|Print List Price:||$18.95|
Save $15.96 (84%)
The Word on Words Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Norman is married to artist Raejean Clark. They live on the Calcasieu River in Lake Charles, Louisiana, with their dog, The Pupster (see photos). In the first photo, Norman sits on a cypress stump that washed over their fence during the 7-foot storm surge of Hurricane Ike. Now, he no longer gets writer's block; he gets stumped!
Norman has three award-winning novels and is [no longer!] seeking a publisher for his baseball novel Switch-Pitchers, in which Hemingway smuggles twin Cuban pitchers to the United States for a shot at major-league fame. The novel's first chapter was published in Elysian Fields Quarterly as a short story titled "The Havana Home Run." BlueWater Press published the novel in February 2010; it has reached #26 in the Sports category on Amazon.com.
Norman's novel A Savage Wisdom, based on the life of the only woman executed in Louisiana's electric chair (for a 1940 Valentine's Day murder), has reached #5 in the competitive Amazon.com category "Murder & Mayhem."
Top Customer Reviews
1) You are a nerd who loves words:
2) You are a writer and want to improve your vocabulary;
3) You are preparing for an aptitude or admission exam and need that extra "umpf" to boost your score;
4) You love learning trivial factoids;
5) You plan on auditioning for "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?";
6) You never know whether to use "regardless" or "irregardless";
7) You can read it aloud while taking a road trip, assuming you aren't the driver;
8) You can obtain knowledge while performing your daily constitutional;
9) You can do something constructive while killing time in the doctor's office;
10) You are taking Dr. German's etymology class.
The author has put together a playful and fascinating collection of word origins that can be read a little here and a little there with no hurry to get to the end of the book. Take your time, and enjoy learning little known facts about the English language. If you're up to the challenge, do the quizzes and crossword puzzles at the end of each chapter. Loved it!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I liked all I could read. There are pages too small print to read.Published 14 months ago by Mary Norton
I was alittle disappointed. Most of the material I already knew and I think I found at least one mistake.Published on January 28, 2014 by mjmulgrew
I bought this on Amazon.com. I liked this book very much. The author has an interesting, engaging and conversational way of introducing differing words both/either as the main... Read morePublished on September 20, 2013 by C. S. Garcia
This book has a playfulness to it but almost too much of one. Each chapter has little quizzes and puzzles that make me feel like I'm reading a kids book. Read morePublished on January 30, 2013 by Surly Malkin
This is a most interesting little book. It's accurate, yet filled with good humor and lots of witty quotes. Read morePublished on December 26, 2012 by Ewart Tarradath
This book is one of the most entertaining, but also highly educational books I have ever had the privilege of laying my eyes upon. Read morePublished on January 16, 2012 by T. Koenig
I've had the pleasure of being a student under Dr German, and became quite curious upon learning of this book's existence.
I'm glad to have fed such curiosity.. Read more
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Vocabulary, Slang & Word Lists > Vocabulary
- Books > Test Preparation > College & High School > SAT
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Education & Teaching > Test Preparation > College & University > SAT & PSAT
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Reference > Words, Language & Grammar > Vocabulary