Customer Discussions > Dead Space (PlayStation 3) forum

The stupid asteroid part

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2009 1:22:11 PM PST
Okay, I am at the asteroid part and I am really getting frustrated. I've died like thirty times trying to clear that and I am nowhere near getting to the end. Does anyone have any tips on how to beat that? or cheats for that matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 4:31:33 PM PST
It took me about 30-40 tries to get past it. The smaller asteroids don't take up as much time as the larger or fast moving ones do. I would shoot at the large and fast ones first and than concentrate on the small ones. I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 9:02:47 PM PST
K. jacobs says:
lol. i had trouble with the one before and after that (the zero gravity meteor shower) and launching the beacon...
good luck =)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 9:14:10 AM PST
That part frustrated me too. I got nowhere until I focused exclusively on destroying the ones in the center. They do more damage than the ones on the side do. Also I only fired with one barrell at a time until things got really intense for brief periods. That way the barrell doesn't overheat as fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 9:29:31 AM PST
Lance Ortiz says:
Has anybody gotten the the Trophy/Achievement for getting over 50% hull integrity? I came close once but no luck. This is like one of the the last Trophies I need to get. So frustrating!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 1:30:19 PM PST
Um no. not even close. I've played the game twice and both times my integrity was at 2. What is the significance of earning trophies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2009 1:51:46 PM PST
Lance Ortiz says:
Trophies(PS3) and Achievements(Xbox360) are just an incentive to I guess get the most out of the game. They are tracked with your online profile and you can compare them against other people online to see what they have done. Just a fun thing you can share with the online comunity.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 6:26:20 AM PST
Cheezes says:
Honestly you just have to keep your fingers crossed that you get a light barrage. I must have died like 30 times or so myself to the point where I stopped playing for a couple days before retrying. Analog sticks are a nightmare for aiming random fast moving objects in anygame. I bet the PC community got past this level the first time due to 100% aim rate of an optical mouse. Just keep at it and you will succeed at some point. MAKE SURE you hit all the big asteroids at least.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 9:44:47 PM PDT
M. Roth says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 27, 2009 10:55:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2009 10:57:06 PM PDT
frostbite says:
I doubt that anyone will read this, being that it is now June and this discussion started in January, but I just played the game. I died about five times in this spot before realizing that even this ship has secondary weapons. Hope it helps someone.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 8:07:11 AM PDT
J1M_288 says:
Haven't played it yet but thanks for the tips everybody!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 7:06:03 PM PST
M. demeo says:
Secondary weapons....mysterious...more details?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2009 1:20:55 PM PST
Matt M. says:
Yes, I must echo M. demeo's question and ask what the ship's secondary firing mode is.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 12:20:50 PM PST
There are only 4 regular buttons and 4 bumper buttons on a controller. 1 is already mapped for primary weapon. How mysterious could it be? The in game hint actually hinted you the first time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 12:26:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2009 12:29:14 PM PST
Matt M. says:
I'm not sure about M. demeo, but my actual question wasn't which button to use but what happens when you trigger the secondary firing mode for this particular weapon. For example, does it shoot a constant beam instead of bursts or something like that? (I doubt it would, since I'd imagine it would overheat far faster, but it was the only thing I could think of at the moment.)

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 11:22:13 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 11:43:53 AM PST
Matt M. says:
*sigh* I'm well past that portion of the game, and I'm not about to play through the first third of it again just to see what happens when I press a different button during a stage that annoyed the bejesus out of me the first time. I guess I'll just try a Google search, since you only seem interested in behaving like a smug so-and-so.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 9:44:53 AM PST
ZZrider says:
I was loving this game until I reached this part. I can't get past the asteroids no matter what I try. I played every day for a week and must have died 75+ times. I finally gave up and the games collecting dust. I was hoping for a level skip but no luck there. I hope they don't add that to Dead Space 2.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 10:53:57 AM PST
I played that part about 15 times the first time and gave up in frustration, I kept yelling at Hammond to hurry. I then played it about 10 times the next day and got passed it.

When I replayed I saved right before that part and kept replayed until I got over 50% for the trophy. I probably played it about 20-30 times until I did it. I have all the trophies and that was the hardest for me to get.

You just hope for a light barrage and single shoot the fast ones and large ones as quickly as possible. I think that is about the whole technique.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 8:22:29 AM PST
I too was frustraded with the asteroid part but finally cleared it after 30-40 times. The part that I'm stuck on now is a little after that there is a room you walk in that has a broken power unit to the left (that I assume you have to fix in order to open the door). Anyways there are two of those BIG creatures that regenerate and it seems like about 10 other monsters that are all trying to kill you at the same time. I've been killed there about 50 times now and can't figure out what the heck you're suppose to do. I have my original gun with two power upgrades and an ammo upgrad the "line gun", the burst gun and the useless flamethrower with no ammo. All my other weapons have full ammo. What's the trick?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010 10:10:14 AM PST
Matt M. says:
Are you referring to a section of the infirmary? I only remember there being one regenerating creature in that one (although I played it on medium difficulty), but to get past it you had to kill all the non-regenerating creatures. After doing so, Daniels will figure out how to override the quarantine and let you out. When I played it, I pretty much just kept running in circles, pausing only to take potshots at whichever monsters were closest. The line gun is pretty handy for quickly dismembering the regenerating things, and while they're putting themselves back together, you can try to take out the others.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 11:18:04 AM PST
When you walk into this room, immediately to the right there are 2 line gun ammos. If you look left (across the room) there is a door with a power pack thingy that looks to be malfunctioning to the right of the door. Straight ahead of you is another door that is locked across the room.

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 8:04:43 PM PDT
ZZrider says:
Well I finally made it past the asteroids after much frustration. I've owned the game since release day and it took forever to get past it. The problem is I didn't do anything different, it just happened. It didn't take any skill, just pure luck which makes the level even more pointless. One thing for sure is I'll never replay the game.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 5:02:27 PM PDT
AZ Gardener says:
I found if you shoot both weapons (I think this is what he meant by secondary weapons, just the other trigger that can shoot a 2nd fire at the same time) at the big ones, and single shots at the smallest ones, it goes a lot smoother.. also don't go crazy with the fire until there's a lot of them on the screen. take your time and aim otherwise

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 11:46:24 AM PST
i second all the posts that said they got frustrated at this part of the game and basically quit. i was playing dead space every day until i reached this section, tried it about 20 times, got annoyed and haven't touched it since. yesterday i met one of the game developers and he told me to go back and try it again because that's only about 1/3 of the way through the game, so maybe i'll fire up the ps3 again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2009
Latest post:  May 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space (PlayStation 3)
Dead Space (PlayStation 3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (384)