Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Yugas: Keys to Understanding Our Hidden Past, Emerging Present and Future Enlightenment
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

This piece on the Yugas is one of the best I have read. It covers a vast number of subjects regarding the Yugas, but it goes in depth to the knowledge of how is is consciousness and not time that goes through these cycles. I have been studying the Yugas for quite some time and after I wrote my first book "Way of the Weirdo" I created a film which goes into this and many other topics. Here is the film "The Sacred Sound of Creation"[...]
VINE VOICEon August 11, 2011
The Yugas is an important book that will undoubtedly revolutionize our view of history and how it plays out. Selbie and Steinmetz have done a terrific job in demonstrating the scientific evidence of rising and falling ages of man, as opposed to the linear development of civilization favored by most historians.

Before reading The Yugas, I was already familiar with Sri Yukteswar's and Paramhansa Yogananda's concept (which differs from the current Hindu concept of the yugas), on which this book is based. After reading The Yugas, I understood more deeply this concept's sometimes surprising foundations in the past and its penetrating ramifications for the future.

Reading The Yugas gave me a glimpse of the sweeping panorama of the ages. I think it should be employed as a university textbook. If you are at all interested in where humanity had been and where we are headed, I highly recommend that you read this book.
on March 1, 2012
Life makes sense in light of this engaging, captivating, scientifically sound book! Steinmetz has taken an inspiring spiritual perspective and juxtaposed it to rigorous science, thereby rendering a reassuring possibility for all of life, as we know it--have known it--and will know it again. A must read for anyone who doubts the future of humankind or presumes to know our past.
on July 12, 2016
The authors, members of a "spiritual community," are evidently blind to acts of genocide. They lost all credibility for me when they referred to kibbutzim in Israel as "communal farming settlements," which are included in their discussion of "spiritually focused communities." There is no mention of the fact that these "spiritually focused communities" are built on stolen Palestinian land through a 70 year holocaust----the ethnic cleansing and genocide of the indigenous Palestinian people...... which continues to this day.

They displayed the same ignorance, callous insensitivity or intentional misrepresentation of American history, stating that the "United States started out as spiritual community for like-minded seekers." This sanitized version of American history completely ignores the fact that the US was founded on the genocide of 2 populations: Africans via slavery and the mass murder of the indigenous population, Native Americans, and theft of their land by Europeans.

I didn't read any further----these statements called into question the authors' integrity and veracity. Swami Sri Yukteswar, a God-realized master, offers a complete explanation of the yugas in "The Holy Science."
on August 16, 2011
This book explains that time is cyclical, not linear. It is well-researched, convincing, and entertaining. The authors remind the reader of a childhood game of searching for an image of a wagon hidden in a line drawing of a rain forest. At first glance, you see only the forest. Once you find the wagon, every time you look at that drawing, you immediately see the wagon.

What Selbie and Steinmetz have shared is an intriguing and satisfying approach to time, one that explains such obvious historical anomalies as the Pyramids. Once you understand the cyclical approach, it is so obvious, and history falls into a clear pattern, with current anomalies such as the Pyramids suddenly making total sense.

The research behind this book is impressive, and the clear and engaging way in which it is presented makes it a real "page-turner"! It deserves to be a bestseller.
This book gathers all the evidence for the lost civilisations, thousands of years ago and is a brilliant research tool. I wasn't convinced with all this yugas business. Overall, there is much in this book to wet the appetite and interest the reader and the current paradigm is crumbling for all to see.

Unfortunately, there is much maths in this book and fancy diagrams that annoyed me after a while. You can paste a diagram on history to prove anything. Selecting dates to prove your case is just selecting dates that fit your case.

All these number, predictions and dating from The Yuga's reminds me of Terence McKenna's Time Wave Zero theory. McKenna always pasted dates to fit his theory. When I was in school, Terence was my god and I convinced myself that McKenna was the outstanding genius of the times. Today, even his biggest fans admit that Terence was wrong. I always feel bad when I say this.

In this book, Selbie and Steinmentz argue that most of linear history is made up anyway and archaeological findings and evidence from the Vedas show a different picture. They write about the (forbidden) archaeology that proves their case more than historical speculation. They don't mention the ancient sanskrit work, Visistha's Yoga, which has rockets and psychedelic masters.

I came across this on Amazon and I bought it because of the excellent blurbs. The grand men of history, like Graham Hancock, Robert Schoch, have given their approval. But the thing with blurbs is this. Say, if you are into psychedelics, like I am, the same thing happens with psychedelic books. It doesn't matter how good the book is, the grand men of psychedelia, like Dennis McKenna, Jonathan Ott, and even Graham Hancock, who now strides two worlds, always give great gushing blurbs and these blurbs make it to the back of the book and people buy the book. This is terribly dishonest and blocks real talent from being discovered. The blurbs for The Yuga's are better written than the actual book.

The authors also argue that Sanskrit is the mother language of all languages. This isn't true either. Sanskrit is part of the mighty Aryan branch of the Divine Gita, one of the limbs of Goddess Lightning. These authors are Indiaphiles, you see, like Forbidden Archaeologist, Michael Cremo. I'm a fan huge of Cremo (who strangely doesn't offer a blurb) but I find most Western authors who go native try to be more Indian than the Indians.

Anyway, even though It isn't very well written, there are generous photos throughout the book and there is something to the idea that humans have degenerated. Professor Ian McGilchrist has written about this degeneration in his Master and his Emissary and the other classic book, Left in the Dark, by Tony Wright, also shows, scientifically, that, yes, we humans living today, with our cars, pizzas and skyscrapers, are less human than Achilles and Plato.
on October 5, 2014
Thoroughly researched and clearly presented. Along with Walter Cruttenden's "Lost Star of Myth and Time," this book opened my mind to the potential of accepting a far different history of human evolution than what is largely accepted. If, in fact, as the authors of "The Yugas" posit, human consciousness goes through cyclical ascendancy and decline, it follows that we should be gazing into our higher consciousness of the past to answer current problems.

If everything regarding time is cyclical from days to months to years and even the expansion and presumed eventual contraction of the universe, why wouldn't it follow that the way mankind experiences earthly existence over long epochs be likewise cyclical? This book makes a solid case for our past being prologue, especially by explaining historical anomalies. If we can more clearly understand our past from this cyclical instead of linear progression, we can be much better prepared to open up rather than resist the changes higher consciousness is offering us during our current ascending arc.

Martin Luther King famously said "the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends towards justice." This book will make you realize that "the arc" is only one of the circular segments. The arc continues until it swallows its tail and then starts all over again.
on March 5, 2012
How and why was the great pyramid on the Giza plateu built? What about the Baalbek stone? We might never know for sure, but this is a step in the right direction. One thing is for for sure: we don't have the technology today to build these structures or it would have been done with great difficulty. The obvious conclusion is that there have been more advanced cultures in ancient times.

If you read the books about Cayce and his readings you will find a lot of information about ancient times that fits the Yugas.

I strongly recommend both the Yugas and Cayces works and about him to you all and especially the authors of this work.
on September 12, 2011
I always knew the truth lay just behind the claims. Our linear historical concept as taught by educators has no explanation for the mysteries that loom large across the globe. From the most massive man built structure on the planet, the Great Pyramid on the plains of Giza, to Stonehenge, to the statues on Easter Island, to the many ruins of the ancient world, whose scope and purpose defy archeological explanation, I have always questioned the official stories. Like the search for mankind's "missing link" in the evolutionary chain, history needed to find it's missing link in order to make sense of the historic evidence of mankinds civilizations tenure here on earth, and the Yugas is that key.

I experienced a continuing state of AH HA! as I read this book. Of course humanity rises and falls, like we observe the seasons and all of nature going through its cycles. From the simplest life form to the billions of massive galaxies, it all rides on the cosmic river of creation. Humanity, in its current confused and infantile state can't physically sit above the flow and see upriver and downriver, the past and what's to come. Science must have PROOF, or it scoffs. But if you are a fan of science, whose role I don't deny in its role of discovery on the material plane, this book ties in with the latest studies by eminent professionals in many fields to lend credence to the claims that we rise now - into the age of energy. Evidence of this is all around. Look at the advances over the past 100 years. Imagine what lay ahead in the next 100.

Moore's law describes a long-term trend in the history of computing hardware. The number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit doubles approximately every two years. This trend has continued for more than half a century and is expected to continue until at least 2015 or 2020. But then? As geometries of transistors continue to shrink in this arena, they are approaching the size of atoms. Keeping them separated so they can independently carry out their instruction set is an ever increasing challenge. Visionaries are looking at replacing silicone with light carrying materials. How this takes shape will lead the next revolution in technology. The new frontier in human Consciousness is no less thrilling and challenging. With the revelations contained in this great work by Joseph Selbie and David Steinmetz, they have helped us climb up upon the high ridge, overlooking the deep river of history, and there in the dawning light we see where our journey has taken us, and more powerfully, what awaits us around the bend.
on July 6, 2016
This is very well researched and very well written. As the information presented unfolded, my mind was enticed to expand to new ways of looking at our past, present and future possibilities. They were able to bring together diverse subject matter into a cohesive worldview that is open to new ways of assessing the evolving life on this planet. It is quite a feat to use many of the verified anomalies of scientific research along with the wisdom found in ancient Vedic literature to provide a fresh look and new interpretation of many historical beliefs that have been held in our culture as if they were facts.