Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2006 5:33:47 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2006 3:49:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2006 3:50:49 PM PDT
John Donovan says:
I'm confused... it's been listed at $10.20 since they posted their selling price...

You do understand the standard discount on Amazon is in the 30-40% region?

Two books you'd probably like and support, for example... House of War (37%) and Crusade, Chronicles of an Unjust War (32%) have a discount that matches (Crusade) or exceeds (House of War) that which The Blog of War has.

So, aside from displaying your seemingly personal animus towards milbloggers in general, and perhaps Blackfive in particular, what *is* your point?

From a popularity standpoint, you've published and sold how many books, or have a blog of your own with how many non-Google uniques?

Just curious, since this seems more like trash-talking than useful critique.

And, have you considered membership in the League of Disgruntled Majors? They take Captains, too...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2006 8:13:11 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2006 11:24:22 PM PDT
Rob says:
CPT Kevin:
If 53 soldiers from any other war other than the one you don't agree with would have tore out a few pages from their journals and put them together in a book, would you still display your ignorance and lack of intelligence online for the entire world to see? The sad thing about guys like you is that in 50 years you're going to come to the realization that there are some certainties in life 1. Jealousy and hatred get you no where, and 2. Don't bad mouth the men and women on the front lines while you're sitting at home comfortable and safe, basking in the fruits of their labor.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2006 6:01:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2006 6:30:51 AM PDT
John Donovan says:
Wow, that little group of people ruined the country? All power to the little guy! Okay, yeah, I'm snarking your hyperbole.

Heh. You might be surprised at the people in the group of contributors who are not fans of Rumsfeld, et cie. You might also be surprised to find there are a few in that group who were *not* fans of invading Iraq. Of course, for the soldiers among 'em, that became rather a moot point after the March Upcountry started, didn't it? Then it became the job, like it or not. Remember, the soldier, once he's volunteered, doesn't get to pick and choose which war he will fight, as Lieutenant Watada is probably about to discover to his rue.

The book isn't about making the case for the war, or arguing the conduct of the war - it's about the soldiers, their families, and the fighting of the war, and doesn't pretend to be anything else, really. It's simply about the war, and the people who are fighting it - whether in country or waiting for someone to come out of the box.

In a sense, you are making that argument that, from what I gather from what you've said here, only voices that protest the war and find fault with it, that speak only in negative terms and breathlessly condemn Bush on every page can possibly have any value and opinions which don't match your view should be shouted down (reflexively, we don't need to read no steenking book) if not outright suppressed.

Y'know, I too am a veteran of the Carter/Reagan/Bush/Clinton Army... and up through Bush 1 it was a fine Army for fighting a huge horde moving west out of Eastern Europe, or engaging and destroying pretty-looking 3rd rate wannabes like, well, let's face it - most standing Arab armies, however brave their individual soldier might be. Then, starting under Bush 1 and continuing under Clinton, we dismantled and tinkered with that Army - and since we didn't see any huge immediate threat, we tinkered and dilly-dallied and muddled our way through, as our national and service politics essentially demands we do in times of no obvious Damocle's Sword.

And thus, we got to go to war with the Army we had, vice the one which was just perfectly tuned for the job. Of course, we've *never* had that Army...

And I'm still up to my armpits in Bush 2's Army, where I work every day. And I'll tell ya Captain Kevin - the junior officers of this version are smarter and much better at their jobs than my peers of the early 80's - because they've been challenged in ways we never were. They've had to work in environments we never really did. And while yes, a lot of 'em are tired, and the equipment is particularly so - they still have better gear than we did, and they are much smarter, subtle, and experienced in it's use than we are. They're better warfighters than you or I ever were. The question of are they fighting this war in the best way - well, that's not the subject of the book, and is still rather a roaring subject of debate, isn't it?

Certainly, everybody can use a rest, and everybody would like to come home, and have their scariest moments be zero-illum brigade attacks down the central corridor at NTC or night jumps at the JRTC, or CALFEXes in Poland.

But you're putting a lotta stuff on a book that is simply by the people fighting the war and their families - and where most of the 'support' shown is for the soldiers doing their jobs, and awe at how difficult those jobs are.

That's all it is.

To draw a different parallel for you - the book is perhaps better compared to a book of the experiences of the First Responders, professional or volunteer, who waded and boated around New Orleans after Katrina - and not page after page after page of slamming Nagin, Blanco, Brown, Chertoff, and Bush. It's more about the people doing the job they had handed to them, one or two of whom might move on to be the Russ Honore's of the next disaster, than it is a bashing of the people who send them into harm's way.

Sorry the book isn't what you think it should be - I recommend you write that book yourself. Perhaps you'd like to put forth the effort that Douglas Brinkley did, and write The Great Deluge-equivalent for The Global War on Terror.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2006 6:56:13 PM PDT
I agree jealousy gets you no where.. .trust me, the last thing I am is jealous of these losers.

Hared gets you no where... an interesting comment from those who admire and hold in esteem those who kill for a living. But, having said that, I dislike, and yes, maybe hate, those who have ruined our Country.. the neocon warmongers of which this book writes.

I will bad mouth those who do bad deeds even if they are on the "front lines". For example, I would take pride if I were German in WWII and I "badmouthed" Nazis. If you were a German citizen in WWII, would you just blindly say "Support the troops because they are on the front line"?

You will also learn that you need to stand up for what is right one day regardless of whether it is popular or not. Would you have stood up for the Jews in WWII or would you have "supported the troops"?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2006 3:21:14 AM PDT
Kevin. Honey.

Comparing our soldiers in Iraq to the Nazis is stupid & extremely disrespectful. Ask the average Iraqi what they think and, unless they are of the minority = a terrorist/supporter of a worldwide Islamic caliphate, they'll tell you they're glad our fellas are there. We are standing up for the underdog, or the "Jews". Their version of Hitler is gone, thanks to American soldiers, and the Iraqis now have a chance to build a country where they don't have to worry about being gassed, or raped, or tortured.

The men & women in this book are standing up for what is right. You are the one who has right & wrong confused. It's a pity nobody sells moral compasses, 'cause yours done broke.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2006 6:57:00 PM PDT
DL says:
CPT Kevin, huh? Have you ever been a real Captain, or are you just one of those people who like to pretend you are hero by criticizing the real ones? From the looks of your profile picture, I'm guessing you have never passed a PT test in your life so you are either a fake Captain, or at least one that presents no military appearance. Tell you what, you stay on the couch and eat your twinkies, and leave the fighting to us, OK?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2006 8:10:58 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2006 5:02:16 AM PDT
nan says:
"Once Bush is out, we will fix this mess." Gotta love it. Who is "we"? What will you do? I'm still waiting for the Grand Plan to be unveiled. I guess we're supposed to wait til after the election to find out what "we" will do? As for me and mine, we will continue to support the troops, our brothers and sisters and moms and dads and uncles and cousins in arms. Ca-CHING - ya just caused the sale of another copy of this book. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2006 4:49:34 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2006 8:27:44 PM PDT
So...Kevin. Have you bothered to read the book yet, or are you still just going on spec?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2006
Latest post:  Oct 5, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Blog of War: Front-Line Dispatches from Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan
The Blog of War: Front-Line Dispatches from Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan by Matthew Currier Burden (Paperback - September 12, 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (27)