5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource
Published on March 10, 2011 by L. Kuntz

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Book; Poor Execution
Overall I enjoyed reading this book; or what I got through of the book. The spelling and grammar errors are extremely annoying and honestly, what made me lose interest in completing the book. As a new Mechanical Engineer it was interesting and gratifying hearing a senior Engineer's perspective on job hardships and thought processes. Like most ME grads from California it...
Published 14 months ago by Sydneymog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, March 10, 2011
I purchased this book for my 15 year old son who is interested in becoming a roller coaster engineer/designer. He has read the book from cover to cover more than once and has really enjoyed it. The book is well written, in a conversational style and is comprehensive, giving specific, detailed information based upon the author's long term career experience within theme parks . My son feels this book is an excellent introduction into the field and has given him a good base of information to proceed in developing his career goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very smart book about designing theme park attractions, January 18, 2011
I just finished reading Theme Park Design: Behind the Scenes with an Engineer by Steve Alcorn, a very smart book about designing theme park attractions. Have you ever looked at a ride and asked yourself "how did they do that'? Have you ever wanted to design theme park attractions? This book takes a look at the people who design theme park attractions and what their specific roles and responsibilities are. After reading, you'll know the answers to such questions as how a Show Control Engineer differs from a Ride Control Engineer.

The nice thing about Theme Park Design is that anyone can read it. Even though it is written by an engineer the book can easily be understood by anyone. The only math equation isn't encountered until page 182 and shouldn't be very hard to understand thanks to Steve's excellence explanation (P=IV or power equals current times voltage).

This book is a great starting point for anyone interested in pursuing a career in theme park design. Designing a ride includes a wide range of individuals with different skill sets. Reading Theme Park Design can help you understand what role you would like to fulfill and the skills you need to acquire.

Theme Park Design includes some great tidbits about actual attractions and park operations: Disney...runs a department devoted to figuring out how many guests will be in each park at a major Florida resort on everyday for the next five years. Steve talks a lot about his work on Epcot getting many of the attractions, which were technologically advanced at the time, ready for opening day. (I'm sure there are even more details in another book by Steve, Building a Better Mouse: The Story of the Electronic Imagineers Who Designed Epcot, which I am now thinking about picking up a copy.) It's these little pieces of information that make this book such a great read.

My only real complaint is that, as an engineer myself, I would've loved to see even MORE in-depth details. I want to read more about the specific numbers and formulas used and the reasoning behind design decisions that were made. I don't just want to know the facts, I want to know WHY. Also, there seemed to be a surprising number of spelling and grammatical errors.

Overall, Theme Park Design contains fascinating and detailed information about theme parks and how they go from a blue sky concept to reality. It's a very easy read which will sometimes have you laughing out loud. Remember: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is broke, it better be fixable in one night." If you're looking into a career in the theme park industry or just want to learn more about how rides are designed then this book is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very educational...and funny!, October 29, 2010
If you are interested in Theme Parks, read this. I am not an Engineer and did not feel like it was over my head. I loved the behind the scenes stories! Having been to the Disney parks hundreds of times (was there for Epcot's opening day!) I've always wondered what goes on behind the curtains. (Also read "Building a Better Mouse.") Both very fun reads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Theme Park Design: Behind The Scenes With An Engineer (Kindle Edition)
I like this book for 2 reasons. 1: It told me lots of stuff I wanted to know about rides. 2: It is funny! Plus if you are a prime member, you can borrow it free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Of all my Disney books this is one of my favorites, December 11, 2013
I have always loved Walt Disney world and especially the slow show rides like pirates and haunted mansion. Growing up I have gathered many books and articles looking for real behind the scenes information and it was very scarce. The books title is exactly what is inside: Theme Park Design: Behind The Scenes With An Engineer. It’s behind the scenes stories and firsthand knowledge on what really happened for instance when Epcot was being constructed. It’s NOT a technical book on how to construct your own roller coaster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Chatting in a Coffee Shop, December 11, 2013
The allegorical method the author utilizes in this book gives it a refreshingly personal touch. His enthusiasm for his work shines through on every page, as he brilliantly illustrates the nuts and bolts of the industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars like sitting and listening while the author tells you all about it, December 10, 2013
When I go to the parks and look around I always wonder what it really took to make it happen. This book answers a lot if not all of those questions. It gives a new respect for what it really takes to make a theme park happen. One real surprise is the easy reading style, much like sitting and listening while the author tells you all about it. Just the thought that it's engineering can scare you off but not this book! This is one gift I can't wait to give my Grandson who is beginning college with engineering as his major.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, May 14, 2013
James Ackerson (Laramie, WY United States) - See all my reviews
The author knows his material, and has a great way of presenting it. Very humorous, and nicely written. Not an engineering text, but more of an insider guide as to what goes into designing and rolling out a theme park attraction. Two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind the Scenes, January 16, 2013
Casual, but funny, mood. Alcorn takes you behind the scenes from the engineer's perspective. One of my all-time favorite books on Walt Disney World!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good book, September 6, 2012
I just started reading this book and it looks very interesting, I have always been a fan of disney parks and theme parks in general, this has a lot of interesting information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›