5.0 out of 5 stars You won't find this information on the Web!
Published on January 24, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much that I hadn't heard before
Published on August 2, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so much that I hadn't heard before, August 2, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Worldwide Guide to Cheap Airfares: How to Travel the World Without Breaking the Bank (Paperback)
I ordered this book with high hopes that during my school breaks, I'd be able to travel all around without missing student loan payments...nope. I felt that much of the information provided is not any great breakthrough, such as offering to be bumped to get a free flight, or signing up for a frequent flyer program. I had heard of that before reading this book, and I am not a seasoned airline traveler. Most of that information, I had read in the front section of all those "Let's Go" travel guides. The book, however, is a good resource for locating courier agencies and he does mentions some low cost domestic airlines. I read the sixth edition, which is a bit outdated- it mentions Valujet as one of the low-cost airlines and many of the travel agencies the author recommended in my area are no longer in operation. I'm hoping that the seventh edition will provide more resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't find this information on the Web!, January 24, 2001
By A Customer
This very useful and tightly written guide explores every aspect of cheap travel, including flight consolidators, couriers, and charters. It's the first book I've ever seen that explains the complex business of airline ticket pricing and arms you with knowledge that lets you beat the airlines at their own game. If you're adventurous and super thrifty, you can even learn how to fly for free!
There's a huge listing of airfare discounters and other dirt-cheap travel resources, arranged by hub city. McColl provides a mini-guide for each locale, along with tips on low-cost meals and lodging, recommended stopovers, and offbeat sights to see. This isn't your standard travel faire, either -- the travel writing is as witty and down-to-earth as any Lonely Planet or Moon-series guide.
Do not--repeat--do not think you can find all this stuff on the Internet.
I know of no site or group of sites that can provide so many low-cost travel airfare strategies in one quick and easy reference. It's a good read -- and it will definitely save you money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Every Traveler!, November 20, 2000
I wish I had a copy of this book seven years ago when I went to Denmark. It was my first time out of the USA. This book would have not only explained options to me that I didn't know I had, but also would have saved me a ton of money. It is simple to understand and I like the fact that it list not only different airlines and options, but prices as well. I can see why this book has been printed so many times as the information it contains is so beneficial to everyone. Anyone who travels should possess this informative book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, witty and concise!, July 16, 1999
By A Customer
If you are into to hopping around the country or the globe then this book will save you hundreds of dollars. Before I bought this book I was ready to plunk down a few thousand for a round-the-world ticket. I only spent a little more than $1000 to buy a RTWticket.
The author writes in a sometimes humourous, down-to-earth style that is loaded with simple tips to help you save.. You'll learn about common airline scams and how to avoid them. I checked out his competitor's books and this is much better since it gives you various strategies for finding great deals.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved me over $400 on my first trip, March 20, 2001
Carrie Davidson (San Francisco, USA) - See all my reviews
I just got back from an unbelievable trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. My flight from the USA to Singapore was only $400 round trip. The airlines were charging between $800 and $2000. I stayed in Southeast Asia for an extra month on the money I saved.
I recommend this book for people who want to travel more, but need a good deal in order to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really helps!, December 15, 2000
Martin (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be a big help. It gave me more than travel tips. Its real value comes from the author's ability to give the reader an idea on how the travel industry works. Sure, there are the tried and true strategies (i.e., getting bumped) but there are other angles recommended by the author that are less obvious and of great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to worldwide airline consolidators, September 30, 1998
By A Customer
This book paid for itself the first time I used it. McColl lists travel agents and consolidators around the world, classified by specialty. You can save lots of money buying tickets for overseas travel from overseas agents, and this book will tell you how.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Advice for Cheap Flights!, July 31, 2000
Brad Olsen (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
As a travel author myself, I appreciate good writing on the subject. I find McColl's book a must-have, as I continue to use it on a near monthly basis. This information is indispensable, especially if your are a budget-conscious traveler like myself. Author of: "World Stompers," "In Search of Adventure," and "Sacred Places" -- all Amazon.com favorites!

1.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old, November 17, 2000
By A Customer
If you have read one article on cheap travel you have already read this book. Don't waste your money, you can get the exact same information on the internet.

Used & New from: $0.01