4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant tale that captures the essence of growing up.
Published on October 2, 2000 by K.Puccetti

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie - pity about the transfer.
The previous reviews have said all that I wanted to say except that this is one of my favourite movies and normally I would give it 5 stars. I live approx. 50km from where it was filmed and it shows the beauty of my little corner of the world perfectly.
Published on April 2, 2000 by M. D. Dawson

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie - pity about the transfer., April 2, 2000
M. D. Dawson (Gordon, ACT Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year My Voice Broke (DVD)
However I was very disappointed with the DVD transfer which is the worst I have ever seen. All movement in the film results in a mass of mpeg artifacts which reduces the image resolution to sub-VHS quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant tale that captures the essence of growing up., October 2, 2000
K.Puccetti (Deloraine, Tasmania, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year My Voice Broke (DVD)
How easy it is to forget, the often awkward and sometimes painful moments we endure, in making the transistion from childhood to adulthood. "The year my voice broke", does a wonderful job of rekindling those feelings, while at the same time adding dashes of good Aussie humour, which keeps the mood from being too sombre. The setting, in a sleepy Australian country town, where the street lamps attract hundreds of circling insects at night, adds much to the atmosphere, as does the wonderful, haunting musical score. This is one of my all-time favorite Australian films. The only note of disappointment for me, was the DVD transfer itself, which is not much better than your average video. However, given that this is a relatively unknown film outside Australia, I guess I'm happy that it made the transfer to DVD at all. Acting by the entire cast is quite believable, though not polished in the typical Hollywood style. In particular, through the lead role of Danny, touchingly portayed by Noah Taylor, I was drawn into the turbulent, and bittersweet ordeals of his emerging adolescence. I've watching "The year my voice broke" many times, yet I still find it a moving, satisfying experience, that leaves me feeling reflective even after the credits have finished. Highly recommended for teenagers and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A romance that will stay with you, February 11, 2000
David Fierro (San Anselmo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year My Voice Broke (DVD)
This is a beautiful underrated film that is a delicate tale of first love. Buy it and be escorted away to another time. Other John Duigan movies tend to miss the mark, but this one hits it dead on, establishing mood and a heart with it's script and filmmaking. Finally, watch it with someone you love!

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be an instant addition to the Criterion collection..., December 30, 2009
"The Year My Voice Broke" is one of those unknown, quintessential diamond-in-the-rough films that can't seem to find its way into the DVD market, but breaths Criterion throughout the entire viewing. The daring, honest, and descriptive story of a young boy, his love for this older girl, and the tribulations of growing up in a small town are merely scratching the surface to what this film has to offer. It speaks, and pays homage, to those classic films from the late 40s, early 50s by creating a town with character, mythology, and individuality. One could argue that the town in which this film takes place is our fourth character, behind Danny, Freya, and Trevor - but perhaps this enthusiast is getting ahead of himself. Watching this import on a used VHS, the picture was grainy, the player made noise, and the sound was utterly destructive - yet the heart of this film oozed from the screen. The power of the characters, the detail of our story, and the truth in director/screenwriter John Duigan's words went from having meaning in a 1987 film (that was supposed to take place in 1962) to creating a story that didn't feel dated or old watching it today, at the end of 2009. That is the legacy of "The Year My Voice Broke", the raw emotion harassed in this film continues to be relevant today - perhaps even more. As Hollywood uses every CGI possible to recreate the same effect, all one needs to do is look back at films that used the old-fashioned method...great actors, a daring script, and a background that could knock your socks off.

To applaud this film, one would need to pat the back of a very young, a very talented, Noah Taylor. Taking on not just an awkward role, he needed to show his anger, his teenage frustration, as well as his headiness for brains instead of brawn. Noah Taylor, known to me as Technical Support in "Vanilla Sky", succeeded gracefully and with the power of most of our top paid American stars. His ability to show us his unconditional love for Freya, his quizzical hatred for Trevor, as well as his sleuthing skills proved that this kid was ready for anything. His co-workers inhabiting each scene worked with his dynamic and equally pushed their talents. Freya, played by Loene Coleman, a newbie to the screen, was enchanting as the love interest. While she wasn't quite the level of Mr. Taylor, her ability to carry her scenes worked. She was the classical bad-girl-next-door with secrets. Her chemistry with Taylor kept me glued to the screen. The same can be said for Trevor, played by Ben Mendelsohn, who's diabolical, nearly irritating, laugh created a character all his own. As the wildcard, we never knew what he was going to do next, and both our characters and our audience were scared of that. To demonstrate the intensity of these actors, watch closely the scene in which they spend the night in the "haunted" house near the railroad tracks. Each one has a motive, each actor/character delivers their emotion, and with each line the scene gets more and more powerful. I wasn't expecting this with children so young.

With these three dominate characters; one may ask what else would be needed for an independent film to succeed? One more, the town. As mentioned before, the town that these three (and many others) reside is reminiscent of our American "Bedford Falls". There are residents that have been their all their lives and secrets many of them keep to protect their town. Throughout the film, our characters are continually building their moments via smaller lives within the town. We learn about Danny's passion for the black arts, that Trevor knows the police firsthand, and that Freya's unknown secret keeps the town at bay. Without the closeness of this town, "The Year My Voice Broke" wouldn't have worked. If filmed in a bigger city, the intimate feeling of a protective yet destructive town would have floundered. The town drunk would have been less poignant, Danny's dad's role would have felt less personal, and the idea of home being safe would have felt less comforting. The town had to be a character in this film. Duigan knew it, developed it, and built it strongly into his film.

This was a character driven film. Without Noah Taylor, Loene Coleman, or Ben Mendelsohn, this film would have failed. It is hard to imagine anyone else being able to carry these characters, or that an American reality would pack as much of a punch. It was impressive to see Australia in 1962, a place we don't explore in cinema enough over past centuries. Director Duigan, if I haven't already drooled over him enough, understood this film, wrote a genuine story, and built a cinematic triumph. Alas, this film has been forgotten, but look closely at the cinematography, the lavish landscapes, the devotion of our characters, the above mentioned town - these all could not have been accomplished without a passionate eye. I applaud Duigan for his talent and ability to transform this 1980s film into a universally emotional and exciting moment of cinema.

VIDEO: For a VHS film, there was everything you wanted. Grainy video, choppy sound, and possible missed frames. As a movie, "The Year My Voice Broke" was outstanding. As a near perfect film, our director as well as our cast, worked diligently to provide everything an award winning film should. From elaborate long shots to detailed characters, this is a film to discover and watch no matter which format is ends up. VHS is not the death of this movie.

VISUAL: Duigan's cinematography is great. He gives us these sweeping shots of Australia showing us the vastness of the time, but then brings it in close to allow our story to come home. His camera shots are perfect, giving us just enough - and isn't afraid to bring contrasts to the screen. His dark shots are the right tone (despite VHS) of being able to see the action as well as providing that sense of uncertainty.

SOUND: Using 1960s Australia music as well as Western influx (i.e. movies shows and music heard), he makes this more than just an AU film, but garnishing universal appeal. I didn't feel like I was in this little town, but instead building upon my own past memories and experiences. That is a difficult thing to do with a VHS made in the 80s.

EXTRAS: The only failing part of this film. With any VHS, there is nothing. There were a couple of previews before hand for action films, not quite understanding how these fit with the rest of the film, but didn't matter. It was bare-boned, thus my hastiness to say that "Criterion" may benefit by having this film in their collection.

Overall, I have said enough. I loved this movie. It was detailed, emotional, and beautiful. Everyone, from director to actors performed superbly. It was a rough couple of prior films, but "The Year My Voice Broke" provided that classic niche. It felt fresh and new, despite the age. I recommend this to everyone. Buy a VHS player and get a copy of this movie, you will not be disappointed.

Grade: **** 1/2 out of *****

4.0 out of 5 stars A rural tragedy, January 20, 2002
Tom Munro "tomfrombrunswick" (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year My Voice Broke (DVD)
This a pleasant and moving little film. Its strong points are the sence of place and the landscape. The sountrack is the Lark Ascending by Vaughn Williams. Although English music it captures the feel of the Australian country side wonderfully.
The hero of the film is a young boy of 15 who fall in love with an older girl from a poorer family. She is involved with an older kid who is always getting into trouble. The 15 year old watches the tragedy which unfolds from a distance. Around him live adults who have lived damaged lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice mix of genres, October 6, 2011
Fuzzmello (Norman, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Year My Voice Broke (DVD)
I saw The Year My Voice Broke at a friends insistence. I'm glad I did. I discovered it to be a genuine set piece which mixed so genres it was difficult to pick them out. After watching it, I wish Nick Raye had been able to add an overt sexual understory to Rebel Without A Cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movie, March 20, 2014
Dana Carlson (grand jct. co. usa) - See all my reviews
this coming of age shows what a young man goes through when he falls in love and the conflict of friendship that goes with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, September 18, 2005
Quick shipping and excellent item. Thank you very much for the movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleepy Country Town Story: Australia, May 12, 2009
A nice photo shoot of sex-oversaturated kidulthood 16y.o. Danny the Schoolboy Hopeless Lover experienced in 1962, growing up in a sleepy usual country town of Australia's New South Wales.

Rather chronicle of adrenaline-rushed gender awakening, this story is nice presented and young actors play love-triangle naturally.

Also it was not easy to figure out any town secret promised with the DVD jacket description, feature itself is lyric, humoristic and alarming for screening cruelty and sadist inclinations of teen Aussies doing bad even not for fun but simply customarily.

Bigger shrift would technically contribute to a better arrangement of commands and extras.

The Year My Voice Broke [Region 4]