- Paperback: 305 pages
- Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf; 1st edition (September 28, 1993)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 067974813X
- ISBN-13: 978-0679748137
- Product Dimensions: 11.6 x 9.5 x 0.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.9 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (34 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #472,327 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
The World of Chas Addams Paperback – September 28, 1993
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Browse the complete series of "The Walking Dead" digital collections and single issues for Kindle. See all.
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
* This title includes 300 comics and 24 New Yorker covers in very large format.
* Print quality and reproduction is good; the 24 covers are color and sprinkled periodically through the book
* All these comics demonstrate Addams' grim and delightful wit
* It is important to note, however, that while the Addams family is pictured on the cover, they only comprise about 10% of the total comics. So do not be fooled into thinking this is at all focused on this one particular family unit. This is a broad survey of Addams' work not one centered on that family we all know so well.
Some of the cartoons had victimless creepy humor, like the ones suggesting the existence of mice with human organization skills. But we humans, for better or worse, can be led to laugh at evil toward victims prior to the disastrous consequences, as with Addams cartoons (unfortunately, some can laugh after the consequences too). Addams' perhaps most famous cartoon had the creepy Addams family on the roof of their haunted house getting set to pour boiling oil onto Christmas carolers at their doorstep. But the cartoon that most epitomized what Addams' humor was all about had Uncle Fester displaying a wicked smile while staring at a movie screen unseen by the reader, even though all the other attendees were crying. Because readers laugh, they are agreeing with Uncle Fester rather than the viewers, just as Addams readers see humor in bland-faced husbands and wives that imagine killing each other. Keep things simple, without graphic details and explanations, and it is funny.
Addams had skill as an artist, as a master of dark shadings and a punctilious drawer of details. His sketchings of humans tended to be plain, but the creepiness of the Addams Family was ingenious. The Hardcover Edition is also worth checking out for the introduction by Wilfred Sheed. Ironically, Sheed writes "Charlie's ghost ... should ... be spared the clumsy gropings of psychobiography" even as he sheds much light on the dark cartoonist, with respect to his childhood and other things.
And this is just a fun book to own, especially if you like to laugh or are an artist. You will get countless hours of entertainment in the cartoons here, which are really quite simple depictions of the macabre. Somehow, I imagine this book as being the one I'd take to the hospital for an overnight stay. (You could appreciate it even more on an IV drip...)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The book were in perfect condition! The only thing is that there were two bar-code stickers, one on the front cover (placed in the center!) and one on the back cover. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Johan Jakobsson
I was so psyched when I first learned my favorite movies were based on the works of a real Addams. Honestly, looking through, I can see where Disney YET AGAIN STOLE so much from... Read morePublished 7 months ago by Ms. Lead
I never new just how influential Charles Addams was untill i read this book. There are many influential comics who came from addams. Read morePublished 10 months ago by David Adams
I love Charles Addams cartoons and this was a great anthology! It's a hardback and was available in almost mint condition for a reasonable price. Read morePublished 11 months ago by HopperGuy
Amazing book, as usual for Charles Addams. Well worth the money if you enjoy his demented sense of humor like I do!Published 13 months ago by Bweis
Chas Addams is a classic artist. Dash and fantastic characters.Published 16 months ago by Aldo Costas