5.0 out of 5 stars A greatest hits that could have taken it to the limit
Having read David Fuller's review, I couldn't agree more...buy the gold disc! Worth every penny!
This album has, as of November 1999, become the biggest seller of all time: 26 million copies worth. Thriller is in second place at 25 million. And it's easy to see why. This perfectly captures the Eagles early years of country rock, before the Eagles turned all out...
Published on January 24, 2000 by Brian O'Marra

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, But You Can Do Better
The music here is easily worth 5 stars. But this outdated and extremely incomplete collection isn't.

Sure, in 1976, this wasn't a bad idea. But in 2010, you would be much better off buying the 2-CD set "Very Best of the Eagles." It spans their entire original period, 1971-1980, and includes all the big hits. This album seems like a budget release in this...
Published on November 22, 2010 by Jesse Ross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 442 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles Soar, August 17, 2001
This is the best Eagles album you can own. My favorites are "Desperado" and "Lying Eyes." Eagles were one of the greatest rock groups ever. They made the country rock sound all their own. Volume 1 of their greates hits is their younger, fresher selves, hungry to succeed, not yet worn out, not yet overwhelmed by stardom. Have a peaceful easy feeling listening to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagles Fan, January 21, 2013
FGW (Naples, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 (MP3 Music)
The Eagles are a great group for people of any age. Impulse purchase. Saw it, price was right, bought it, very pleased with my purchase..

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakthrough sounds, August 10, 2012
This classic band got alot of play on the radio in New York City when it was released in mid 1970s. Their music was so breathtaking beautiful and relevant that it would stop conversations cold while in the car. Their musical legacy was a gift then and now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagles fans "must have", June 23, 2012
Listen to this album and you will begin to sense that most of the songs have a country feelin. Others use powerful bacground music to "power through. This album is classic rock at its early beginnings.
Also, if you're a classic rock buff, this album is essential for your collection. In this greatest hits collection, there are only ten tracks to listen to, but these classic songs do not wear out on you. This collection also defines the early Eagles' creativity and diversity in their music. It shows Glenn Frey and Don Henley as two of the best songwriters in classic rock history.
The album has classic rockers such as "Take It Easy" (-recently chose as best song to cruise to) and "Already Gone". Wonderful relaxing classics consist of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling", "Best Of My Love", and "Tequila Sunrise". The songs are so soothing, they almost take you to another place where one can relax and watch a sunset (or "sunrise") while sipping a strong drink. "Take It To The Limit" is a beautiful collaboration of the bands vocal talents and songwriting. The song that strikes me the most on this album, though, is "Desperado". Every time I listen to this song, I get moved. . The song moves me with such original lyrics, absolutely incredible singing by Don, and flawless production. Gotta have tis album.

4.0 out of 5 stars An album worth owning!, June 21, 2012
Andrew Rapp (Shippenville, Pa USA) - See all my reviews
I just received this on vinyl today - it sounds amazing and brings back a lot of great memories. My parents owned this on vinyl when I was a kid, and I've since owned it on CD (the CD mysteriously disappeared quite some time ago).

You can't beat this new high quality vinyl pressing- it's 180 gram and has been "Pressed with more care than ever", as stated on the attached sticker (located on the plastic covering). The only downside to this is a lack of artwork on the record sleeve- instead, you get a plain clear plastic sleeve, which does it's job. If you own a turntable, then you definitely should get this best seller on vinyl- you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "GREATEST OF HITS", July 9, 2009
The "Reviewer" "Luie" (Hialeah Gardens, Fl.) - See all my reviews
This is the greatest of the "Greatest Hits" Albums by any rock band! Even though they are on the border of country, these tunes are the old California rock of the 70's and this is one to have in your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper!, December 15, 2008
Gary Peterson (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I very seldom buy "greatest hits" albums. Usually, if I like an act I already have much of their music and a greatest hits album becomes somewhat redundant. I've always liked the Eagles, but, strangely enough, I had none of their records. So, when "Eagles - Their Greatest Hits:1971-1975" LP was released in the mid-seventies, I bought it in an instant. It was a great, great album and I all but wore the LP out. When the CD version came out in the 80s, I bought it. I only very seldom buy CDs of albums I already own on vinyl, so it's a high compliment. Now, I lent the CD out and it wasn't returned so I'm faced with the third purchase. Grown. Well, the album is good enough that I'll do it!

Everything about this album is outstanding. It's soft and easy going, yet it's somewhat edgy. It's humorous. It's all acoustical and the sound is great. The lyrics are outstanding. The voices and harmonies are excellent. Personally, my favorite songs are "Take it Easy," "One of these Nights," "Lyin' Eyes" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" but all of the songs are exceptional. They call it California Country Rock, but it really defies classification. I'd say it's mostly like old fashioned western music I knew as a kid but with more modern lyrics. Whatever you might categorize it as, it's exceptional music and the CD merits playing over and over. Let's put it this way, I own about 400 LP/CDs and if I were forced to give up all but 50, this Eagles' CD would be one that I'd save. It's a keeper.

Gary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars great memories, September 5, 2008
I loved this CD. Brought back some fantastic memories. The songs still sound great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding compilation, July 23, 2008
The Eagles still remain as one of my favorite bands (along with Pink Floyd, ELO, Allman Brothers, and Led Zeppelin). Every song on here is great. Witchy Woman, and Already Gone are my two favorite songs of theirs

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Country-Rock, July 26, 2006
The Eagles have a reputation that groups them the greats of rock and country-rock. This reputation comes in spite of the fact that the Eagles released but seven albums in their two incarnations, six of which they released between 1972 and 1979. Their last album was "Hell Freezes Over," an orphan released in 1994.

The first four Eagles albums provided enough material for the first of six collections, titled "Their Greatest Hits." This album covers the Eagles from 1971 to 1975, the pre-Joe Walsh years. In general, their music during these years had a country flavor, flavored with rock influences. I consider the Eagles of these first four albums to be one of the first true country-rock bands. I also think that Don Henley and Glen Frey brought to this genre a style and talent that reminds me of the Beatles in their middle years.

This album captures quite a range. "Desperado" is probably the most overtly country in style. "Witchy Woman" has a rhythm that seems to me to be influenced by Native American music. Other songs move further away from country, but still show their country influences; examples are "Already Gone" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling."

You can also detect elements of the Eagles that would be more strongly manifested in "Hotel California" and "The Long Run." "Witchy Woman" has a strong electric guitar lead. "Already Gone" also has a dominant lead guitar, which at that time was more associated with rock. The latter song could have gone on "The Long Run," an album that moved the Eagles away from country flavored music.

I think the Eagles are highly regarded because of the quality of the songs created by the group and because of the influence they had on other country-rock groups. They showed others that country and rock could be successfully married and that people would buy such music when it was performed well. They also showed others that the same group could create a song that would be considered rock, and on the same record have a song with strong country influences. Along with a number of other groups in the 60s and 70s, the Eagles were groundbreaking in their own way.

It's easy to look back on this music and put it down because 30 years later it is no longer fresh, new, or original. There have been hundreds of imitators of the Eagles. However, the Eagles were one of the first, and in many ways, were the first. Those who came later imitated the Eagles and performed similar music so many times that after a while the impact of the Eagles appears to have been diluted. In truth, that impact occurred when these songs were released, and are part of the continuing evolution of music. Try to put yourself back in the early 70s when this music was released. It was great then; fresh, innovative, and young. The jungle beat of disco, techno-pop, the discordant chords of Nine Inch Nails were all yet to be, and the Beatles had only broken up recently. I will always remember this music for how unique it was when released.

This particular version of the Eagles' "Greatest Hits" is an import. There are several variations of this album available, so I recommend you research the various versions and their price and then select the version that meets your needs.

If you like what you hear on the radio of the Eagles then you will enjoy this CD. I prefer the albums to this collection, because I think the albums have more music equal to the music on this CD, but this collection is a good introduction to the early Eagles. Enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 442 | Next ›