5.0 out of 5 stars film that deserves more recognition
Published on March 10, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I give a nudge to a yes vote.
Published 2 months ago by Russell S

5.0 out of 5 stars film that deserves more recognition, March 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
East Harlem New York is the setting where three members of an Italian gang savagely murder a blind puerto Rican boy in cold blood. The boys are subsequnetly arrested and district attorney Hank Bell (Burt Lancaster) at first seeks the death penalty for the boys. He shortly after finds out that one of the boys is the son of his childhood girlfriend who still resides in the East Harlem district where he was raised. Lancaster then thouroughly investigates the case and discovers some rather surprising things. The bitter tensions between the rival Italian Thunderbirds gang and the Puerto Rican Horseman gang are vividly shown in this film. Unlike some other films that deal with gangs and delinquency, the gnag memeber have bonifide iTALIAN AND pUERTO rICAN NAMES INSTEAD OF BLAND GENERIC NAMES LIKE DAnny fisher. Luis Arroyo is very good as the insightful and angry Peurto Rican gang leader who accuses the D. A of practicing a double standard for Peurto Ricans and Italians. Vivian Nathan is superb as the angry grief stricken mother of the slain boy. Her performance and dialogue are close to oscar caliber. John Davis Chandler is frightening as the cold vicious morally bankrupt Thunderbird member who along with co- defendend Anthony Aposto (Neil nephew) sees nothing wrong with murdering a Peurto Rioan for kicks. This film is sadly forgotten by most people. it was never a big box office hit. But the story is very good and the characthers are vivid and thouroughly convincing as true to life EAST HARLEM GANG MEMBERS. many socially relevant issues are covered in this drama as well. More people should see this very good, realistic and powerful film. Teenagers and adults can relate to the issues dealt with here such as, peer pressure, racial tension poverty , broken homes, depravation cuased by slum life and more. a very good film that is still very timely.,

4.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Morality Play, November 2, 2005
Randy Keehn (Williston, ND United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I watched a lot of movies on TV when I was growing up. Much of them were mediocre at best (I'm thinking of the Friday and Saturday night monster movies and the Saturday afternoon Roy Rogers Westerns). Some of the movies I saw were great movies then and remain so today. However, a few left an indelible impression on me yet seemed to disappear from public view as I grew older. One such movie was "The Young Savages". I was seared by the image of Puerto Rican gangs in New York where teenagers would kill with switchblades and beat people with log chains. It was strange stuff for an adolescent growing up in Des Moines. I was impressed with Burt Lancaster who was "one of them" but ready, as an Assistant District Attorney, to send these young murderers to the gas chamber. I was fascinated as I watched his efforts to punish evolve into an effort to understand. I remember wondering if other prosecutors ever handled a trial the way he did (I don't think so). I would remember scenes from "The Young Savages" over the years and I was glad to finally have a chance to see it again the other night on TCM.

The second time around was as good or better because I didn't appreciate the moral story in the movie as much as I thought I had. The same scenes of senseless violence challenged me again (although, between then and now, I had been to New York City a number of times...and survived!). However, I had missed the tension between DA Lancaster and his proper wife who opposed capital punishment. It was interesting to see Lancaster fight his own beliefs and put them to the test. His efforts to get to understand the juvenile delinquents was impressive. Each time he felt he'd had enough of their pointless violent nature, he relent and search even deeper to understand what made them click. The further he'd push it, the harder he'd get hurt (in a variety of ways). The trial still comes across as something out of a Broadway play rather than a district courthouse but, by that point in the movie, Lancaster had earned the right to solve things his way. The result of the trial had touched me as a kid and seeing it again reaffirmed my first impressions.

The acting in "The Young Savages" was generally good to (in the case of Burt Lancaster) very good. I'll add a kudo for Telly Savalas in a supporting role. Edward Andrews was a bit much as the ambition District Attorney who had his sights on the Governors mansion. However, I can think of a number of current politicians who come across worse than he did. I never really bought into Dina Merril's role (although her scene in the elevator was fairly well done). I didn't realize that John Frankenheimer went back that far as a director but he, and the writer did very well. I'm sorry that this movie is so seldom shown these days. It's what we would call a "sleeper". I'll watch it again the next time I can. I just hope it isn't another 40-some years before I get the chance again.

5.0 out of 5 stars film that deserves more recognition, March 10, 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, Review, Review!, March 6, 2006
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Does anyone know what a review is? A review isn't a long drawn out synopsis of the film! It's the writers opinions of the quality of the film and certain aspects of it. This film is one of the stand out films of the late fifties and early sixties that dealt with social commentary of the times. Burt Lancaster who is usually considered a very good B actor, but gives a stellar A+ performance. It is a very well done gritty crime drama of gang violence in New York City of the time. This film has a really good story and plot, and a good twist at the end. It ranks right up there with films of the period such as; 12 Angry Men, Inherit the Wind and many others. If you like Burt Lancaster, Well written and acted dramas from the fifties and sixties, then get this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flick!!!!! Two Thumbs Up!!, May 22, 2006
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I also happen to love this movie. I, however, don't know why DJ Honeybear is going all in a huff about this movie, and they way others review it. If others want to give a synopis, so be it. Sure they're ignorant, and most likely not as sophisiticated as you most likely are, but that doesn't mean you have to use harsh words to put them down. They are, afterall, reviewing for free. I suggest you take a warm bath, and put your feet up, and try to relax. You'll live longer.

"Dr." MC White

4.0 out of 5 stars New York turf war murder, March 22, 2005
Cory D. Slipman (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Burt Lancaster plays moralistic district attorney Hank Bell empowered with the prosecution of three teenagers for a cold blooded murder in acclaimed director John Frankenheimer's "The Young Savages". The teens, members of a caucasian Harlem street gang The Thunderbirds knife to death a blind Puerto Rican boy in an obviously racially motivated episode.

Popular sentiment is seeking a first degree murder indictment for the accused boys. Lancaster's boss D.A. Dan Cole played by Edward Andrews has gubernatorial aspirations. A fast conviction would seem to cement his chances. Unfortunately Lancaster is torn. One of the boys happens to be the son of ex-flame Shelley Winters. In addition, Lancaster's wife played by the attractive Dina Merrill is at odds with him over the case providing him with no solace. Lancaster is aided in his investigation by a pre-Kojak Telly Savalas playing a similar role as the cynical Lt. Gunderson. They are forced to hit the streets which are ruled by violent ethnic gangs to get answers.

The boys go to trial where the drama is ultimately played out. "The Young Savages" is based on a plot that is very similar in context to "West Side Story" with similar tragic sequellae.

5.0 out of 5 stars forever young, February 9, 2014
This review is from: The Young Savages [VHS] (VHS Tape)
An excellent film. Full of action and mystery, starring burt Lancaster and a then unknown Telly Savalas with still some hair left. Lancaster plays a prosecutor investigating a murder case in which three members of an Italian Street gang are accused of a hate crime that could put them on the electric chair in 1960 Harlem even though they are all under 18. Telly Savalas plays a detective who believes all of the accused are guilty. It is later revealed that the victim was a gang leader who played the blind man's bluff and the youngest defendant did not stab the victim, he only hit him with the blade handle. As a result all three defendants were saved from the death penalty, the oldest got 20 years, the second who went by the nickname batman was committed to an asylum until he is believed legally sane and the youngest defendant got one year in reform school.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Concrete Landscape, October 11, 2013
This review is from: The Young Savages (DVD)
THE YOUNG SAVAGES is visually a very stark film. I love this film's resolute perseverance for truth and its enigmatic point of view. The acting is first-rate. I saw this film when it was first released and I have never forgotten it. John Frankenheimer's films have that effect on you. It is a good one and I liked it then and I still like it now. It has stood the test of time. Burt Lancaster's performance was brilliant and very focused. I also liked David Amram's score. It fit the concrete landscape beautify as did Lionel Lindon's stark black & white cinematography.

3.0 out of 5 stars I give a nudge to a yes vote., November 3, 2014
This review is from: Young Savages (DVD)
I have to admit first that I may be a little unfair or harsh on this one. The Reason: John Frankenheimer. Never a huge fan. Trying to look at it away from him, I have this it is a very dated movie about Harlem in 1961. The gangs in Harlem and the social mores at the time. Even I was too young at the time so I can't say for sure but this seems exaggerated to me. The 3 stars are not so much for the story or the direction seems trite and long winded to me, the cast is superb. the grownups anyway, the "young Savages" are just punks and got on my nerves and that is both of the gangs involved. Burt Lancaster, Dina Merrill, Telly Savalas, Shelley Winters and Edward Andrews rise above the pace of this movie. Do I recommend it? Hard to say, but I will go with yes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A hidden Burt Lancaster flick, March 8, 2014
This review is from: The Young Savages (Amazon Instant Video)
Very unorthodox role the great Burt Lancaster. The teenagers are also appealing. The raw photography of New York is engaging. I just wish that the story itself had more depth. Worth a watch.

The Young Savages