4.0 out of 5 stars A good, medium level crosswork puzzle book.
The Wild Crossword book was just about what I was hoping for. The puzzles are challenging for me - my level of comfort is with NY Times Wednesday/Thursday puzzles - and with a sufficient variation in level of challenge to keep things interesting. Hidden themes were sometimes obscure, but I guess that's a part of it.
Published on March 2, 2010 by Richard Klein

2.0 out of 5 stars Wild Medium Crossword Puzzles
To me, these are NOT "medium" difficulty. These are "hard", at least, for a normal, intelligent person and not a pro.
Published 16 months ago by Paul-Peter Carr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, medium level crosswork puzzle book., March 2, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, December 12, 2009
John R. Fox "WxHerk" (Yoknapatawpha County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New York Times Wild Crosswords: 150 Medium-Level Puzzles (New York Times Crossword Puzzles) (Paperback)
As I've said about other collections, it's typical Will Shortz: Clever puzzles that WILL cause you to smile when you pick up on some of the themes. Will Shortz' genius lies in his trusting his contributors and not "adding salt to the soup" when it's not needed. Mr. Shortz is almost singlehandedly responsible for the clever, witty, fun crossword, but if you didn't already know that you'd not be reading this review!!

5.0 out of 5 stars NY Times X Word compilation, April 15, 2009
This book is exactly the level of puzzles that I was hoping to find when I purchased it; not too hard, not too easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection, February 28, 2011
Will Shortz's clever editing skills shine in this collection of medium-difficulty puzzles. They are just hard enough to challenge me, but not so obscure that they take an inordinate amount of time to solve. I am enjoying the book enormously and hope that Shortz has produced other books in a similar vein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way more challenging than I was expecting!, February 13, 2012
I had previously purchased the Easy crossword book, I believe it was the Lazy Sunday book, and pretty easily finished the majority of the puzzles in one go through. I decided to get this for my girlfriend as a step up from the previous book, thinking it would be slightly more challenging. These puzzles are far more challenging than I was expecting. I'm no crossword pro and I like to think I can handle my share of crosswords, but I can go pages through this book without being able to complete more than a few clues.
Definitely a challenging book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wild Medium Crossword Puzzles, March 25, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating -, February 4, 2013
Too many questions involving two or more words and about names of people, even a puzzle with a number of deliberately misspelled words and another with some clues almost non-existent. I think I should have gone for a Tuesday book.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good challenge!, October 20, 2011
This is my second Will Shortz's puzzle books and they are a good match for my skills. Yes, they can be solved without too much frustration, as some more difficult puzzle collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars NYT Crossword Puzzle, March 16, 2010
Great book. I'm a huge fan of New York Times crosswords and this was very challenging!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for my level, May 25, 2013
Very pleasurable. I can solve these puzzles without resorting to reference works, so I would put them at the Wednesday level of the NYT. Thursday puzzles sometimes stump me, and Fridays and Saturdays are usually beyond me, so this book gives me just the right challenge at the end of the week!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›