5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS for backing up multiple types of computers
Published on June 26, 2011 by Tech Ed

1.0 out of 5 stars This NAS is full of FAIL
Like the other reviewer, my N4200 has failed. Mine lasted about a year, but now repeatedly fails to find Drive #2.

Published on September 14, 2012 by Reid Wightman

1.0 out of 5 stars This NAS is full of FAIL, September 14, 2012
Reid Wightman (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thecus 4-Bay Dual-DOM Network Attached Storage N4200 (Personal Computers)

In one week, my N4200 chewed through 4 hard disks from 3 different vendors (Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital). Each time I replaced drive I would rebuild the array. About ten minutes after each rebuild completed, Disk #2 would drop offline again and require replacement.

I think Thecus just lost another customer here. I tested each of the 'failed' hard disks on a PC and they all check out fine with the vendor's tools. I think after this fiasco I'll build my own NAS up with a decent case and real motherboard. I only hope my crummy N4200 holds my data together while my parts come in the mail...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS for backing up multiple types of computers, June 26, 2011
Great for backing up Windows (via SMB/CIFS) and Mac (AFP + Time Machine) computers. I have not yet tried NFS for my Linux and BSD systems. I have 4 drives in a RAID 5 configuration. Computers are connected via a wired 1Gb network. I have not measured the transfer rate but it is so much faster than my previous solution (computer running Windows Server with hardware RAID 5) that I am pleased. Since this NAS supports the Apple Filing Protocol, I have house all of my backup data in one place.

This product support apps that allow you to use it as a web server, email server, etc. I have not tried any of those. It might by OK for small sites; anything too busy may not have sufficient performace.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cables are bent in such a way that the stress causes them to give poor signal quality, December 4, 2014
BUYER BEWARE!!! READ BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!!!

So this unit, I believe suffers from a design flaw and not IO errors.

What you have to do is open the unit and remove the fan. it presses against the SATA cables
Then loosen all of the SATA cabling from the harness or zip tie..
Flatten the SATA cables where they are mounted to the backplane internally!

The cables are bent in such a way that the stress causes them to give poor signal quality.
Once you have leveled out the SATA cables i would just mount the fan externally or replace it with a Fan that is not so thick,
as it presses pretty hard on the SATA array causing failures..

Alternatively, you can purchase a new set of cables that don't fit so tight. I parted them out over the internet for under 20$ save some time and frustration and give these methods a try.

I have had ALL the issues everyone gives bad reviews for. dropping drives, failed raid, crashing etc..
After a few months (cross my fingers) I have had 0 ZERO issues, and it now performs like a champ...
Don't forget to boost the ram to 2 or 4GB. Massive performance boost.

I am using this as an ISCSI target and get 80MB/s average on a good day with the stars aligned the right way.
I am also using load balancing so make sure to use BOTH LAN ports to speed up transfers!

If you own this model try this before you toss and or have it serviced.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many functions!, August 9, 2013
The nas box on itself it's worth 4 start. Thecus provides all of the essential tool to get the job done. It's the third party modules that steal the show. They community is constantly active with new updates and modules from all over the place. Host mumble, done, want a minecraft server you can do it here, email clients, a plethora of ftp clients and downloaders. If you get one of these make sure you check their third party forums here: [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars After 6 months, repeated IO failures & NO support from Thecus, January 15, 2012
I bought this unit back in May 2011. Added 4 WD enterprise drives (and purchased 2 as "spares" in case one failed). I was looking forward to the RAID features, as well as the email & web server. Goal was to operate as a "live" backup system for my network computers & allow me to upload photos from remote locations over a VPN connection.

In November, I received my first of several IO failures on a drive. Unexpected, but I swapped the drive out with a spare. Immediately after rebuilding RAID, a second drive failed. I tested the removed drives using WD's program - no problems, and no bad sectors. I installed one drive in a desktop computer, and it's run fine since.

Opened a support ticket. 48 hours later, I got a request to submit the config file. I submitted it, and I heard nothing. I also searched for other users having a problem - and found a LOT of comments about such failures on Thecus' own forums. Those suggested bad cables in the unit. I opened the unit and reseated the cables - the system came back up and operated OK.

4 weeks after submitting the data requested by Tech Support, I asked for a response. The response noted that Drive 2 had been replaced and "often" the "adjacent" will show failure when one goes (pretty lousy for a RAID NAS). I noted the forum comments (including some from users who had the cables replaced by Thecus) and they noted that they "don't replace cables".

The unit threw IO errors on Drive 2 again last night (that's the new drive), and after a shutdown it came back up showing a good drive. Tried to rebuild RAID, 8 hours later drive 2 failed again. Again, I replaced the drive and again 8 hours later the replacement drive #2 failed. This ain't a drive problem, this is a problem with the unit.

So now I'm stuck with a $500 paperweight (plus the $$$ cost of enterprise drives). Thecus isn't responding to support requests, and when they do finally get around to it the support is worthless.

Don't buy ANY Thecus product. They don't work, there are design flaws, and the manufacturer doesn't provide adequate support.

Thecus 4-Bay Dual-DOM Network Attached Storage N4200