5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album

Published on November 18, 2011 by Seth Mcarron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album, September 29, 2011
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Audio CD)
This album is just an amazing listening experience. This is one of the first few albums that has really connected with me emotionally, combining catchy melodies with melancholy lyrics soaked in reverb. Pretty much the entire album is made up of songs that gradually build. At first I was worried this would get old, but each song is so powerful and well done, it feels totally natural. I highly recommend the CD, cassette, or vinyl versions of this because they come with a download of the entire album plus the songs Bobby, which is my favorite Youth Lagoon song, and Ghost to Me, which is also pretty good. If you want to hear one of the most amazing indie albums of the last few years, you should check this out.

4.0 out of 5 stars winsome, electronic-flavored indie pop, October 5, 2011
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Audio CD)
Boise, Idaho artist Trevor Powers' debut release of winsome, electronic-flavored indie pop with a
compellingly chilled psychedelic vibe and an emotional, slow-building approach that maintains a
solid grip on the melodic hook. The songs carry a subtle, bouncy, childlike buoyancy that perfect-
ly tempers the fragile, eerie, hauntingly confessional aura of sound. Like a mix of Postal Service,
Mercury Rev, Broken Social Scene, Deerhunter, Death Cab For Cutie, Sparklehorse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melacholia Perfection, October 1, 2011
1st star - The way it was recorded. Vocals in particular
2nd star - That voice
3rd star - The syncopation between the vocals and the music
4th star - Pacing of the album. It takes its time but soars higher than high when it wants to
5th star - Lyrically it is fed up but hopeful which matches the music to a t

Deserves every star

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Chill album, April 19, 2013
The Best Out West (West of the Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Audio CD)
I worked with his mom who asked me to listen to the album. I thought "Ah, another proud parent" and gave it a listen. I was very surprised and ended up buying a copy. I listen to it quite a bit still, and still enjoy it just as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums In The Past Decade, January 31, 2013
Anthony DeVoe (Simi Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best albums in the last ten years, easily. Very unique sound, and it's raw nature is as emotionally bare as a person can be. It's honest, thought provoking and intense. Incredibly moving, and I consider Mr. Powers a blessing to the rest of us. I'm thankful that he chose to open his soul to us in the form of these ten musical tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey into a Mystical Sonic Landscape, December 22, 2011
A single disembodied voice, distorted, there but not there, leads us deeper and deeper into a world with increasingly complex sonic textures and sounds. The voice is close but we never quite catch up to it, are never quite able to see our guide through this mysterious landscape. We pursue our guide only to find sweeping vistas of crescendo and elation.

Each song opens a new world for our discovery. Repeated trips are rewarded by a greater appreciation for the richness and detail created by a single mind and a few electronic gadgets. Youth Lagoon offers an opportunity to leave our mundane world and spend a half-hour or so exploring his sonic landscape. Take him up on his offer. You will be happy that you made the trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Year of Hibernation, November 18, 2011
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Audio CD)
This is what I expect the 90's indie kids were anticipating the scene would sound like in 2011. Lots of reverb, frail vocal deliveries, chant-alongs, jangling chamber pop guitars and drum machines. On paper it doesn't much sound anything like the indie music scene of the 90's, but when you pop the thing on, you really feel a raw essence of indie rock presented in a new way. This dude has a fairly unique sound, but there are a few fundamental flaws on this album. As melodically driven as the record is, not many of the melodies stick to memory. The listener is often reminded of the overall atmosphere or sound of the record rather than the songs themselves. I like the overall sound and style of the record however I feel many if not all the tracks are far too underdeveloped to warrant repeated listening. However it is a debut, and I am eager to see what Youth Lagoon does next given the promising foundation set forth here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Year of Hibernation Vinyl, November 9, 2011
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Vinyl)
So this album is very good! You can read about that in other reviews I am gonna focus on the vinyl packaging.
The vinyl packaging come's with the mp3's, and a 7'inch bonus record the mp3 comes with 10 songs including the
ones on the 7'inch. I really like the packaging itself the vinyl record itself is not 180 gram,but you get the
mp3's of the whole album and the 7 inch. For the price that is better then most new bands that are putting their
albums out on vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical Dream, May 9, 2014
This review is from: The Year Of Hibernation (Audio CD)
This music seems to come from a place ... so unexpected. It fits in no category or genre although it is close to chill wave or ... or what? I just don't know. The songs from Year of Hibernation will never go viral or make an enormous splash in pop culture, but these songs are not for those who follow trends anyway. As a whole the entire album is like a pleasant daydream with glimpses into the past. Two songs on the album, July and Daydream, are perfect examples of this blend of feelings. Lyrics for July sing "While five years ago I wept and no one knew" and Daydream is, well, a song about daydreams and thinking "happy thoughts."
Year of Hibernation is absolutely memorable. I sing along like a child. This music can be played ear splitting loud or quietly. You will find yourself drawn into this music in the same way that a black hole absorbs light. There is no escape from the perfectly timed guitar and synthesizer riffs. The listener will be swept over the event horizon into a place that is truly rare and magical. OK, no more Cosmos references, just listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time with Youth Lagoon, no regrets!, April 2, 2014
I took a gamble when purchasing this album since I knew very little about Youth Lagoon. And I was pleasantly surprised! I still don't know much about the band itself, but I definitely dig their beats! They use a lot of fun percussion that layer into the song giving it more depth. Initially I thought I'd be bored with the slower beats and melancholy singing, but after listening to it a few times through I have developed a finer appreciation for their simplistic sound. I definitely would suggest this album to anyone looking for some chill background music.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Year Of Hibernation
The Year Of Hibernation by Youth Lagoon (Audio CD - 2011)