5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the toughest of the tough
Published on July 12, 2009 by Robert J. Newell

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hard Puzzles, but...
I did not realize the book was so small. The print is too hard for me to read comfortably long enough to finish a puzzle. Wish it was a bigger publication. It will go on the shelf to be pulled out now and again I suppose.
Published 21 months ago by Ms Casey

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the toughest of the tough, July 12, 2009
This review is from: The New York Times Ferocious Crosswords: 150 Hard Puzzles (New York Times Crossword Puzzles) (Paperback)
This book of 150 New York Times reprints seems like a selected group of the harder Friday and Saturday puzzles. My usual solving times are 20 minutes for Friday and 30 minutes for Saturday, but these are taking me longer, more like 45 minutes. (I'm no champion solver but I'm not bad either.) My only objection is that some of the puzzles use too many proper names and obscure trivia, at times grouped in a single area making success without reference books much harder (shades of Maleska, but these are all Shortz-era puzzles).

Definitely well worth buying if you haven't been solving the Times every day for the last five years. (If you have been a regular solver then these puzzles will not be new to you.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, November 4, 2009
Edward H. Garcia (Murchison, TX USA) - See all my reviews
These puzzles are very challenging but not (yet)impossible. Every one is a workout. They also seem to be fairly recent--not based on current events from the 40s and 50s. My only objection is to the binding. I would prefer a spiral that I could fold flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good deal, February 17, 2010
I've enjoyed crossword puzzles for years, but until I bought this book I hadn't done many New York Times crossword puzzles, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Having now attempted about a third of the puzzles, my verdict is that these are very challenging and very fun. Especially at the discounted price that Amazon is currently offering, I think a fan of hard crosswords would be foolish not to buy this book.

The key thing to know is that these crossword puzzles aren't hard because they contain obscure jargon that even well-educated people are unlikely to know. They're hard because they have ambiguous clues that sometimes come close to being "daffynitions". They're hard because the answers tend to have lots of letters. They're hard because you're not told when the answer is a phrase instead of a single word. For these reasons, when I'm defeated by one of these puzzles, I feel like I've lost fair and square.

It's too bad that these puzzles are printed small, on somewhat porous paper, and with an inconvenient binding. I make up for the binding by ripping the pages out and working them on a clipboard. The paper isn't so bad that I can't use a good felt-tip pen like Staedtler triplus fineliners, but I have to be a little gentle. As for the print size, I'm tempted to scan them and work the enlargements, but so far that seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. Even with these issues, there is no question that this is a 5-star item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely harder puzzles, October 4, 2009
It's been a long time since I've had any trouble doing a crossword puzzle, and I usually have to make rules for myself to slow myself down. These puzzles are refreshingly difficult. In part, for me, the difficulty lies in the pop culture references with which I am unfamiliar, but it's also due to the oddness and obscurity of both clues and answers. Not unfairly so, but unusual. I am very much enjoying these puzzles--I even make mistakes that I have to correct as I solve. What fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferocious - try impossible, October 12, 2009
I am on Crossword #49 and have fully completed only two so far. I will go back and try again before peeking at some of the answers. If you think you are good at crosswords like the Sunday New York Times puzzle, try this book. I consider myself in the excellent category in solving crosswords. This book makes me think again. But I love the challenge. I'm thinking if I complete 10 out of 150 I'm doing good but I'm not giving up until I try each one at least five times. I dare you to try it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hard Puzzles, but..., March 27, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferocious Isn't Quite Accurate, September 21, 2010
This little monster is tough but it won't bite you in the a**, just make you occasionally gnash your teeth. The puzzles are on the difficult end of the scale from typical New York Times Sunday puzzles. But they're doable and I've been having a wonderful time with them. Clever, too. Sometimes the clues strike no chord at all and then suddenly, minutes or even hours later, you strike your forehead and say, 'Of course!!'.

Worth every penny for die-hard cruciverbalists.

Scott Morrison

2.0 out of 5 stars puns, puns, and more puns, May 23, 2013
LMO (Northampton, MA) - See all my reviews
If you like puns (funny ha ha), then this is the book for you. If you like something with more content and the expectation that you have an actual vocabulary and know how to spell, avoid this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Thurs-Sat Puzzles, February 27, 2012
Ferocious is a relative term. The first few in this collection are very easy if you were expecting hard Saturday puzzles. After that they get a little more challenging. Will Shortz should know his puzzlers well enough to specify what day of the week we are getting in this book. I think it is a mixture of Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to its title, February 22, 2010
These puzzles are truly a challenge, which is what I look for in a crossword. After you have been doing puzzles for many years, like I have, you look for something that makes you think; this book does the trick. Will Schortz is one of the best editors out there, in my opinion.

$10.99 $9.89