Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th
Customer Discussions > Clockwork Angels forum

The Wreckers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 2:39:27 PM PDT
Best chorus in a Rush song in years? Very melodic and Geddy's voice sounds so good.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 3:05:28 PM PDT
RegF says:
After HEAD LONG FLIGHT goes away , The Wreckers , is the next single off C.A.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 3:11:00 PM PDT
I'm laughing because some here say there is nothing memorable on CA, yet I can't get several of the songs out of my head, lol.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 3:24:06 PM PDT
Otis Thecat says:
The Wreckers is one of the songs that I heard a few times and all of a sudden it became one of my favorites on CA - perhaps, maybe my favorite. Great song!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:33:51 PM PDT
RegF says:
It is a great album , isn't it.? It is addictive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:04:13 PM PDT
I wonder how many of the 1 star reviewers like the album now.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 8:52:33 AM PDT
Depends on whether they actually had the patience and maturity to listen to it more!

Ok, little problem I've had with the Wreckers for awhile, great song, but isn't some (most) of the melody too upbeat/cheerful for the dark lyrics? I mean the whole theme of the song is very dark, disturbingly so. But much of the melody sounds like a typical mid paced rocker that could of fit many types of lyrical content, none especially dark. The music doesn't match the lyrics except from the 2:40 mark to the 3:40 mark where it takes a dark turn.

I just can't see the fit, it seems incongruent, but maybe it's me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:20:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 11:22:32 AM PDT
RegF says:
213... 5 / Star reviews [so far]. And , lets not forget all of those HELPFUL votes , too.

Who cares about the 1 Star reviews , any more? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 3:25:51 PM PDT
emg guy says:
AE, I know exactly what you mean, because I thought that. At first. But now I totally think it works. And the reason it works is because this is a concept album. And I find the underlying message of the album is very positive. That in spite of things often going completely wrong in life, being betrayed by what you thought was true, one can still believe and have a positive purposeful and meaningful life. So much so, that even though life can really suck, you can "wish that you could live it all again." Especially if you are willing to forgive, love, and respect. So underlying the gloom of events is this sense that through our free wills we can overcome. And that's what this song is leading to. The lyrics acknowledge the irony and despair, the melody hints to the hope that is to come. At least for me. Neil is an amazing person. He's not going to deny the negative events in life, but he isn't going to succumb and feel sorry for himself either. And I think Alex and Geddy capture that feeling with the music perfectly.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 11:20:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 11:25:53 PM PDT
EMG: Great post, thank you! I think you have enlightened me. :) I especially like this part of your explanation: "The lyrics acknowledge the irony and despair, the melody hints to the hope that is to come." Yes, that explains the issue I was having, without explaining it away. I also think that the melody, over time, has become darker to me so it fits more with the lyrical content than I had thought. But the "cheery" sound that still remains fits perfectly with your explanation.

I also will add that the lyric "Salvation in a human chain" is an important one, in that, through the strength of others and the meaningful and fulfilling human relationships we experience and enjoy we can find "salvation" amidst the chaos, injustice, and suffering/sorrow/pain of and in life we all, eventually, must endure on one level or another. Staying attached to the "human chain"; believing and having faith in humanity in general and our own personal relationships in particular no matter how compelling the evidence against such belief may be, can lead us to "salvation" irregardless of how lost and depressed we become when faced with the various vicissitudes and trials life inevitably confronts us all with.

I will say that I did consider the song within the whole context of the album (which you surmised nicely) as I have every song, but I still had a problem with it because standing alone, as Geddy has stressed over and over that each song must do, it didn't quite work for me. So although it did cohere with the overall theme of the album and was thus successful in that sense, I was kind of disappointed that it didn't stand up to scrutiny on its own merit taken apart from the whole. Now, however, I think it does!

Ah, the lyrical and musical cleverness of Rush!

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 4:29:07 PM PDT
CQ DX says:
'The Wreckers' is the only 'standout' song on the 'album' IMHO. It's got melody and emotion, with great hooks.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 1:42:43 PM PDT
that is the beauty of Rush. you get something new every time you listen to it.
It is a musical sojourn and not for the ADD mind set.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 10:09:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 10:10:22 PM PDT
JKat says:
Yeah "The Wreckers" is memoriable, but that doesn't make it good. Just like TV commericals and pop songs are memoriable because they are catchy jingles. I think the chorus is annoying. It's one of the worst Rush songs I've ever heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 4:44:52 AM PDT
RegF says:
lol...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Clockwork Angels forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Clockwork Angels
Clockwork Angels by Rush (Audio CD - 2012)
4.4 out of 5 stars (840)