Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 13, 2013
I like to do Bob Klahn puzzles in the Washington Post and a few other places. They are tough and challenging. This is a bit overboard for me. First, they are theme-less. Ergo all the major clues/answers are randomly all over the map. And did I mention very tough too? It is easier for him to develop an extremely hard puzzle that doesn't have to follow a theme than to be a bit fairer and lead the solver down a logical trail of answers.

BK is the master at odd clues such that when you solve you say ah-ha. (He sells you on that point in his introduction... enjoying those ah-ha moments.) Well this is a collection of them, with some even a bit overboard and almost indefensible as to their validity. I also bought some Merl Reagle Sunday puzzle books on this order, and while definitely a challenge to solve, they are way more enjoyable than this. I work the Sunday NYT, WP, SFE, LA Times and more to decent success (anything less than 5 or 6 open squares is a failure) and I'm sure there are some who can do this cover to cover, but I suspect the number is a very small percentage of daily solvers. Let me know if you're one of those in the elite status!!
on October 1, 2011
These puzzles require a little more thought than the average puzzle. I like a challenge, and would consider these difficult but enjoyable. I consider the Sunday New York Times puzzle hard but not impossible, and these are on that level.
on November 7, 2012
My wife and I used to avoid Bob Klahn's crosswords that appear in the Washington Post. We had trouble with them. But over the years, we have now switched to loving his puzzles because he is SO SO creative. He actually makes me chuckle or smile when I figure out/translate his clues. I think we have actually readjusted our mind sets to better think like Bob Klahn. Ergo, we ordered this book and take it with us on all our trips. You might see us working with the book on a plane. Thanks Bob for all your enjoyment.
on April 30, 2010
This is a good collection of reasonably hard puzzles, with some clever clues. They're not as challenging as those in "Mensa Crosswords For The Super Smart", or "The New York Times Ferocious Crosswords", but they still provide a decent workout.
on April 20, 2010
Bob Klahn is an excellent puzzle creator. All of these are difficult enough to be very entertaining, but none are impossible. I recommend it for people who like tough, interesting puzzles!
on April 22, 2010
Klahn is an experienced crossword constructor, and it shows in this collection of 72 themeless 15 by 15 puzzles. I wanted hard puzzles, and these are that.
on December 18, 2012
These are difficult but well constructed themeless crosswords. The best crossword puzzles are challenging but fair ... meaning that there is a minimum of obscure answers, and the difficulty is due to the clever clues. And that's why these puzzles are so well crafted. Kudos to Bob Klahn!
on July 22, 2013
Our favorite! Challenging but fair. Straightforward puzzles with no tricks, no themes. The clues are difficult without resorting to open ended questions like Hot____ or other cheap shots.
on May 30, 2016
Twisters created by a twisted mind....But fun to untangle.You have to get into Klahn's way of thinking or you are doomed. Always a challenge!
on April 23, 2016
great fun and a real challenge