Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New York Times Favorite Day Crosswords: Wednesday: 75 of Your Favorite Medium-Level Wednesday Crosswords from The New York Times
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 1, 2012
As those familiar with NYT know, Wednesday puzzles feature all kinds of clever twists, word plays, spelling variants, numbers as characters, and such things. The puzzles in this volume fall into that category.

I'm giving the volume 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 for one reason: I find that the puzzles vary dramatically in difficulty. Some of them are almost like Monday or Tuesday puzzles and I can complete them almost straight through in ink. This is often because there is an obvious theme that reveals many answers once it is glimpsed.

But other puzzeles are extremely difficult (for me), more like late week puzzles that have obscure references to things like minor people from decades ago, often further obscured by indirection or pun. The good thing, I suppose, is that the volume is not uniform but stretches your abilities. Unfortunately much of the stretching feels to me more like random tidbits rather than systematic progress. It is somewhat dispiriting to do one puzzle well and then fail abysmally on the next one.

As for the print, I like the soft cover (as opposed to spiral) newsprint style -- yes, you have to fold the cover back which is a pain. But it makes the volume extremely light and packable to take on the go.

Enjoy!
on August 11, 2009
Bought this book in order to improve my crossword skills. I'm relatively new to crosswords (introduced to them a year ago)and enjoy working on Monday-type of NYT puzzles -- the challenging yet doable ones that make you feel like you accomplished something. These Tuesday puzzles are much tougher than I expected, and I find it hard to believe these are "Tuesday". It has references to songs, actors, and movies from the 1950s -- as a young adult I cannot relate to. Also, I have encountered a couple of puzzles where I couldn't answer a single clue. I have yet to complete a puzzle. So, if you have mad crossword puzzle skills and are looking for a challenge, this book is for you. If you want moderately challenging puzzles, look elsewhere.
on July 1, 2009
This product is labeled as puzzles that have appeared in the Tuesday edition of the NY Times. I find that very hard to believe. I've been doing Tuesday puzzles in the Times for many years (as well as Monday) and these are much much harder than Tuesday puzzles. They are much closer to Wednesday in difficulty and therefore beyond my capabilities to solve. It was a total waste of my money. What ever happened to truth in advertising? It would also be much better if the book size was 8.5 x 11 and spiral bound. It's current binding is not conducive to puzzle solving.
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2008
Consisting of the Times's Monday morning crosswords from November 29, 1993, to May 1, 1995, this slim book is great for the crossword puzzler on the go. The design is perfect for casual puzzlers: not as big as an omnibus collection, yet not so compact (like a mass-market paperback) so that your hand keeps slipping off the page.

A note about the puzzles: some of the clues may seem outdated, given that these were published in the mid-1990s. One puzzle's theme has clues featuring Clinton's White House cabinet. Overall, though, the clues are general enough to appeal to many folks, especially since these are (in theory) the Times's "easiest" crosswords.
on March 17, 2012
I have gotten very good with Monday puzzles and have been focusing on Tuesdays and some Wednesdays. I had ordered this book several months ago and decided to go ahead and do it for some 'easy' puzzle time. To me, this is more like Thursday's puzzles with a some Friday's thrown in!! I have a book of Tuesday's I do on break at work and they are a complete breeze compared to these! If you want some easy puzzles, try Volume 6 'easy crossword omnibus' by Will Shortz. I got mine here at amazon and these puzzles are far more suited to the adjective 'easy'. Good luck!!
on August 31, 2014
Great puzzle book. Classic Wednesday crosswords. One suggestion (if Will Shortz reads these reviews...)...put the date that the puzzle was originally published next to each puzzle...this would better help with the context of the clues...for example if the clue invoices a President, but the puzzle was published in 1975, I can eliminate a bunch of possibilities.
on June 17, 2015
This is a pretty good collection of crosswords. Most were challenging/clever enough to not be boring, but "easy" enough to actually finish them! Some were way too hard for anyone in my family to figure out, so they're still sitting unfinished, but I more or less expected that was going to be the case. The book itself is small and portable, which is nice so you can bring it wherever you go without being encumbered. This was definitely worth the purchase! It is everything you expect from NYT crossword puzzles!
on December 17, 2015
These are MUCH harder than the Tuesday ones now. Part of it is that they're old, from the 80's I think, which mean the pop culture that hasn't withstood the test of time, is lost on me. I graduated from high school in the 80's but the pop culture references are older just as they are now (as in the past ten years). But that's not the only reason. I think they've gotten easier as time's gone by. I usually can do about two thirds of Wednesday without looking up names (I really am not good with names), but these are about that level for me and some are even harder. That's not a big deal if you like a serious challenge and are at the level I am and know which book to buy. For me it's frustrating because I wanted this level so I could do them quickly while I'm waiting for something like I have to leave in 10 or 15 minutes, or I'm waiting for dinner to finish cooking.
on January 24, 2009
I've been working on this book off-and-on for about a year. Some of them are a little too easy--finish all of the horizontal in a section without even looking at the vertical clues--but many of them are "just right".
on April 8, 2011
This puzzle book is a bit misrepresented. There are a lot of obscure items in this book's puzzles and the clues can sometimes leave one feeling clueless, so remotely oblique they seem. I would not say it is so effectively pleasing or easy a past-time solving these puzzles as one has to do some and leave the puzzle and work on it some more and come back to it. I put it aside for when I feel like a challenge.

Most of the other NYTImes Puzzle books ARE as easy as they say they are. Not so much this one.