5.0 out of 5 stars The librarians will be happy
Published on August 31, 2010 by Jude Keck

1.0 out of 5 stars regional video protection
not happy because the version does NOT run on any Hardware ....it would be nice to get the right version or at least some hint
Published 12 months ago by jvrbanic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The librarians will be happy, August 31, 2010
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
I have checked this DVD out of the library so many times, I expected them to ask me to stop. Every one of my six children loves it. It is entertaining, but calm with no obnoxious music. I read the Beatrix Potter books to my children, but this DVD is a nice occasional treat and seems to help them make sense of the language in the books. You can put it on in the evening without overstimulating anyone. I plan to buy the other DVDs as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous BBC production which brings the stories of Beatrix Potter to life!, May 3, 2012
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
"The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends" is part of The Beatrix Potter Collection (there are three DVDs in the set) and I'd advise anyone who is contemplating buying this to consider buying the entire set (which I did). All three DVDs contain the entire series of animated features based on the stories of Beatrix Potter and produced by the BBC. The animation is faithful to Ms. Potter's illustrations and everything about this production is of superior quality.

Each episode is introduced by a beautiful score and a little segment featuring an actress portraying Ms. Potter going about her daily life, whether it be painting on top of a hill overlooking the scenic Lake District, posting mail, or back at home with her real-life bunny, Peter, sitting by the fireplace and sketching out something for a friend or relative (Ms. Potter was after all a great correspondent).

This DVD features three episodes:

The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny
The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies and Mrs. Tittlemouse
The Tale of Tom Kitten and Jemima Puddle-Duck

The episode runs 77 minutes, the aspect ratio is 4:3, is in color, and there are English subtitles for the hearing impaired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow but enjoyable, January 27, 2010
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
This 3 story dvd selection is not a fast paced adventure, it is very slow. The overall "look" and feel is very British and feminine and very much in line with Beatrix Potter. After viewing it, I was very surprised that my 3 year old boy loves watching it. Perfect for before nap or bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends: Beatrix Potter, February 6, 2009
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
Very excellent product. It was given as a gift to my mother who enjoys animated movies. I am considering purchasing another one for my own library. Beatrix Potter was such an inspiration to me. So creative. This product came in a timely manner, in good condition, and the price was reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and calm, February 1, 2011
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
This is a nice collection of three different tales, with each being about 30 minutes long. Each story starts out with a sweet lady (real action) who is writing a letter (the tale) to a child. It appears to be England in the 19th century or early 20th century. It's very calm, with nice music playing as she sits down to write the story. Then the movie transitions into the cartoon which is her story. They are all pretty cute and benign and my kids love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Painterly, December 28, 2010
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
Great music, almost haunting. The animation is just like it walked off the books. My little girl loved it at age 2 or 3. At that age, we did need to skip some of the live action scenes between the animation, and she was a bit scared of McGregor! Calm and great for quiet time. Only thing I did not especially like was the scene where the neighbor whips Peter and his son with his walking stick. Kind of old school and a little shocking to see by today's standards, but no reason to avoid the whole thing because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet stories for my small children!, April 4, 2011
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
I am not a fan of a lot of children DVDs out there but this one is one of our favorites! It begins by showing a woman with her dog painting and shows lots of animals on their walk home in the rain. The music is calming and lovely and then the story begins. I like to sit with my children and watch it together. My 2, 3, and 4 year old just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, lifelike animation and family values, August 9, 2012
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
I got this from the library expecting "immature" rendering of the story, as some cartoons are when adapted to video. I was pleased to see animals in realistic and high detail, playing true to the temperaments and quirks of their species. The gardens and woods plants were similarly well represented. The animals live in appropriate homes: Ms. Tittlemouse in a clean dry warren,the bunnies in a hill, the ducks in a farmyard.

All of the animals move realistically, mostly - the kittens have a bit of trouble standing upright, and prefer to scamper on all four! The puddle ducks waddle and "bill" things, they do not develop fingers in their wings.

The stories are told with a female narrator, who begins the tales for BBC, as if she is writing to a friend and telling her stories each time. Then the cartoon episode begins. These were a series for Tv, not one continuous movie nor steps in a series that must go in order. I like that - if I want to hear one tale, I have a complete little story beginning thru end, and it doesn't matter if I watch the rest the same day.

NOTE - some liberal minded people may be offended by these stories, because they have traditional values. They portray spanking disobedient boys by a male authority figure, women as sensitive and more emotional than males, mothers and daughters in domestic roles, boys as reckless and risk-taking while girls are quiet and responsible by comparison.

NOTE - these same qualities make conservative, traditional values minded folks very happy.

It's wholly unlike modern cartoons, which largely portray violence, sexuality, rebellion, revenge,criminal behavior, occultism, and contempt for authority. Something to do a social studies/psych project on, hmm?

Meanwhile, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done!, February 3, 2013
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
This DVD was as entertaining to the adults in the room as it was to the children. The animation is well done, and we loved the way the live action segued so easily into the animation. Small children might be frightened by Farmer McGregor -- that would be my only concern for children under the age of three or four.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story and classic DVD quality made., February 12, 2011
This review is from: The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends (DVD)
Good story and classic made.
Kids love it. They watch it again and again.
Better than fighting cartoon and make them calm and stay in peace.
Try it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends
The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends by Beatrix Potter (DVD - 2012)
$44.99