4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the intro and examples alone.
I bought this book thinking it was a primer on designing info-graphics. Blame the combination of late night browsing and one click kindle ordering. It's actually more of a `restroom reader' or whatever quaint name you use for the small pile of books that lives on your toilet. Good work colleague gift potential too.

On the kindle, the book weighs in at 481 small...
Published on April 15, 2012 by Anthony Nailer

I read through this -- actually, glanced through this within 30 minutes and was ready to get rid of it. Can't remember anything about the book 5 days later. Not worth the trouble.
Published on December 20, 2012 by Elisabeth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the intro and examples alone., April 15, 2012

On the kindle, the book weighs in at 481 small pages, with the captions for a picture occasionally being cut onto the next page. It's mildly confusing, but otherwise fine. Some of the smallest text used in the info-graphs needs zooming in to read, or at least did on my computer.

Things I liked: the book is genuinely funny in parts; light enough to blast through without feeling guilty about wasting time and actually comes with a bibliography for the various `facts' used! I also liked the introduction, but I'll come back to that later.

Things I disliked: It's a little short, as it doesn't take much time to read each info-graph. Despite an excellent start, the book does lose a little of the coherence of the sets of ideas towards the end. The result feels like the first section was written to present to the publisher, and the tail end was rushed out on a deadline.

As a student, things could always be cheaper. I don't think I'd pay $10 for this again; the bulk of it is just too similar to what you can find online for free. At $3 it'd be an absolute bargain, so maybe $4 for the kindle version? It's not like there's huge printing costs associated.

As I mentioned at the start of the review, I bought it thinking it was a primer on designing infographs. Well, it certainly provides dozens of examples. The very first section also includes a brilliant and witty introduction to the concept:

"A stealth bomber with an explosive payload of pure data. A wet willy of knowledge inserted into the eager ear."

And a brief round up of the comedic possibilities of classic graph formats. Were the authors to ever return and expand this into a textbook, I'd instantly buy it (and probably moan about the price in the review). I hope they're reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarity Ensues, December 31, 2011
Bridget (Lindstrom, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World Reduced to Infographics: From Hollywood's Life Lessons and Doomed Cities of the U.S. to Sociopathic Cats and What Your Drink Order Says About You (Paperback)
This book just came from Amazon, and I have yet to peel it from my husband's hands. He is reading it out loud to me, laughing before each page. He keeps saying, "This is the last one I am reading out loud," but has read half the book to me. It is witty, clever, hilarious and solves the world's most pressing issues all in one slim volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book - stocking stuffer?, December 8, 2011
I was really pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It's about 120 pages of charts and graphs - some of which are absurd, but all of which are funny and clever. I wouldn't call it a coffee table book - more of a bathroom read. Or something you stick on a side table for your guests to pick through. It reminds me of the kind of book my mom used to stick in my Xmas stocking. Something small and funny that isn't a deep read but that I would get a kick out of. It's a very broad spectrum - everything from a guide to Conans (O'Brien vs. the Barbarian) to the Pros and Cons of making Pro and Con lists to the Modern Ten Commandments.

Also, who knew Michael Crichton was 6'9"? Really? I had no idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars Visuals next to information is not infographics, this was poorly done, May 17, 2013
Grady (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I love infographics and have been looking through a bunch of books like this for inspiration. This one was like an introductory book for people that had never heard of them, except that the infographics it included were absolutely terrible. Mind you, some were fine and enjoyable, but most of the 'infographics' were actually just text next to an interesting image. The point of an infographic is show information visually, while this just had visuals next to information.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in size, in writing, and even in graphic information, December 20, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful randomness, December 22, 2011
JMS (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
So I barely have an attention span. Humorously labeled graphs are my equivalent of War and Peace. I really liked this little book. I intended to thumb through it, but ended up reading the whole thing standing at my kitchen counter and snickering. Great gift for anyone with a sense of humor.

2.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant time waster, but not to be confused with a serious visual stats book, November 18, 2013
Baden Eunson (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
There's some useful information here, but I was expecting something a little more solid. Some of the jokes are OK, some weak. Page breakdown on Kindle messy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 19, 2013
Mr Greg Barnett (Kurrajong, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Expected this to be showing wonderful examples of infographics. After all there are a lot of great and artistic infographics around. This was just dull and uninspiring. Wish I could get a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 6, 2014
Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull Book, November 9, 2013
Not a very interesting book and is very small in size... Also, the data in the book is pretty dull...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›