Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

on April 20, 2015
Good product.
on January 5, 2015
A little dated by now.
on May 17, 2014
More for the beginner...a mom and pop shop wanting to get into social media (to which there'd be a good chance I'd advise them to create and maintain an amazing website ( solid--if not quite remarkable or game changing-- advise clearly laid out within book) and depending on their business model, look into utilizing another channel. I was looking for some new fresh ideas or methods of utilizing the standard social channels to marketing my clientele. i came away feeling the concepts were ideas i subconsciously I half expect a new client to be cognizant of when they walk through my door for that first meeting.
on January 27, 2014
A really great starter book that can help inform people so they can choose where to focus their social media marketing.
on August 21, 2013
I've never heard someone elaborate, or should I say explain, these complex technologies in such simple user-friendly terms. I'm in the business of social. I present and explain. So I can tell you what a great job she has done. No wonder Shama is so successful.
on May 19, 2013
Kabani is amazing, and I love the way she writes in the book. It's easy to read and I agree with her. Must read for mediaites!
on March 3, 2013
THis is a meaningless book written to promote only the author. You do not need to read it or buy it to know this. Her twitter site is meaningless...what is she promoting by telling people she had her wisdom teeth taken out? Herself...I beleive the reviewer who has had negative reviews removed. Why are over 2,000 people following someone who is basically saying NOTHING like everyone else on twitter or just retweeting..tweet tweet.
on January 12, 2013
If you're looking for a guide that will give you insights as to strategies and tips to really have successful social media campaigns, this is not the book for you. This one is all about gathering focus on what you're doing and trying to harness that focus into some sort of mission statement or instructional setting before going forward and actually doing the dirty work of social media marketing. It discusses the whys, whats and wheres without actually delving into the actual how to do it. It's high level overview stuff that isn't exceptionally useful for someone looking to dig into Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other social media format. Worse is with these sort of books they become dated very quickly as social media fads come and go and I suspect the writer, trying to avoid this, avoids referencing how to work on specific platforms. Again, not excessively helpful as a tool to get you started.
on April 4, 2012
Unfortunately, I feel that Kabani rehashed the basics of social media without providing much, if any, new insight. "The Zen of Social Media" seemed like more of a instruction manual for creating profiles on social networks instead of a marketing guide. Many of the ideas throughout the book relied on common sense. For example, it is common sense for a brand to post regular updates on social networking sites. It would have been a better reading experience if Kabani had gone as far as explaining the types of updates people seem to respond to and bring a bit more of a human aspect into it.

To me, the highlight of "The Zen of Social Media" was the workbook provided online. It is a nice workbook that gets the user thinking critically about what they want to achieve by using social media. The workbook gives tasks such as, "How will you measure your social media marketing efforts?" and "List three goals you want to accomplish using social media marketing." While the workbook does not provide the sought after analysis and case studies, it does get the user to take a step back and think about their motives for using social media, which is always useful. I feel as if "The Zen of Social Media" would have been more effective as a whole if it was set up more like the workbook.

Despite its flaws, "The Zen of Social Media" has only enhanced my interest in working with social media from a marketing standpoint. The constant changing creates an always evolving workplace. Although I have been critical about "The Zen of Social Media," there are some nuggets of helpful information in there.

There is one passage that I wish had been focused on more throughout the book: "So much of social media is about building relationships and leveraging word of mouth. Sometimes a consumer has to hear about you ten times before he or she will buy" (p. 141-142). I do not think the goal here is to get people to post the same message ten times on different social networking sites. I am afraid that novice people who are looking to "The Zen of Social Media" for guidance may just take exactly that away from this book. I think Kabani has some really good ideas, they just were not executed very well. Perhaps it would have been more effective in an online only version that could be updated regularly. The three main points Kabani wanted the readers to focus on were: Strategize first, be human, and have patience. Overall, I wish these aspects were weaved more thoroughly throughout the book. If "The Zen of Social Media" had focused on these aspects, like I think the goal was, it could have been great.
on March 19, 2012
The Zen was certainly an interesting read. For me, it was more of a guide where I could pick out pertinent kernels of information. The author, Shama, does a great job of breaking down fairly complex information and covers a pretty good amount of information that is important to online marketing. This is a great read for those who are pretty new to social media as a whole, and can give new insights to those who are frequent users. One of my only gripes was that too much time was spent trying to persuade the reader that social media is important to add to the marketing mix, when that's essentially the reason why anyone would pick up the book. Otherwise a decent read, and I wish I would have grabbed the newer edition.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse