5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Time Travel Book Ever!
Published on September 27, 2004 by Cynthia Sue Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars A Repetition of Themes From Previous Wolf Books
Published on May 17, 2008 by William Hammett

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Time Travel Book Ever!, September 27, 2004
This review is from: The Yoga of Time Travel: How the Mind Can Defeat Time (Paperback)
You can't find a more fascinating and delightful book about the nature of time and reality than Fred Alan Wolf's YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL! Chapter One alone is more than worth the price of the book, as it describes how a yoga adept can overcome the five barriers to reaching the state of egoless mind... which is what Wolf explains one needs to do in order to travel through time without a time travel device. THE YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL shares a compelling vision of the nature of time travel by combining essential elements from yoga and physics with extraordinary clarity. Wolf provides readers with the perfect blend of warmth, wit, and scientific detail for readers to grasp such physical concepts as possibility waves, probability waves and qubits. THE YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL is so provocative that you'll want to read it more than once to comprehend the wonderful world of time travel!

I was delighted to see how Wolf explains how the so-called time travel paradoxes such as the "creativity paradox" and the "grandfather paradox" can be completely resolved when considered in the context of parallel universes. Wolf explains how time travel is no longer relegated to science fiction, but is instead required by current models of the physical world, which moves the burden of proof from defending the possibility of time travel to proving there is any kind of law forbidding it.

THE YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL is surely destined to become a classic, as it covers a topic that has never before been addressed with such insight and elegance. I give this book my highest recommendation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Travel., December 18, 2006
Scott Knudsen (Air Ronge, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
The Yoga of Time Travel is written clear enough for anyone to understand, and will answer most of your questions pertaining to time travel. Once the author explains to you the science and it's limits, when it comes building a time travel machine, he will show you the metaphysical side of time travel.

There is no way a book on time travel will satisfy everyone's beliefs. Quantum Physics can only explain so much, and when one starts to write about the spiritual side of time travel, there are just too many beliefs to be able to use the right words to keep everyone happy. In other words, read the book and enjoy the book.

Naturally there will be books that go more deeply into Quantum Physics and books that go more deeply into Yoga but this is not what the author is trying to do. He is giving the reader a clear look at where science and metaphysics is at when it comes to time travel. So do like I did, and enjoy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Repetition of Themes From Previous Wolf Books, May 17, 2008
The title is far more provocative than the book. Most of the discussion centers on aspects of quantum physics that Wolf has written about multiple times now. If you've read his excellent PARALLEL UNIVERSES, for example, you've already assimilated much of what THE YOGA OF TIME TRAVEL has to say. Discussions of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, parallel universes, space-time, and the communication between past, present, and future have already been covered in several of Wolf's books. If you are already familiar with such concepts, you don't need 150 pages of background and foundation for what, in the long run, amounts to a very short discussion of mental time travel and its usefulness in improving our lives.

Wolf does have a decent chapter on the nature and flow of time, although his terminology gets a bit dense. While the book is, for the most part, readable and accessible for the layman, it does occasionally lapse into the same complexity and disorganization so evident in his very disappointing THE DREAMING UNIVERSE.

Ultimately, the thesis of the entire work comes down to the following: one may free oneself from the contraints of time through meditation, entering into the timeless realm where one surrenders the ego (and hence the endorsement by Deepak Chopra). But do we need all the repetitive scientific explanations to arrive at this conclusion, which is explained in a hundred other books? Wolf also claims that by traveling back in time--i.e., remembering--we can become happier by learning from our mistakes and forgiving ourselves and others. Okay, true enough, but this isn't exactly a revelation.

For Wolf, time travel is a mental construct (short of a real time machine), a notion that seems painfully obvious. We can approach time travel through "unfocusing," thus freeing ourselves from Heisenberg's observer effect ... or we can meditate. It all comes down to the same thing.

Handled differently, this could have been a great book, one Wolf is certainly capable of writing. In the end, however, I didn't learn anything new from this particular treatise.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of clarity, February 4, 2006
I wouldn't immediately dismiss this book as New Age hogwash, because any discussion of the mind is going to involve metaphysics. Wolf himself admits that consciousness is subjective, but hopes that a subjective model of mind can provide us with a better understanding of "reality". Quantum physics may help in this understanding, but there isn't much in this book that builds on existing theory. Wolf's only addition is proposing that through meditation the mind can travel through time.

The single biggest gap that I found in his theory was the transition from observing quantum-level events to observing ordinary world events. He states that we can travel through time by releasing the ego's hold on everyday events - through meditation we can stop focusing so hard on what's in front of us, and expand our minds into the timeless existence. Meditative consciousness, he claims, disengages the mind from the normal process of collapsing quantum waveforms. While I have no doubt as to the psychological and spiritual benefits of meditation, I don't see how the observation of a particle and the collapse of its possibility-wave can have the same effects as, say, the observation of my desk. From what I understand, quantum physical events don't have any effect at the level of classical physics, unless some sort of detector is involved (as in Schrodinger's Cat). I may be misunderstanding this, but the point is that Wolf makes no attempt to explain this leap between quantum events and everyday reality. I realize that this book is written such that the layman can understand it, and therefore these details may have been deliberately omitted, but if that is the case, I wonder why he bothers with the science at all. Why not just write a book about how to meditate?

Which leads me to another point - in the final chapters, Wolf discusses the benefits of mind time travel, but he never says anything about his experiences with it. In dealing with subjective matters of mind, I can accept that objective scientific experiments are next to impossible, but I would have appreciated some sort of anecdotal evidence. But there is none. Relating personal experiences would lend a bit credibility to his theory.

He reviews some means of "conventional" time travel, which may be interesting to some people, but I felt was a waste of space and had very little to do with his central theory. But that's not a big deal.

Because of these flaws, the entire book was rather fluffy. If you are the kind of person who enjoys being told that the universe is a wonderful, magical place, you might like the book. But if you are looking for any sort of solid reasoning to reinforce this view, or for tools that will help you realize it for yourself, you'd be better off looking elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive. But if we are searching for truth, there needs to be a clarity of thought that is lacking in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different angle on time, May 13, 2007
As a mental health professional, I recognized Wolf's context of going into the past, since I have led many clients into the past by recreating experiences that hurt them and gave a poor perception of the world. When I take them back, I can have them re-look at the experience from the ones who caused the hurt so they realize the context of the action, and that it was not meant to hurt them at all or as badly as it did. Wolf's concept of recreating the past event fits nicely with his proposed use of time travel into the past.

Regarding time travel in the future, Wolf talks about being open to future ideas, and reminded me of a time when I wrote "from the top of my mind," which led to ideas I had not heard of before. The experience sounded very similar to his description of future time travel.

Finally, the romantic idea of getting into a contraptions and actually going back or forward for an "in person" visit was discouraged by the book, but the realistic use of time travel became much more down to earth and usable. The experiences of reaching timelessness through meditation I have experienced and his descriptions are right on target.

The reader will be pleasantly surprised with all of what goes into making up "spacetime" and how the concept of linear time came about. I have a much fuller understanding of types of time and the beginning of an understanding of it. Very readable and interesting for the non-scientist.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Fred Allen Wolfe's finest!, March 31, 2010
Excellent book!! There is something about this man's writing that has allowed me to understand many concepts in ways that I never imagined. He has a way of taking a concept or theory that I already had an understanding of at an Academic level and turns it into something that is an integrated part of my reality. I suggest reading his books "Mind Into Matter" and "Matter Into Spirit" before tackling this one though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing!, October 12, 2013
Friend gave me this book then I've decided to buy it. It took me awhile to complete it. First few chapters are not that easy to read, but once you get to the middle of the book and understand the quantum physics part, it is amazing. New approach and way of thinking opens up your horizon. I think it all depends on what you believe in and how you will comprehend and take what is said in the book. I find it new way of looking at things in life, challenge the mind for a change and embrace the change. I had watched Fred Alan Wolf on Netflix but hadn't read anything written by him I liked it.

"In Quantum physic Possibility -waves are not measurable objects, but over the time these waves produce measurable probability- curve. In order to get a different outcome of probability - curve the possibility -waves must be changed which is the foundation of the different outcomes. In order to change the habit one must want to be aware of the habit and keep in mind all the time that the habit that is now unconscious, once had consciousness, which needs to be changed, difficult, but possible to do with awareness, willingness, and a lot of possibility waves that are conscious to change that habit. Outcome is amazing when you accomplish it. " - Grace Keshishyan

4.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, yet inconclusive, February 28, 2007
First and foremost, I have great reverence for Dr. Wolf and am a great admirer of the cool and cooky, irreverent approach he has to explaining such high-brow stuff to those unschooled in physics, such as myself. His explanations of such complex matters as the general and special theories of relativity, wormholes, superstring theories, quantum physics and so forth are truly invaluable. Notwithstanding the foregoing, although I could not put the book down and devoured it in little over a week, it seemed to me as somewhat inconclusive. The bottom line: as body yoga helps you detach from your bodily constraints to gain awareness, "mind yoga" will help you detach your mind from the physical constraints that impede you from travelling forwards and backwards in time.

Perhaps I missed a point or two (I ought to, and probably will, read it over again), and perhaps it's assumed to be so, but I don't recall the text going over whether this form of time travel consists in an actual displacement of the traveler (or her consciousness) resulting in a difference between the external time elapsed in the system which she inhabits and the time span through which she has displaced her awareness, or just recollections of the past and anticipation of the future.

On the other hand, he stresses the use of "mind yoga" in order to acheive time travel, and makes several references to Raja Yoga and Trascendental Meditation. However, and although I've yet to bounce these specific ideas off with an extremely learned yogui I have the privilege to be acquainted with, in a previous opportunity he and I had to discuss the prospect of achieving such forms of temporal displacement through yoga, past lives therapy and even astral travel, the outcome turned out to be that it remains questionable for such an undertaking to be feasible through such means. For what I've read so far, modern trends in physics posit time travel as possible, theoretically, or at least not barred by the laws of physics, but if yoga were the way to go about it, I gather that the capitals of the world would be crawling with "mind yoga" studios more than with Ashtanga or Kundalini yoga ones; after all, a sizeable number of people would probably rather travel in time than improve their breathing, posture or self-awareness, right?

As I said, perhaps it's me, so I should go over the book again more carefully and therefor apologies are in order, but in my first reading I failed to find the formula to travel through time using mind yoga. Even so I enjoyed it loads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fred Alan Wolf is great, August 16, 2013
Finally, an explanation to why I don't believe in time. Easy to read and common language quantum physics. You have to love the way he unites theology with science in a common sense manner.

2.0 out of 5 stars no, June 13, 2014
maybe it was over my head but I was totally bored. I would tell you to bypass this one and look elsewhere.

The Yoga of Time Travel: How the Mind Can Defeat Time
The Yoga of Time Travel: How the Mind Can Defeat Time by Fred Alan Wolf (Paperback - October 1, 2004)
$17.95 $12.44