4.0 out of 5 stars How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves
Published on May 26, 2008 by Erika Alfaro

3.0 out of 5 stars I think this is a good book, but the author keeps making you feel ...
I think this is a good book, but the author keeps making you feel that you really can't do the training yourself, and you need to get a better dog, a professional trainer, and maybe it will come out OK.
Published 8 days ago by TexasJoe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves, May 26, 2008
This review is from: How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves, Taking Advantage of Early Condtioned Learning (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Ms. Bailey's approach to training gun dogs, especially the emphasis that she places on conditioning instead of formal training. Ms. Bailey's conditioning techniques allow you to train your dog without the dog realizing it. Her book and its methods are only intended for puppies to 1 year old dogs. She defers you to other books and techniques to use for training your adult dog. However, I feel that if you use the techniques she has stated in her book with your puppy/adolescent dog, you will be well on your way to having not only a great bird dog, but also a great family friend that is well mannered and socialized.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Training Book I own, August 18, 2011
Quite simply, this is the best book I've ever read on the subject of training gun dogs. Joan follows a logical progression of learning challenges, just don't fall into the trap of thinking you and your dog have to be precisely where "the book says" you both need to be at X point in time. I don't believe that was Joan's intention, to be that exacting in the timeline, as she certainly knows and points out that each dog learns at a different rate, for any number of reasons.

Still, the sequence of steps to be taken along the way are most effective. Teachings in other references actually help get the dog ready to start learning between their 5th and 10th week. When they get coupled with "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves", even the most novice owner/trainer will find their task to be less like work and more like fun as you watch the dog learning faster and deeper.

Now if only we could get her to write books like this for parents and teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for bird dog owners, December 1, 2008
This book was one of two recommended to me by a member of the local NAVHDA chapter. Being a bird dog novice, I had contacted them for advice on how to condition my German Shorthaired Pointer for possible field work. It reads very well and makes a lot of sense, even if you are new to hunting breeds and the lingo of hunting sports. It emphasizes the importance of "conditioning" (as opposed to actual "training" which comes later) the puppy and young dog for its future job, and describes very clearly how to go about it. It also gives advice on what NOT to do to prevent having to retrain the dog later on.

Regardless of whether or not you want to hunt with your dog, I recommend this to anyone who is getting a gundog puppy. It is a lot of fun to strengthen your pup's instincts in a gentle way, and fascinating to watch your dog grow mentally before your very eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Puppy Instruction manual, June 6, 2010
Joan Bailey provides a great step-by-step guide for getting a new pup off to a great start--not just with hunting, but all aspects of owner/dog relationship during the critical first year. Whether you're new to having a versatile gun dog or think that you're experienced (like me) the book will help you avoid mistakes and have a great time developing your pup's potential. I found the material on house and yard conditioning to be equally valuable as the hunting advice.

I followed the book pretty closely with my two wirehaired pointing griffons, and I'm pleased with the results. I learned about the book from several breeders, who recommended it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one helped, November 24, 2008
Writen for the average dog owner who would like to hunt their dog. Concise and full of easy to implement tips and strategies, this is the book for thsoe of us who don't live in wide open spaces and have untold hours to dedicate to the new pup. The title is more than just a sales pitch, the author actually tells you how to let the pup train himself for the most part. Excellent reference for the newbie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cursory review, but non-specific beyond puppies, November 4, 2013
I bought this in preparation for our new German Shorthair Pointer. Overall, it was a good read in gaining insight into what was a new breed for us in a non GSP-specific manner. However, I found a lot of the content fairly vague and non-specific. I'm the type where if I get a training aid, I want to be told exactly what to do and this was lacking in that regard

5.0 out of 5 stars ken, January 25, 2013
Awesome book for the forst time trainer, not the most degail oriented book ever written but sufficient enough and really helps understand more of the basic premose behind everything from picking a pup, through its first year of development. Cautions what not to do as well as giving advice on what you should do and has a rough timeline to follow as well

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for your pup's first year!, November 4, 2011
This is the third time I have used "How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves" to expose a puppy to its first year of home and hunting and it is still working like a charm. I am having a very good season with my six month old wirehaired pointing griffon after following Joan Bailey's methods and recommend this book very highly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive, wanted more on health too, November 23, 2009
Everything in this book is great, just wanted more information on health of dogs... but besides that I think this is the best book you could buy for a new versatile hunting puppy. Just a heads up, buy the book and read before you look for a puppy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is definetly a book for beginners!, September 19, 2008
This book is great for in-experienced first time bird dog owners. Especially if you have a puppy. I have a little lab and I noticed she would follow turkey scents and chase them in our yard ( I moved to TN). I knew she had that instinct and has now become my "bird dog". But, I had no idea where to start in how to train her. I looked on the web but only found partial information. This book puts it together for me nicely and even has a little informal schedule on where your dog should be (depending on how ready she/he is.) After a year, the author recommends a second book if you need to fine tune your bird dog.

I am currently training her in sections, i.e. she comes to the whistle blowing and has put it together with retrieving. And I am so proud of her. We make a game of it and have a good time!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›