Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 3, 2002
This has been a favorite book of ours for years and years and years. "The Year at Maple Hill Farm" is written and illustrated by Alice and Martin Provenson. It documents, from January through December, the hard tasks and simple pleasures inherent in life on a farm--everything from bird migrations to the foaling of the horses to lazy summer days spent doing nothing more important swatting flies.
Humans and animals co-exist peacefully here. The illustrations are simple and gently colored, with subtle detail sprinkled throughout. The animals are given a great deal of personality (see especially the cats, who are wonderfully quirky) and the story itself, while utterly basic and free of frills, has an undertow of narrative propulsion that makes each page seem a natural outgrowth of the previous page.
I can't recommend the book highly enough. If you live in the country, you will recognize so much of what is here. If you live in the city, you will welcome the peaceful rhythms of this charming book.
on September 21, 2006
I just bought this book for a gift, and seeing it on Amazon's website makes me want to go find it on my daughter's bookshelf, and read it myself. And I'm 43!

What a sweet, beautiful, educational, pleasure of a book. It's a great size with gorgeous illustrations. The text is fun to read and fun for a child to listen to, and the whole book is non-fiction and very educational. The perfect combination of a book. I just love it and love to give it! It just bounces and is very engaging. You'll want to read it every season for years.

Enjoy!
on June 16, 2007
We got this book as a companion to 'Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm'. I have to say, I love 'Our Animal Friends' best, but this is also a great book. I like it as a companion to Our Animal Friends. The book goes through the months of the year, and what happens with the animals in each month. Humorous and interresting for our 3 and 7 year olds.
on August 20, 2015
I was so happy to find another of these Provensen books! Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm is my absolute favorite but this book is fantastic, too. It takes you through a year on the farm. Animal Friends is longer, fyi. I loved this one!!
on June 18, 2015
Loved "Maple Hill Farm" as a kid. Translates pretty well into today, although you can tell these were written quite some time ago. Still, I appreciate the clear, concise sentences and the feeling of hearing these stories from an entertaining neighbor.
on April 28, 2016
This is such a beautifully written book. I love it. I used to read it to my kids back in the 80s and 90s as they were growing up and so I had to get one for my grands; and they love it too. Great simple book to read that sparks imagination and provides tons of interesting and detailed pictures to add to the story time and conversations afterwards. My kids used to love to just talk about the pictures, and there is plenty of content for you to ask them to find this or that on the page, or spark conversations and stir up their interest about animals, farm life, nature and the seasons.
on December 31, 2015
Our family has a new favorite author! We were introduced with its companion book, "The Animals at Maple Hill Farm". It was a homeschool curriculum recommended book for preschool and we fell in love instantly.

The illustrations and writing style are right up our alley. The hilarious antics of the animals, and variety of illustrations just capture our attention. My 3 year old loves this book, and I do too.

I would definitely say this book appeals to a wide range of ages.
on October 6, 2015
This is such a beautiful little book. The illustrations are full of detail and the text is full of great information. We live in the Midwest and are surrounded by family farms. This little book makes us yearn for one of our own. :)
on December 13, 2011
My children loved this book years ago. The illustrations are wonderful; the writer has a strange sense of humor in some of the comments. I wanted to introduce my grandkids to this book and it seems my grandson (almost 3) had already discovered this book at the library and really liked it. I am giving this book as a special Christmas gift to him so he can read it as often as he would like!
on January 21, 2015
Such a beautiful book! My children loved this month by month chronicle of the people and animals on a New England farm. It is realistic and yet idyllic with quite a bit of sweet humor communicated through the charming illustrations. My grandson sees his rooks in palm trees and has yet to see a snowflake. The book his dad and auntie adored as frequent visitors to the Audubon Society's Drumlin Farm, enchants him with its near magical winter scenery.