4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, very pleased with just a few minor issues
After reading the numerous negative reviews for this app, I was hesitant to try it, but given how much I enjoy the occasional print copy of The New Yorker that I get, I had to give this a try.

Published on February 26, 2012 by B. Wiley

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful experience for magazines
1. Installs as an app instead of in the newstand, which is VERY inconvenient.
2. Requires you to login with userid/pwd EVERY time you want to read or download an issue
Published on November 18, 2011 by Jay Edgar

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful experience for magazines, November 18, 2011
Jay Edgar (St Louis, Mo United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
1. Installs as an app instead of in the newstand, which is VERY inconvenient.
3. False errors when attempting to download. I have 2gb availble on my 6gb Kindle Fire, and it said insufficient disk space to download my very first issue! I sent an email to them about the issue, which was not responded to. After a couple days, it did finally start downloading (who can guess why it worked that time). Size of a single issue well over 100mb!!!!! Haven't they heard of compression? If you move off the page (perhaps to do something else on your Kindle during the long download), the download in progress is lost, and it starts again from scratch, so basically you just have to sit and wait.
4. Once it finally downloaded, the app wouldn't open it.

Have the exact same issues with Wired magazie, which is also a Conde Nast magazine that installs as an app instead of in the newstand as anyone would expect. I will avoid all Conde Nast publications on my Kindle in the future. I'm so happy it was only a trial subscription.

Other than that, really like the newstand magazines, all of which have functioned perfectly, and many of which are more graphics-intensive than the New Yorker or Wired, and none of which take anywhere near as much disk space per issue.

3.0 out of 5 stars You can do better, and it wouldn't be hard., November 17, 2011
TLibasci (Broken Arrow, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
Oh, for the love of god, let it remember my username and password! Should it really be necessary? It's not like this thing launches missiles or anything. If you think it's not a big deal to retype my password, well, some of us don't use "abc123" for all our password needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, very pleased with just a few minor issues, February 26, 2012
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)

The good news is that the most frequently mentioned problem seems to have been fixed --- Since installing this app and getting The New Yorker subscription started, I have not had to re-enter my user name and password beyond the first time.

As for this periodical being under APPS vs the Newsstand is really a non-issue with me, since I use the Kindle Fire's carousel to access most of my media.

The first issue downloaded smoothly, and did not take an excessive amount of time (a minute maybe).

The content is well laid out and easy to read. Navigation is easy (but see #4, below).

A few minor issues that had me give this app 4 stars instead of 5:

1)The initial subscribing to The New Yorker was VERY confusing and unclear. If you are print subscriber, they have a huge box for you to tap on, but for non-subscribers like me, it took several attempts to find WHERE I subscribe. Loading the APP is only the first part, starting a digital subscription is the next part, and it took me 4 or 5 tries to find where you do that, and in fact, I was almost ready to skip the whole thing and delete the app. NOT the way you want to interact with potential customers!

2)Once you are in an issue, it only display in portrait mode. I prefer to do most of my reading in landscape, but it will load only one way.

3)Once you are in an issue, the menu items are all switched around. To get to the HOME key to get back to your Fire Home page, you tap the UPPER edge of the screen, and find the HOME icon in the upper left corner.

4)The pages scroll up and down, not left and right. Going left and right takes you to the next/previous article. Again, just backwards of all the other Kindle media.

5)And, maybe I'm being greedy, but I was hoping to be able to access back issues with my initial subscription, but no such luck. They are available for $5.99 each.

1.0 out of 5 stars Access issue, November 16, 2011
David F. Bates (South Easton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I cannot access this with my existing password similar to the first reviewer. Solve that and I'll be using this frequently.

Updated review for reconfigured app released in late 2013: Every time I use this app and then switch to reading a book, my place is lost in the book. This was not an issue before I updated this app. Please fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Will re-subscribe when it's better, December 2, 2011
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I love The New Yorker, and was very excited to be able to read it on my new Kindle Fire -- indeed, that was one of the reasons I wanted to get the Fire in the first place, to access a nicely-formatted version of this magazine.

Other reviewers have commented on the fact that a separate app is required, and the content is accessed through this app, and not via the Newstand. I found this process kind of quirky, but not a deal-breaker. The app required a log-in each time, which was a little frustrating, since the userID and password fields are very, very small and can be difficult to activate for typing, but, again, this alone didn't make me unsubscribe.

What finally turned me off was the very lengthy process of downloading each issue; I believe other commenters have mentioned this as well. Each issue was very slow to download, and the process was aborted if I navigated away from the New Yorker app -- I only realized this hours later when, sure the download had completed, I returned to the app to read the issue, only to have to start the process all over again. I was completely unable to download the most recent issue; I was never able to connect to the server on several attempts over three days. (During this time, my connectivity to other sites and servers was sound, so I do not believe my wi-fi was to blame.) I finally uninstalled the app from my device, and contacted Amazon directly to cancel the subscription -- because I could not find any other option to do so, either within the app or on my subscriptions page at Amazon.

I'm still saddened by having to unsubscribe, though, and there was a lot I like about the electronic version of the magazine. I actually liked the internal navigation within each issue, which allowed me to see all of the articles splayed out in miniature and scroll across to pick out the one to read; I liked the separate cartoon section at the end, and particularly enjoyed the inclusion of multi-media features (like clickable links to a poet reading his or her work, or a related video, or larger versions of photos). I do wish the article pages themselves had supported pinch-to-zoom features, but, once I actually had the issue downloaded and logged in etc., it was enjoyable to read on the Fire.

I will happily re-subscribe if the delivery method can be improved.

1.0 out of 5 stars New Yorker & Kindle Fire don't play together well, December 21, 2011
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I have a print subscription and can access this on my iMAC, MacBook Pro, iPAD and Windows laptop. Our family has multiple devices. All can download the New Yorker - except the Kindle Fire. Reloaded and changed password which meant changing it for everything and it still would not work. My conclusion is that is the app for the Kindle Fire that isn't working well.

1.0 out of 5 stars They Ruined it!, September 15, 2013
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
Until today I would have rated this app 5 stars, easily. Elegant, well-laid out, easy to use, a pleasure to read. Now, suddenly, there's a new "improved" version. What's improved? Nothing, really. There are now three type sizes for each page. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, the three type choices are sub-microscopic, microscopic, and infinitesimal. In short, it's virtually impossible to read. Even someone with 20-20 vision would probably have difficulty.

It's a shame. For the last few months I've looked forward to downloading the new issue each Monday. My print copy is not always delivered on time, and the old app was so nicely done it was almost enough. Now, it's completely unusable.

So, I guess I'll just have to go back to the old-fashioned way of doing things.

(I'm referring to the KindleFire HD version; there is no app available for my phone, and the screen is too small anyway.)

The older issues are still readable, by the way; so it's not completely useless, after all. Apparently the print version has been redesigned, so the new format has something to do with that. Still, that's no excuse for getting the app wrong.

UPDATE: I recently upgraded to a Kindle Fire HDX, and the app isn't available for that version, so the whole matter is moot. Bah!

1.0 out of 5 stars Available instantly for your Android device ????, February 29, 2012
Charlie (Bronx, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
The title of this review is taken from the words that appear just under the title of the page that this electronic version of the New Yorker is promoted on; I added only the question marks. I added them because it turns out NOT to be compatible with my two standard Android devices - a Droid Bionic phone and an Asus Transformer Prime tablet (nor does it work on almost any other Android device). If it's just for the Fire then it should be advertised as such.

I love the New Yorker. I get it on paper and on my Kindle Touch, although I may terminate the latter subscription now that it is increasing in price by so much. I was really looking forward to reading the New Yorker on my tablet, but alas, that is not going to happen. I love Amazon and, as I said, I love the New Yorker, but you both sure messed up on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work and Amazon can't fix, November 22, 2011
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
This app just doesn't work and Amazon doesn't have a clue why or when it might. Don't plan to read The New Yorker in Color any time soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars New Format of New Yorker on Kindle a Disaster, September 25, 2013
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I just wanted to echo the sentiment of many of the other reviews I have read and voice my utter displeasure with the new format of the New Yorker on the Kindle Fire HD. Before the new format was released for the September 23rd version I would have rated this app to be 4-5 stars, however the new version deserves less than 1 star. To start, the font is way too small, the new version allows you to select from three sizes but even the largest is very small. Also, the layout on the kindle version now appears to keep the pictures and content separate so on a given page you may have a picture on one side and then a very narrow column of content on the other, leaving a significant amount of wasted space under the picture. On the movie page of the latest issue (September 30, 2013), the width of the article is literally only 6 words across, it makes no sense! Also, now in the "Goings On About Town" section rather than list all of the content that you can then easily scroll through, you have to select each section separately (and which is very small to read as well) which is annoying and unneccesary. I've also found the load times and reaction speed on the newer issues to be much slower which provides a negative experience when reading the app.

I will say that I don't think it is necessarily the app itself that is the problem but rather the format of the issues because as some other reviewers have commented, the older issues that I still have stored on my Kindle look fine, its only the last two issues where I've noticed the issues. One reason / explanation for the change may be the size of the issues, I did notice that the latest issue was only 30 MB, whereas older issues were between 100-130 MBs. Therefore you could technically save more issues onto your Kindle with the new format but this isn't really helpful because you can always archive and redownload older issues anyway (I only have 4-5 loaded onto my kindle at any one time to help save hard drive space).

So overall, this is a disaster for the New Yorker and those readers that enjoy the electronic version of the magazine on an Android tablet. I am going to look to cancel my subscription ASAP until they tell me they've reverted to the old format.

Rate and Discover Movies