Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 15, 2015
A decent translation. I'd prefer more in depth and clearer descriptions. Also, she often repeats Sanskrit terms without re-defining it for the reader, which means thumbing back through the text to translate what it means.
on January 1, 2015
Wow! What a life changing book. I wish everyone received this book when they were born and had to study it and make it a part of their life from the beginning. Our world would be much different. I can't say enough good things about this book, except make it a part of your life and read it immediately!
on August 30, 2013
The first things that yoga teachers learn in their training is that yoga has 8 limbs: yama, niyama, asana, pranayama, pratayahara, dharana, dhayana and samadhi. Most people practice asana - physical aspect of yoga (there are many kinds: Hatha, Vinyasa, Bikram, Kundalini to name a few). However, Yama and Niyama are tenants of yoga that were defined more than 3,000 years ago.Each limb (Yama and Niyama) has 5 subcategories. I like to call them yogic 10 commandments. They desribe ethical behaviors of yogis. I read many yoga books and they are mentioned in each one. Author Deborah Adele has written a book that surpases them all. Her entire book describes in detail each one of them an provides modern day examples of how to apply them to every day life. Not only that, after each yama and niyama is discussed, she offers a monthly practice where one can use journaling, reflection and other methods so one can experience the power of each.

So far this is one of the most comprehensive books that explains yamas and niyamas. If I had to make recommendations to yoga teachers and students on how to learn more about these limbs, this book would be the first one i would mention to them. I am currently studying to be a yoga teacher and I have used this book for supplemental reading. I intend to keep it with me and carry it always. It has the most amazing examples and quotations from both eastern and western thinkers and intellectuals. This is a kind of life I want to live and ideally I would like to surround myself with people who practice the same rules of ethics.
on March 7, 2015
This book is the perfect addition to my practice of Yoga. Yoga classes focusing on two limbs (Asanas and Pranayama) of the Yoga Sutras of Pantanjali are easy to come by in any town or gym. However, the first two limbs of Yoga are foundational to all yogic thought and practice. These teachings are not always so readily available at a local yoga asana class. The ethical disciplines of the Yamas and Niyams are truely gems of ancient wisdom that help give direction to lead a balanced, thoughtful life.

This book is beautifully written and easy to comprehend. After reading the first chapter, I was so inspired that I ordered five more copies to donate to my local yoga studio for students to borrow. I hope to continue to bring these principles to my practice of yoga on and off the mat.
on November 25, 2015
Second time I've bought this book. Fantastic and humble writing by the author. I read this book section by section throughout each week. I constantly share from this book in the Yoga classes that I teach as well.
on December 15, 2015
This is one of the most enriching books on the yamas and niyamas that I have read. If you want to go deeper into the totality of yoga practice - beyond the asana, I strongly encourage you to buy this book. I am a full-time attorney and a part-time yoga teacher (I teach once per week). This book is very insightful and moves you closer to your best self.
on January 30, 2015
Very good book. The part I took away from it was in supporting my compassion for others in a healthier way. I do not need to own another's pain and suffering to the point I am hurting myself in being there for them. It helped me to bring my awareness to this 'boundary' or such. I appreciated the insights in managing my own sensitivity to others in my world.
on May 19, 2015
I have had 2 copies of this book. I refer to it almost daily. I quote Deborah Adele (author) in almost every class that I teach. It's relatable. Easy to apply and comprehend to daily life. It is by far one of the best books I have ever read and my favorite yoga philosophy book.
on October 29, 2015
A very approachable book about some of the most important practices understood by the great Yogis. I find this applicable to how I practice Hatha Yoga and meditation. You'll appreciate the time you spend with it.
on June 24, 2016
I had to buy this book for yoga training, and I have bought several copies since for others. It is so inspiring and relevant to every day life and situations, and easy to read. Can't recommend enough!