5.0 out of 5 stars It works miracles...as the title says!
Published on June 13, 2010 by J. A. Thompson

1.0 out of 5 stars Brain Damage
Where does one start with pH miracle?

Published 17 months ago by Boyracer420

5.0 out of 5 stars It works miracles...as the title says!, June 13, 2010
This review is from: The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health (Paperback)
I think a good dose of skepticism is warranted with all health claims...Doctors and pharmaceutical companies included. I approached Dr. Young's work with a healthy dose of skepticism, but found that his approach lacked any suggestions that would be considered harmful (unlike the dangerous Adkins diet)...and that the best test was experiential...so I tried it for myself. I lost about 10lbs in one week, while never feeling hungry, and with no increased exercise. In addition my energy level skyrocketed and remained constant throughout the day! Although I did not have any particular health concerns to address, other than fluctuating energy level and a little extra weight...so my story is not miraculous...but certainly positive.

What is miraculous is my father's story...he had been 30-40 lbs overweight, suffered from a severe case of gout and arthritis to the point he could barely walk at times. He also had a brain tumor that impaired his speech had caused him to go blind in his left eye...which the surgeon said was a permanent loss and definitely not reversible with any know treatment. Upon beginning the program my father only made some minor changes...eliminating acidic liquids like coffee, soda and sugary drinks...and replacing them with purified alkaline water...a gallon a day. Within a month he had lost 30lbs, and had completely cured his gout and arthritis! He looked and moved like he was 15 years younger! With this miraculous success, he agreed to increase the amount of raw greens in his diet and reduce meat, and other acidic foods like sweets...this was very difficult for him to do...but he plodded forward and supplemented his diet with a green drink and an alkaline salt's drink as well. He also quit drinking and smoking at this time. In January of 2009 we went to visit Dr. Young to get expert guidance for implementing the PH Miracle program and how to optimize the program to restore pH balance and increase alkalinity in the body. Dr. Young had a wonderful Physician on staff to assist with the dietary program, he also provided access to his own raw "chefs" for instruction on preparing the various meals. While we were there my father underwent daily lymphatic drainage massage, hour long far infrared sauna sessions and colonic treatments for a complete spa experience and detoxification regimen. Within four days of being on a strict alkaline/PH Miracle diet my father partially regained vision in his blind eye(as stated before an irreversible condition according to his surgeon), and his speech (which had slowed down considerably due to the brain tumor and several operations) began to speak more quickly and fluidly without pause or searching for words. He was on the road to recovering his health completely! I am grateful for the brave work of Dr. Young, because in today's hostile regulatory environment, alternative wellness approaches are vilified and their proponents are often persecuted. Health freedom and freedom of speech regarding health matters in the USA is a myth...instead we have a health dictatorship of the AMA, FDA and FTC! I can say from first hand experience this dietary approach will create miracles in your health...and can likely reverse many, if not all chronic health concerns you may be suffering from....not the least of which is cancer. I know Dr. Young can't claim his diet cures cancer...or gout...or arthritis...or blindness...but I saw it do exactly those things. One day science will return to seeking the truth and will abandon the modern politicized, for profit "pseudo science" funded by big pharmaceutical companies; that is when the "heretics" of today will be shown to have been telling the truth...paradigm shifting truth! One day the discoveries of Dr. Young will be well known...and miracles like these will be commonplace. For your own sake, be open minded enough to try if for yourself...you will be shocked by the power of food to heal you.

As Mahatma Gandhi once said "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

"Everyone has a doctor in him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food."

Hippocrates
Greek physician (460 BC - 377 BC)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., September 28, 2010
A friend told me about this book when I was in Peru and having trouble with my stomach. I was on 7 or 8 perscription drugs and about as many supplements. I read this book and set out to follow Dr. Young's instructions. After 1-2 months I was off all of my medications. I had an eye doctor appointment after 3 months and he could find no sign of the Glaucoma I had been on medication for for over 4 years. I have been on this way of life for over a year now and have dropped over 45 pounds and am now at 175 - 180lbs (down from 223lbs when I started). It was a struggle at first to find new foods to eat but the benefits kept me on track. I am vegan now. Though the book doesn't call for that I found it fits my new lifestyle better. Thank you Dr. Young!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great informative book, an eye opener, September 29, 2010
I am now re-reading this book. From the first read I wanted to get the relevant information fast. Now I am studying it. I also read reviews and have found little that can refute the basic premise and technical opinions. There is some difference of opinion on cell formation but I don't think its significant, if Young is wrong, well no one is perfect. Nutrition as we know it, is not exact nor is it the same for everyone. We all vary slightly. To those whom have given more negative reviews I would ask, what did you expect?. Do not expect a glove fit of any nutrition book. I have recently been dignosed Diabetic. I have literally eaten tons of red meat and sugar, and both parents have died relatively young (father 60/mother 68 diabetic with heart complications). I thought I knew something about nutrition but my new quest, has brought me to this book and others. The PH Miracle is incredible and credible thanks to Dr. Young. Yes he sells suppliments too but I did not feel it was pushy and he offers multiple sources. I don't follow any recipe nor this book to the letter. I am following it fairly close because it aligns to what I believe is the best human diet, largely raw vegtibles and fruits, nuts, sprouts etc.., good water. This although radical I find palatable. Lots of salad, etc.. I love the subtle flavor now that I'm off sugar and cafine. Keep in mind I ate tons of red meats, chocolate, cheeses, you name it... I have lost 35 pounds with NO HUNGER, blood sugar well in the normal range most of the time, no more headaches, bloating, constant hunger,gas, frequency of urination, lethargy, shortness of breath. I'm full of energy, mind is clearer. I feel better than I can ever remember feeling. Make of this book what suits you. I hope it will at least convince you to purge your body of processed foods. To those that complain about Dr. Youg selling supplements, I ask what do you have to say for those that produce and sell sugar, MSG, white flour (and so much more garbage food) and lie in advertising calling their trash food, in so many words, good?

1.0 out of 5 stars Brain Damage, June 11, 2013
Where does one start with pH miracle?

As someone who has studied biochemistry and natural medicine for twenty plus years (and having grown up in health food stores my parents owned) I can say that this book is probably one of the worst books in the entire health food industry. So many glaring errors are immediately obvious to anyone who has spent even one hour in a biology or chemistry class.

I am writing this review because it concerns me how many people start up this diet and start feeling genuinely better --and then interpret this improvement in their health as PROOF that all "Dr." Young's theories are spot on. It is true that people will experience healing when switching from processed foods to a diet of heavy more greens and vegetables. However must of the book is totally UN-scientific drivel presented in a pseudo-scientific way, and of course most people reading it know very little about cell biology or biochemistry so they're very easily bamboozled.

The problem is that beyond this basic change from junk food to fruits & veggies the book has almost no value. Worse than that really, one will finish the book and know LESS about nutrition then when they started and will have to embark on a journey to correct the vast inaccuracies in the book. Truly I felt like it was brain damage while reading pH Miracle, like I had to "unlearn" years of biology and chemistry to even follow his tortured logic.

Here is an example: On page 55 "Dr." Young wrote this verbatim in his sidebar on probiotics and enzymes:

"Probiotics are transformations of what used to be healthy cells. There is no such thing as 'friendly' or 'healthy' bacteria. The presence of bacteria is evidence of an acidic environment. Ideally, the small and large intestines will be clean and free of all microforms. You don't want to be adding any in there!"

This is just one example of what made me laugh out loud when I read this. Human cells are not capable of "transforming" into prokaryotic cells! We are Eukaryotes! that is absolutely absurd and anyone on the FIRST DAY of biology class will understand that. Prokayotes and Eukaryotes are different kingdoms from different epochs of Earth's history. This is like saying that plants transform into animals. it's fairy tale crap. And of course "Dr." Young presents zero evidence, just like every other statement in the book. Then the ridiculous claim that the large intestine should be ideally sterile or near sterile? that is a dangerous contention, I sincerely hope nobody strives to wipe out their intestinal ecosystem.

From animal studies we know what happens when we sterilize the gut. Most animals won't live long after that, maybe a week or two before they die of infection for most primates. This is because the bacteria that Dr. Young seems to be completely unfamiliar with are actually a huge part of lymphocyte stimulation, so if you want activated B-cells and T-cells you must have lactic acid bacteria in the colon. It is true we don't want high volume north of the ileo-cecal valve however, meaning we don't want lots of bacteria in the small intestine. That would be SIBO, and that's definitely a pathology.

"Dr." Young has obviously never been in a microbiology lab. He constantly refers to "microforms" which is not a term used in biology. It is used in media, to describe microfilm and microfiche, etc. This should be the first clue (appearing within first 5 pages of the book) that something is amiss, and it is repeated throughout the book. I guess it is fairly representative of the quality of data.

Also as yet another example "Dr." Young demonstrates complete ignorance of phytic acid and phytates in general. Phytates are the enzyme inhibitors found in beans, grains, seeds, and legumes. Phytates make winter storage possible, but they also inhibit digestion of the protein and minerals. This is fact, not conjecture. Many, many, many studies have demonstrated this. Just look up "phytic acid" on wikipedia or google for many textbook discussions of this well described substance. Important to understand that societies that lived on grains and beans used soaking, sprouting, and leavening and fermenting to break down phytates and increase digestibility and nourishment.

"Dr." Young is so clueless he misspells it "physic acid" (both in the index and in the body of the text) and glosses over it as simply a great mineral chelator! This is frustrating, and a dangerous omission of the truth. There is no such thing as "physic" acid. What a moron.

I have personally seen hundreds of blood cell analysis. Live blood and dried blood. Dark field and light field. It is an interesting tool but it is certainly no substitute for training on basic science. It galls me that this man snows retailers and consumers into believing this gobbled y-gook.

Almost any health book is better than this one. Literally.

1.0 out of 5 stars You have to be kidding, February 23, 2013
Im a doctor and am very interested in natural alternatives. What he claims in this book sounds crazy and there is no scientific backing of his claims such as : Red blood cells turning into bacteria then yeast then mold ?? There are some indications that bacteria may live in an RBC but an RBC wont change into anything else. I find the basic premise of the book to be hilarious; If you eat an alkaline diet, you will alkalize the blood ! This is pure hogwash, the Kidneys and Lungs keep the blood pH inside a tight range with little room for error. This guy has a degree from a mail order university that has very scammy credentials, just check out Clayton College of natural healing on quackwatch and you will see that they list this author. Don't believe me, do it yourself. The reason his "Diet" probably seems to work is that it causes people to stop eating as much garbage as they do and encourages them to eat healthier, thats all. Many of our illnesses are due to food allergies that keep our body in a constant state of inflammation. Gluten is a prime culprit that is related to many disease states such as Depression ( Celiac dz) and Asthma. If you are sick, look into a food elimination diet to start your pathway to health. If you fall for TV preachers, the latest health food crazes or the fake political parties, this book is probably for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Give natural medicine a bad name, March 10, 2014
I study nutrition and I am open minded to both natural and alternative medicines as I do believe there are other approaches to maintain health than popping pills. I came to read this book as it was widely accepted in the alternative health community that an alkaline diet is good for health. I was shocked less than a chapter into the book. My internal alarm bell rang non-stop since I read his "theory". He believed there are microzymas in our body that would, wait for it, change to harmful bacteria! Bacteria can also be changed to yeast, to fungus, and to mold! Are you kidding me? He was quoting some old research in 18th century as his basis of the theory and said the scientific community overlooking the work as a loss! Either the author is still living in 18th century or he has not taken any biology course to obtain his so-called 'phd'. There is absolutely no basis to this microzymas and our cell definitely does not change to become bacteria no matter what conditions your body is in. As pointed out by many other reviewers, bacteria just do not change to yeast, fungus or mold. They are in different kingdoms! Anyone who has studied any biology in their life would have learnt this. Also conveniently, he did not mentioned virus as a cause to illness. I bet the research he copied from was too old to cover that.

I have to admit in order to cut my loss (mainly time), I skimmed through the next few chapters and spent more time to read the dietary suggestion. Some recommendation makes sense (not because it is alkalinizing), but a diet with no processed food, low sugar and lots of vegetable usually leads to better health than a diet of microwave pizza and soda. However, readers need to beware that some of his other suggestions may not even be correct within the scope of natural medicine. While tofu is good, I roll my eyes every time a book make it sounds like chinese and japanese eat it every single day. We don't. It is this kind of irresponsible promoters that make people overloading themselves with soy milk and other soy products which is not a healthy practice. Interestingly, he advised against fermented soy products which are commonly regarded as the healthy foods within the soy family. If he is quoting Japanese are healthy because of tofu, then I am afraid this is very misleading as they probably eat even more fermented soy products like miso. Also phytic acid offers certain health claim but it also reduces mineral absorption (well, he did not even spell the word correctly so I do wonder where he copied that information"). His advice on tomato is also perplexing, as he claimed in raw form it is alkalising. However, lycopene, the good stuff in tomato that may have anti cancer benefit, is more bioavailable after cooking.

All in all, some recommendations are ok but not for the reasons quoted in his book. There is a time and situation to ignore the critics, but this is not one of them. There are many books describing a good balanced diet with lots of vegetable and appropriate amount of protein, be it from meat or plants. What he described is not a healthy balanced vegan diet (it takes knowledge and careful planning to achieve that as only meat contain B12 and it takes careful food combining to obtain all essential amino acids). You may choose to go vegan because of other belief but don't make this book your reason as it is just full of B.S. Educate yourself before jumping to a vegan diet, and if you are committed to a vegan diet, study to find out how to do it properly. Make it an educated choice. As for this author, he is either deluded into thinking he is educated in healthcare or he is just a big fat liar who cannot even get the most basic facts right. It is this type of opportunists that taint the reputation of natural medicine.

I seldom write reviews but I have to warn others as this is simply the worse book I have ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely restrictive, time-consuming diet, September 11, 2012
I bought this book and avidly pursued its recommended alkaline diet for a full year about five years ago. This diet is a vegan, all-raw diet of fruits, vegetables, and limited types of nuts, seeds, legumes, and grains. By vegan I mean that meat, fish, chicken, dairy and eggs are not part of the diet. My experience of the diet was this:

It is incredibly time consuming and rather expensive to go on a raw-food diet. I thought many of the dishes I prepared tasted good (pesto was my favorite), and while on the diet I maintained normal weight and good health. However, I already was at normal weight and excellent health when I started the diet. I was merely trying the diet as an interesting experiment. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth all the effort and self-denial. I now eat instead, and have ever since I went off this diet, about 10-20 one-half-cup servings of fruits and vegetables (fresh and/or frozen) per day in a mostly vegetarian diet, and I feel no different than I did on the strenuous and strict alkaline diet. That is, I still have normal weight, high energy, sleep well, and have no health problems.

Who might be interested in going on this diet? Other than "health nuts" like me, I would guess people trying to lose weight or with serious illness.

In the case of most people trying to lose weight, in my experience (personally and observing friends, family and acquaintances), any increase of fruits and vegetables and lessening of intake of junk carbohydrates will cause an immediate loss of weight--and a sustained one if you keep it up over time. Urging people to do more than that who have spent a lifetime consuming unhealthy carbs in the midst of a culture that incessantly glorifies them in advertisements, TV and movies, and in every restaurant and grocery store one enters, is setting 99.9% of them up for inevitable failure. One has to have the personality of an ascetic (someone who derives actual pleasure from self-denial) to truly succeed with this diet and maintain it over time.

What about people with severe health problems, such as heart disease or cancer? Should they go on a diet this extreme? Well, research has shown for many decades that a vegan diet such as that proposed by Dr. Dean Ornish can have a very positive effect on one's health--and it is far, far less restrictive than this diet and therefore much easier to maintain. I know from personal experience there are endless scrumptious cooked dishes one can quickly prepare that are vegan. But there are not, in my experience, endless, delicious raw-food meals one can easily prepare.

I rate this book as follows:
Clarity of writing: 5
Description of how to follow the diet: 5
Ease of following the diet: 1
Cost/benefit ratio of loss of time and effort compared to health gains received (especially in contrast to the loss/gain ratio of other, much simpler vegan diets I've tried): 2
Overall: 3

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Meant To Help People--Take It Or Leave It, November 27, 2010
What a refreshing and outstanding subject matter this book brings to light. I had the privilege in October to meet Dr. Young and his wife at their facility in Southern California. To meet patients and clients who have been treated and helped by them was touching and even further testimony to the power of having an alkaline diet. Dr. Young's specialty is your blood, as he states everything you could ever care to know about a person's health can be discovered in their blood. His analogy is that people are like fish and their blood is like the water in the fish tank. When people get sick modern medicine likes to treat the "fish" but not the water that the fish is in. This is where the contents of this book come into play: when you eat a lot of healthy vegetables (alkaline foods) you improve your fish tank and therefore you (the fish) become more healthy.

This book will explain how in detail. You don't have to like what you read, you don't have to believe it if you don't want to, you are not forced to buy any of his products if you don't feel necessary, in other words you can take it or leave it. The amount of negative energy people have put into this page griping about credentials, pulling out claims of bacon-loving grandma's, talking about scams, ect sort of blows my mind and also makes me sad that such wonderful, positive, healthy information is met at times by such dark forces but alas I guess such is life. I can testify from personal experience that to do such a plan will transform your life for the better, and there are plenty of witnesses I have met to back this claim up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Holy stuff guys, May 10, 2013
This book, the concepts and ideas behind it are simply bad science. They are outdated theories that have since been disproven. Yes, a healthy plant based diet is going to make you healthier when compared to the standard American diet. However may I point out the idea of not eating fruit is somewhat silly if avocados are considered good, I'll let you think on that one a minute. Your blood has a very narrow ph range that is considered healthy. To high or two low it's deadly. It has less than a 1 point range. The lack of science in this practically makes my eyes bleed. And no, bacteria can't be viruses, and it can't be mold or fungus. They are totally unrelated. Prokaryotes are not eukaryotes which are not viruses, etc. Please get your science in the 21st century guys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great information to a point, January 6, 2014
I was really excited about this book and was reading like a mad woman. UNTIL they hit the Idaho potatoe!! Well let me just say if they have no clue about the Idaho potatoe, it makes me question the rest of the book. Being a Southern Idaho girl and all, let me inform you that IDAHO POTATOES are NOT stored for years before they make it to your kitchen. They rot within 6-9 months no matter how our farmers store them. Our cellars(not SILOS) are empty by summer. So as for me, I truly question if these authors know what they are talking about if they do not do their research before writing. I realize potatoes may not be alkaline food but DO NOT state something that makes you look ignorant!!! I will continue to read and test the theory. Any diet high in veggies, water and complex carbs will be good for a body, but I also question the low protein. Low protein means no protein for your muscles which is not good for any one trying to raise metabolism and lose weight. Just my redneck opinion(while standing next to my silo full of rotted potatoes, chewing a grain stalk!)

The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health by Robert O. Young (Paperback - July 2, 2010)
$17.00 $13.15