Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2013 3:42:41 PM PST
MacJunegrand says:
OK, I've never played any of the Monster Hunter games, but it looks like the demo assumes I have, since I have no idea of what and how to do it, and I never get an explanation.

The moment I start the demo I have to choose one of two missions, based on difficulty, choose a weapon and then I'm thrown in the middle of a map with a couple of sidekicks and instructions to kill some monster in a set amount of time. The instructions are, more or less: "You have 20 minutes to kill this monster". That's the only thing I'm told.

I have no idea what the buttons do (the first one I pressed consumed a potion, yay), what the map means, what's my position in it (until I move out of the area), I kill a couple of random beasts without any seeming consequence and when I run into a huge monster I have no idea if it's the one I'm looking for or not, but I realize in the middle of the battle that I chose the wrong weapon for it.

Anyway, I would have preferred if the demo had some kind of tutorial. Can anyone who has played any of these games before enlighten me a little? Does this game have some kind of story or is it just random "kill this monster" missions? Do we get tutorials in the full versions? Is there any customization/leveling? Do we get to practice? Can this game be played single-player or is the single-player mere practice for multiplayer?

Everyone seems to love this game, but I just don't understand what to do in it. Heck, I can't even tell what genre this game is supposed to be. Action? RPG? Strategy? Dating? (the dialogue of those weird sidekicks implies some strange things)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 5:14:35 PM PST
Moonzo says:
They left out the tutorial, because most newbies to MH would consider it boring, and because the typical MH tutorial takes a few hours. They just throw you into a hunt so you can get an idea of the real meat of the game.

The appeal of MH is in oddly enough, the hunting of said monsters. There really is no story to speak of other than little snippets about why nonexistent people want you to hunt each monster in the description of each quest. You find these quests in a central hub that you conduct all of your business in when you're not hunting, typically a village of some kind. There is no leveling or experience to speak of, succeeding in MH relies entirely on the skill of the hunter, but you enhance this with gear.

The basic formula is as follows: Kill monster -> get parts -> make equipment -> kill more monsters. There are 5 main pieces of armor for your character to mix and match that can be made from every single large monster in the game (assuming you have the materials and money required). When combined correctly, armor pieces can give the player a multitude of skills affecting health, stamina, power, etc. You can also use these same monster materials to create any of the weapon types that you were shown in the demo.

Your character is decently customizable, but you really don't ever see them because you'll always be covered in armor. The 3DS version does not have online multiplayer, but at least in Japan for the time being they've developed a patch to do it through the Wii-U. There is 4-player local coop however. If I were to put MH into a genre it'd have to be some sort of Action-adventure with farming/crafting elements. Keep in mind, this is an incredibly bare-bones description of the game, there's TONS more I could get into, but it wouldn't do you any good without the full game.

I've put in roughly 600+ hours into the series, and all I can tell you is be patient. MH takes a lot of time and effort in order to not only get better, but get something out of it. That said I wholeheartedly recommend the series, even though Capcom has made a slew of bad decisions lately with their other properties. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 5:26:11 PM PST
Phenom says:
Sorry you found the demo confusing. I kinda liked the demo, reminded me of the great times I've had hunting monsters on the psp and wii. It also reminded me of how much I used to hate the Plesioth -_-. Any who, there is no tutorial though I would've liked one myself since the controls are a bit different than on the psp, there is a manual though. When you go to open it it comes up as a sub menu on the bottom of the home screen. But the game is fun so I wouldn't give up on it entirely. It's just like the guy above me said so there's not really anything else for me to add lol. I will say that there are times you will see your customized character. Either special fights where you don't have armor or only certain pieces, or special pieces of armor that aren't really armor but they allow you to have more abilities. Or if you're crazy like me and my friends you'll just run into battle with no armor and try not to get hurt. Good times lol

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 5:26:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 5:28:15 PM PST
MacJunegrand says:
OK, thanks for the help. I just wanted to make sure the entire game wasn't as confusing as the demo was. I mean, a little screen with the purpose of each button would have made wonders.

In any case, the game sounds interesting by what you say. I'm just going to have to pay much more attention to the demo to see if I intend to learn anything.

Edit: I just read your post, Phenom. I had no idea there was a manual, but, to be honest, I didn't check. I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 11:29:23 PM PST
Gally Lines says:
Just tried the demo and remembered the good ol' days when my husband and I would play MH hours together. And when I say hours, I mean 200+ hours on each game to come out in the U.S. since the original on PS2. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but those who do like it love it because it's a challenging game with tons of rewards.

There's never really been a tutorial, which makes the learning curve somewhat high for new players, but it allows you to find your own play style because everyone is a little different. You just have to experiment with the buttons, which are different with each weapon. If you've played any of the PSP versions, the controls are somewhat similar; I found my muscle memory kicking in for great sword attacks and using items. There's always online guides to check out too if you're stuck.

The whole game is mission-based -- no story, no leveling, just dropping you immediately into an area with gathering quests to get to know the various terrain maps, then work your way up to bigger and badder monsters. All the materials you get are used to make better weapons, armor, and more items to help with quests, such as bombs, bullets, stamina-boosters, potions, and much more. It's designed so that the player is in control of deciding how much time they want to spend gathering/fighting during each mission and what they want to make afterwards. Fifty minutes may seem like a lot of time to go kill one mon, but you'll find yourself scrambling to get as many materials as you can in each map and leave the mon for the last 10-20 minutes of the mission.

Victory and defeat hinge on the timing of your attacks. You must learn and adapt to how each mon fights, so mastering several different types of weapons can be fun and worth the rewards. You can pick any weapon you want, really, until you get to the more specific water and air battles. Just experiment and have fun!

Now I have to decide whether to get the circle pad pro. I NEED to be able to change the camera while constantly moving around, and with the 3DS, having the D-pad as the camera and the analog stick above it for moving makes for very awkward finger positioning.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 4:22:27 AM PST
I agree with the OP. I am a newbie as well and it was very confusing. To add to it, as an owner of an XL unit, they need to release the XL circle pad pro immediately. I was pretty frustrated when I chose the probably the slowest guy in the game while facing a monster that would run and slide past me every 5 seconds. You should be able to turn on a dime for games likes this. I had really high hopes for this game since the buzz for it is crazy, but without the circle pad being released for the XL, I am going to wait it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 4:38:02 AM PST
Gally Lines says:
I agree that it's not the best demo, especially not for newcomers to the series. There's a lot more customization and such to the game that's not shown in the demo. But there isn't a "slowest" person; there are no character stats or leveling so all the characters are the same, but your attack, defense, and speed depends on the weapons, armor, and items you choose. Try different weapons, such as dual swords or long swords, which are faster than the others. Great sword is the slowest weapon, I think, but it's just as effective as any other weapon if you time your attacks and blocks. I actually prefer long sword and great sword over all others. You can also try moving around the camera as you move; using both at the same time will make sure you don't lose sight of what's behind you. The trick is getting comfortable with using the analog stick and the touch D-pad... Hopefully they'll release the CPP for the XL though, I think it'll make the game much easier to control.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:36:50 AM PST
J. Preble says:
The CPP for the XL is out in Japan and you can order it now off of amazon. I bought it and it works on the European and American 3Ds XL

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 2:32:48 PM PST
Does the circle pad work with Monster hunter?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2013 2:37:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 2:38:05 PM PST
MacJunegrand says:
The demo claims not to be compatible with the Circle Pad Pro. I don't know about the full game, though.

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 2:39:46 PM PST
Moonzo says:
The demo can't use the CPP because the demo is the Japanese demo just translated, which was released before the CPP was even available to the public. The full game uses the CPP.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 12:54:40 PM PST
G. Rios says:
I don't know if you noticed this or not, but there is actually a corner on the touch screen that displays the quest monster when you get it's attention. If you tap on it, whenever you center the camera, it will focus directly on the monster and this pretty much erased any need for me to manually fix the camera. Hope this helps and maybe saves you some money. =)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 8:53:59 PM PST
Phenom says:
That definitely was a cool feature for them to add. I'd still prefer to use the shoulder buttons to control the camera though. Fighting that Plesioth in the water was horrible lol

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:35:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2013 12:36:37 PM PST
GamersGame says:
Monster Hunter tutorials are notorious for leaving newbies to the series, like yourself, confused and turned away from the game. The large monster you faced, was the target. The monster you see on the select mission screen is the monster you'll be hunting, so keep that in mind. You have probably figured out the controls, but in case you haven't X is draw weapon, Y is sheath weapon, A/X are attacks, Holding L lets you select an item and pressing Y will use the item if your weapon is sheathed. B is dodge, and the directional buttons control the camera.

The meat of the game is actually not in the demo. Hunting a monster is fun, but the real fun is collecting the reward and using the materials you get from it to make better armor. You don't level up like in most RPGs, but you do get new equipment, and you can level up your armor or forge new armor. Eating steak/rations will increase your stamina bar's size, and using a potion or mega potion will heal you. Some of the real fun in monster hunter is "learning" the monster. Each monster has a series of attacks it performs and knowing when to dodge and when to strike is crucial. Most monsters can kill you in as little as 4 hits, while you'll need 100 or so to kill them, so always be on your guard and ready to sneak in a strike or two. The only real way to learn how to play is to play it yourself, though so get playing :D

Their is a story, but don't expect much because the only story in Tri was "A giant mosnter is causing earthquakes, so kill smaller monsters, and then go kill it when your strong enough.", and there's a village you can wander around (it's all of 2 buildings or so in Tri) and there's a Free Hunt mode. The "Quests" are sent to you buy "The Guild" and are replayable and are either Fetch Quests, Kill Quests or Capture Quests. Each quest has a small backstory, like a woman was ambushed in the desert by a pterodactyl and she want's you to go kill it.

Oh, and the full game is compatible with the Circle Pad Pro.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:50:32 PM PST
J. Heissler says:
So maybe here is a tip. I didn't know this until someone pointed it out. If you need some extra information, play the demo, then go to the home menu, and press the manual button on the bottom. A manual will pop up that details mostly weapon descriptions and how each one works.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 8:42:27 PM PST
J. Sherman says:
I've just taken down the first monster. I had to chase him, chuck bombs at him, and slash away at his backside but I did it.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:30:40 PM PDT
Bank92 says:
There really needs to be a Circle Pad bundle for this game. I tried the demo and the camera made me so mad.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 10:01:25 PM PDT
Phenom says:
I agree. At least with tri there was a bundle that included the classic controller. Ah well, I'll just have to pick one up when I pick up the game

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:29:12 AM PDT
GamersGame says:
Phenom, the bundle was an extra $20 for a black CCP, the same cost as getting it separate.

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 2:38:12 PM PDT
A. says:
The demo includes a manual, you can access it the same way you access every other manual. Tape the demo on the home screen once, then select manual. The manual explains everything.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about