoyed listening to the stories and songs in the car. Unfortunately, he practically destroyed the pages of the Bible at that age, and it's now all taped together.
We later bought a new Bible & CD set (since our newer vehicle doesn't have a cassette player) but have kept the old one as well. Our younger son now enjoys looking at the old Bible and the older son looks at the newer Bible (since he can now take better care of it). He also takes it to church with him.
I am not too crazy about some of the songs on the CDs...some of them are fine, but others are "fluff" and rather silly-sounding. I realize that this may appeal to children, but I would prefer to have more sound, reverent music accompanying the Bible stories. We are teaching our kids hymns, too, so no harm done, I suppose. So that's the reason for 4 stars rather than 5 stars.
At any rate, I still highly recommend this Bible & CD set. From listening to the 4th CD almost daily, I discovered that my son (4yo) was able to recite, with little prompting, the first 8 pages of the New Testament! Very exciting for us!
Definitely recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Noble Effort, but Somewhat Grating to Adult Ears, August 24, 2002
By A Customer
My daughter at 4-1/2 was ready to move out of the Beginner's Bible, and I was looking for a more mature approach to Biblical knowledge. The book and audio set is beautifully produced and delivers on its promise to present the essence of the entire Bible as a read- and sing-a-long experience. It is ideal for the beginning reader to appreciate the "bookness" of the Bible instead of thinking of it as a bunch of "stories." Much better than my ancient Illustrated Children' Bible with its too-high reading level, which when I searched was still the only other whole Bible project that could be used with a pre-reader.
My daughter would certainly give it five stars. She sits and turns the pages with the text and enjoys the songs. Some of the songs are pretty nice, others don't wear well on adult ears; this is only to be expected. What drops my rating is the overly swooning style that many of the narrators chose to read their texts in. Everyone from Moses to Hosea to Jesus uses exaggerated, elongated vowels, "Goooooooood Waaaaaaants Youuuuu to Giiiiiive Up Your EEEEEEEEEvil Waaaaaaaaaays," which is *really, really* annoying, and I think gives kids a twisted example of "special Bible-style talk" that detracts from the real power and beauty of the words.
My tender, liberal ELCA Lutheran heart also cringed when I noticed "Jerry Falwell as Matthew" on the credits, but it's an unfortunate truth that this kind of project can only make money if it targets the conservative Christan community. And, let's face it, no one less conservative would dare to serve some of the un-gentle aspects of the Old Testament straight up (inevitable in the minor prophets). So if you're in the mainstream-to-left Christian community, be forewarned about this p.o.v. that's not entirely obvious from other reviews. All in all, though, it's an honest presentation of excerpts from all the books, and I don't want my daughter to grow up with a sugar-coated "children's stories" approach to her Judeo-Christian heritage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feeling Mislead, June 9, 2008
I have just received my shipment of 8 copies of this book only to discover that there is NO CD included as written in all the reviews. No where on the ad does it state "CD Sold Seperately." After having just spent $108 of our schools hard earned money on what I felt would be a wonderful classroom resource for my teachers, I feel mislead by the writeup. When looking now for the CD, it plainly states "Book Sold Seperately." How hard would it have been to add that? Upon reading further reviews, I have discovered I am not the only one feeling fooled. I will think hard before I deal with Amazon again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, November 3, 2006
This is a good product that can be used to help children learn to read while learning about the Bible. The CD set is a great compliment to it, but you need to order it separately. Great Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loooooove it!, September 15, 2006
I am a Christian school teacher and I LOVE this set! It has famous voices like Max Lucado, Rebecca St. James, Joni Eareckson Tada, Twila Paris, Steve Green, and Reggie White, to name a few! It comes with 5 CDs and a beautifully illustrated Children's Bible. There are over 100 stories and 70 songs. After many of the stories, the related songs really help the lesson to "hit home." It's great! I can't wait to get a CD player into my classroom!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Product Description, August 29, 2006
This was well-loved by my children. Some of the reviewers said it didn't come with the CDs. Well, you have to order the product that says "Audio CD" to get the book and CD. If you buy the Bible only, that is what you get. You must research your product before you buy it, so that you will purchase the correct item. Notice that the item with the CDs was more expensive that the Bible sold alone. Of course, this applies to everything we buy, not just this item. I hate to see a book get a bad rap due to buyer's mistakes, not the author's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Word and Song Bible: The Bible for Young Believers with Cassette(s)
The Word and Song Bible: The Bible for Young Believers with Cassette(s) by Stephen Elkins (Audio Cassette - Sept. 1999)
Used & New from: $2.08